Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 18:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Due to" Vs. "Because of"

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
"Due to" Vs. "Because of" [#permalink] New post 09 May 2004, 20:54
Due to the continual rain, a smaller number of spectators witnessed the game than expected.
(B) Due to the continuous rain, a smaller number
(C) Due to the continual rain, a lesser number
(D) Because of the rain kept falling now and then, a smaller number
(E) Because of the continual rain, a smaller number

Please provide your rationale to justify "due to" or to justify "because of"

Dharmin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 402
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2004, 23:39
My choice (E),

"Due to" modfifies Noun,
while "Because of" modifies Verb, hence "because of" is needed to modify "continual"
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 654 [0], given: 781

Re: "Due to" Vs. "Because of" [#permalink] New post 10 May 2004, 00:26
Dharmin wrote:
Due to the continual rain, a smaller number of spectators witnessed the game than expected.
(B) Due to the continuous rain, a smaller number
(C) Due to the continual rain, a lesser number
(D) Because of the rain kept falling now and then, a smaller number
(E) Because of the continual rain, a smaller number

Please provide your rationale to justify "due to" or to justify "because of"

Dharmin


Dharmin

i would be interested to know where you got his SC from. its really strange.

continuous -- uninterrupted

continual - occuring at regular intervals ( === now and then)

only A and E are possible

because of is always preferable to "due to" and "since", when the meaning of the sentence suggests "the reason why " ...i remember reading it...but let me check bartleby..

I think its E

regards
praet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Due to" Vs. "Because of" [#permalink] New post 10 May 2004, 20:56
Praetorian wrote:
Dharmin wrote:
Due to the continual rain, a smaller number of spectators witnessed the game than expected.
(B) Due to the continuous rain, a smaller number
(C) Due to the continual rain, a lesser number
(D) Because of the rain kept falling now and then, a smaller number
(E) Because of the continual rain, a smaller number

Please provide your rationale to justify "due to" or to justify "because of"

Dharmin


Dharmin

i would be interested to know where you got his SC from. its really strange.

continuous -- uninterrupted

continual - occuring at regular intervals ( === now and then)

only A and E are possible

because of is always preferable to "due to" and "since", when the meaning of the sentence suggests "the reason why " ...i remember reading it...but let me check bartleby..

I think its E

regards
praet


Praet, i got this SC at Barron's GMAT Book

Well MBA and Preat, You both are correct answer is E

Thanks, Dharmin
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 654 [0], given: 781

Re: "Due to" Vs. "Because of" [#permalink] New post 10 May 2004, 21:09
Quote:

Praet, i got this SC at Barron's GMAT Book

Well MBA and Preat, You both are correct answer is E

Thanks, Dharmin


Avoid using that book, atleast for verbal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2004, 21:27
I was about to jump in at this point. The issue is between "continuous" and "continual"

"continual" refers to when something is incessant/recurrent.
ie. His "continual" harassment made me sick
ie. The "continual" rain prohibited me from going out

"continuous" refers to the property of continuity conferred upon an object/subject
ie. The continuous hatred between X and Y prohibited them from talking to each other
ie. The continuous line is drawn from point A to point B
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: "Due to" Vs. "Because of" [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 23:48
Yes the OA turns out to be E.

Only one parameter being asked.
Re: "Due to" Vs. "Because of"   [#permalink] 29 May 2013, 23:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Due To & because of sanjeebpanda 1 03 Jul 2013, 13:51
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Because vs Since vs Due to. z3nith 9 25 Mar 2013, 05:34
43 Experts publish their posts in the topic Due to Vs Because of egmat 22 09 Oct 2012, 17:37
due to vs because tt11234 6 21 Aug 2010, 08:37
GMAT Prep - SC - Because vs Due to maheshkrishna 2 20 Jun 2008, 09:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

"Due to" Vs. "Because of"

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.