Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 12:49
Stupid question, but why cant I export the table from the first page to excel? Doesnt open properly, and wont give me an option to separate by comma delimiters.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:01
hailmary620 wrote:
What do you guys think of using excessive amount of humor during b-school interviews? All my life I have used humor quite extensively during job interviews and that never hurted me. I feel like since b-schools interviews are more casual than job interviews, being funny won't hurt.

During my Tuck interview, my interviewer laughed at pretty much each of my responses (even when I wasn't trying to be funny). He did make a positive comment on my personality, but not sure if its a good thing or not.

Fit is such a big factor at bschools that I would just advise you to be yourself. If you are funny and you repress it, it can't help but come out. Likewise, if someone is less social, that vibe leaks out of the seams as well.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:02
hailmary620 wrote:
What do you guys think of using excessive amount of humor during b-school interviews? All my life I have used humor quite extensively during job interviews and that never hurted me. I feel like since b-schools interviews are more casual than job interviews, being funny won't hurt.

During my Tuck interview, my interviewer laughed at pretty much each of my responses (even when I wasn't trying to be funny). He did make a positive comment on my personality, but not sure if its a good thing or not.

Be yourself, if its genuine humor, and doesn't come off as trying to be funny, go for it. The interviewer will be a second year, they want to recommend people they would have been happy to see in their own classes and groups. Personally, I honestly do not know how to interact with people without lacing it with some light, or dry humor... That's just who I am. Duke, more then anywhere else, is about fit. Let your personality shine through.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:03
hailmary620 wrote:

I think it's important to let your personality shine through, and if humor is a big part of that, then by all means use it. But still keep in mind that the main goal is to provide clear and compelling answers to the questions you are given, and if excessive humor gets in the way of that, then I would tone it down and only inject humor in a few appropriate places. IMO, humor by itself won't hurt you, but it could hurt you if it convolutes your answer or detracts from the main points you want to make.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:14
When I signed for an interview slot, I remember seeing an evening event on February 16.
I cannot find it now. Did you dream it?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 10:01
Expert's post
hailmary620 wrote:

As long as you get your points across (i.e. selling yourself, why school, career progression), it is fine. I actively tried to incorporate some in to my walk-thru for job interviews. And I’m sure your humor is work appropriate.

At the end of the day, you want to be at a place that accepts you for you. If you are the goofy type, and the school (in general) isn’t, it may make a miserable experience.

Diversity

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: 1540 Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 9

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 10:40
I'm interviewing on the 15th and doing some events on the 16th as well. My fiancee and I will just have to celebrate Valentine's Day the night of the 16th; I will be traveling on the 14th.

I'm local to the area, so I'm happy to give tips about dining, bars, etc.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 10:44
asimov wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

As long as you get your points across (i.e. selling yourself, why school, career progression), it is fine. I actively tried to incorporate some in to my walk-thru for job interviews. And I’m sure your humor is work appropriate.

At the end of the day, you want to be at a place that accepts you for you. If you are the goofy type, and the school (in general) isn’t, it may make a miserable experience.

Always a pleasure to get a feedback from an alum. Yes, my humor is definitely work appropriate. I won't classify myself as goofy as I have a very dry sense of humor and I never laugh at my jokes. Let's hope that the interviewer doesn't think that I am weird.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 11:03
HinConsulting wrote:
I'm interviewing on the 15th and doing some events on the 16th as well. My fiancee and I will just have to celebrate Valentine's Day the night of the 16th; I will be traveling on the 14th.

My advice, tell the fiance to come along if the partners club is hosting an event. They're great, and really sold my wife on the experience.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 12:55
hailmary620 wrote:
asimov wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Always a pleasure to get a feedback from an alum. Yes, my humor is definitely work appropriate. I won't classify myself as goofy as I have a very dry sense of humor and I never laugh at my jokes. Let's hope that the interviewer doesn't think that I am weird.

I'm hoping they will see weird as a good fit! I'm weird and enjoy being around other weird people. I'm definitely not the typical b-school applicant.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 10:38
Is there anyone who interviewed during the open session and applied in R2?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.59

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 11:15
I interviewed during the Duke MBA Weekend for Women. Does that count?

RoyHalladay wrote:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 13:04
If anyone interviewed at Duke recently and is willing to share experience about campus visit and interview, would love to have a chat (you can PM me) as I am interviewing in a week. I am happy to share my experience as well.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 13:12
highwyre237 wrote:
HinConsulting wrote:

My advice, tell the fiance to come along if the partners club is hosting an event. They're great, and really sold my wife on the experience.

hi highwyre,

would you mind tell me a little more about the partner club? did you attend an event? what was your experience?

i am thinking about applying round 3.

and generally, any suggestion or anything i should know about Duke's round 3?

thanks in advance!!
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 16:33
zl2012 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
HinConsulting wrote:

hi highwyre,

would you mind tell me a little more about the partner club? did you attend an event? what was your experience?

thanks in advance!!

I don't know anything about the Partner's Club but in general, schools fill about 90%+ of their class before Round 3 so your chances of getting in are much less than Rounds 1 or 2.
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 18:55
zl2012 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
HinConsulting wrote:

hi highwyre,

thanks in advance!!

My wife an I attended an event on campus, and we've reached out to a few current and past partners. The main thing I took away from it all is that partners are as big a part of team fuqua as their students. They are by far the most supportive and inclusive partners club we've interacted with. They have events almost every day, and are always welcome at fuqua fridays. I think their motto is "all the fuqua fun, without the homework" You'd get better information reaching out to club reps though. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
GPA: 3.77
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 06:10
RoyHalladay wrote:

I interviewed in the first week of October and applied in R2. Waiting to hear from them and don't know how it works. Will they wait till March 18 to let us know or let us know sooner? Good luck.
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 06:20
asharma86 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

I interviewed in the first week of October and applied in R2. Waiting to hear from them and don't know how it works. Will they wait till March 18 to let us know or let us know sooner? Good luck.

Everyone will be notified of March 18th regardless of when you interviewed. Good Luck!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
Done with my interview today. It was with a second year and lasted exactly 50 minutes. He was friendly and didn't throw any curveballs, but did quite a bit of cross questioning on my goals and why Duke answers. If your goal is not Healthcare, I think you should have a strong reason for Why Duke and Why not any other school. Also, my interviewer had nothing in common with me (not sure if its a good or bad thing). I was able to make him laugh on few occasions, but overall he was very professional and kept a poker face. Overall I am not sure if I did good or not. He did make a comment towards the end saying "wow, seems like you did a lot of research on Fuqua"

The questions included:
1) Why MBA? Why now?
2) Why Duke? Why not other schools?
3) Strengths
5) One thing you fear about being a Duke student
6) Post MBA plans
7) What do you do for fun?
8) Anything else you want to share with Adcom
9) Do you have any questions for me

If anyone has a chance to inteview on Fr/Sat make sure to attend Fuqua Friday. There were about 600-700 people and everybody I met was very friendly. I think this whole "Team Fuqua" thing is legit. Also, everyone had a pretty good sense of humor. The waits begins now.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 12:31
hailmary620 wrote:
Done with my interview today. It was with a second year and lasted exactly 50 minutes. He was friendly and didn't throw any curveballs, but did quite a bit of cross questioning on my goals and why Duke answers. If your goal is not Healthcare, I think you should have a strong reason for Why Duke and Why not any other school. Also, my interviewer had nothing in common with me (not sure if its a good or bad thing). I was able to make him laugh on few occasions, but overall he was very professional and kept a poker face. Overall I am not sure if I did good or not. He did make a comment towards the end saying "wow, seems like you did a lot of research on Fuqua"

The questions included:
1) Why MBA? Why now?
2) Why Duke? Why not other schools?
3) Strengths
5) One thing you fear about being a Duke student
6) Post MBA plans
7) What do you do for fun?
8) Anything else you want to share with Adcom
9) Do you have any questions for me

If anyone has a chance to inteview on Fr/Sat make sure to attend Fuqua Friday. There were about 600-700 people and everybody I met was very friendly. I think this whole "Team Fuqua" thing is legit. Also, everyone had a pretty good sense of humor. The waits begins now.

Thanks for that superbly helpful post hailmary620! Did you send a thank you email after the interview? And if so, how did you go about getting the interviewer's address? I have an interview scheduled in a few days, and I'm finding the thank you letter etiquette quite confusing. I'm not sure whether it is customary in these situations, and if it is expected, I'm not sure when/how to ask the interviewer for his/her contact details. Any opinions on this from anyone would be much appreciated. Thanks guys, and good luck with your interviews!
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2013, 12:31