Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Duke Cross Continent - Need some perspective [#permalink]
Like OP above, I received an email about Cross Continent program being a good fit for me after being waitlisted and eventually dinged from the Daytime MBA.

I've not researched Cross Continent before because I don't think I can handle the load of working full time + studying part-time. But I read that Fuqua awards the same degree to all its MBA programme, so in that sense, there is no difference from a Daytime MBA. But I'll be finding more about this and reaching out to current student or alumnus of the program.

Does anyone else have a POV on this program? Would like to hear GCers' opinion! :)
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBB
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Tinkered,

I'm a Fuqua Daytime MBA alum (who was also heavily involved in Fuqua admissions), so perhaps I can provide some insight on the differences between the 2 programs.

First of all, you are absolutely correct that Duke awards the same MBA degree for both programs. You will also use almost exactly the same curriculum and have access to many of the same professors as in the Daytime program. The CC MBA can be a fantastic option for many people, but is not ideal for others.

There are three key differences between the programs, and you'll have to think through how you would prioritize the trade offs when you make your decision:

1) Career services. If you are looking to switch careers, I highly recommend a Daytime program. While you will have access to job postings as a CC MBA, you'll miss out on all the networking that comes with being a member of a Daytime program. Firms that recruit on-campus often have several recruiting events prior to making interview offers, and these touch-points are incredibly valuable to the firms as they determine who they would like to bring aboard both as interns and full-time employees. (For example, my prior firm BCG allows CC MBAs to apply, but it's a lot harder for these students to navigate the process because the firm didn't have any opportunities to meet the applicant face-to-face; which is a huge part of the screening process). Similarly, a lot of firms use their internships as a means to give a trial run to potential employees; and they aim to fill up most of their full-time offers with former interns. As a CC MBA who can't take an internship, you'll find that you're in a much more competitive place trying to lock down one of the relatively fewer full-time slots available.

2) The student experience. Having spoken with many CC MBAs, the feedback I've heard is that the global residencies are great, but the logistical challenges of holding down a full-time job offer and then trying to coordinate doing daily team-based meetings with teammates around the globe is challenging (e.g. 11 PM eastern time team meetings). You also miss out if the rich social experience and networking with classmates that you get in the Daytime program. That said, you don't have to relocate or give up your job which can be a huge factor especially if you have a family.

3) Financial costs. Many Cross Continent MBAs are sponsored by their employers, and when you factor in that you don't have to give up your day job (and salary) you might be looking at saving $250K to attend CC versus Daytime (assuming your employer covers the ~$100K in tuition and you aren't giving up 2 years of a ~$75K salary)

In the end, it comes down to what tradeoffs you're willing to make.

I hope this was helpful both to you and future CC MBA applicants

-Jeff
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Duke Fuqua Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Duke Fuqua Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Duke Fuqua Forum for all fresh things related to the Duke Fuqua MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts