Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Board of Directors
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jumsumtak wrote:
Can someone help with the first recommendation question.:

Please describe the peer group to which you are comparing the applicant.

What exactly does the recommender needs to answer here?

Posted from my mobile device

Your recommender should talk about who they're comparing you to. For example, if you work in investment banking, you typically come in with a group of other analysts who are all about the same in age/ experience level/ etc (e.g. an analyst class); if you did Teach for America, you could be compared to the other TFA teachers at the school where you taught. The tricky part to this is if you worked at a small company or even on a 1-on-1 basis somewhere where there's no direct person to compare you to. In that case you might be compared to other people who applied for the position or other people at the company, regardless of title or seniority. Your recommender should use his or her best judgment in deciding what to write -- imo, if your recommender is having difficulty with this question, they might not be the best person to write this letter for you.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hi,

I am applying to Fuqua EA. Have all the other essays written, but struggling badly with 25 random points. I have about 15 which cover interests, peronality characters, defining / life time events, passion, favorite book / movie. I have about 5 that to me (or the way i have written them) seem trivial - small events in my life of little significance but somehow memorable / oddities / favorite painting / photo. I am struggling to come up with the last 5 random points, because after thinking so much, these have stopped being random and are increasingly becoming "fabricated" where I am trying to show myself in a positve light. Also not sure how I make the seemingly trivial ones more relevant within the word limit. I have spoken to friends and family to fish out points. I have read my FB timeline to discover things, but now I am reaching my wit's end. Any suggestions? I am worried that I will write something and at the interview (if i am so lucky) they can pick those points and want me to elaborate, but will very quickly realise that they are not of significance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello, I am applying in Early round for MBA at Duke. I have 4 yrs of full time work ex in marketing. i am presently working as full time volunteer (not employed) in an ngo. so in my resume and application should i mention volunteer work, under community involvement or work exp? also, I have done my undergraduation in english from delhi. do i need to give a toefl score?
VP
VP
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
Can someone help with the first recommendation question.:

Please describe the peer group to which you are comparing the applicant.

What exactly does the recommender needs to answer here?

Your recommender should talk about who they're comparing you to. For example, if you work in investment banking, you typically come in with a group of other analysts who are all about the same in age/ experience level/ etc (e.g. an analyst class); if you did Teach for America, you could be compared to the other TFA teachers at the school where you taught. The tricky part to this is if you worked at a small company or even on a 1-on-1 basis somewhere where there's no direct person to compare you to. In that case you might be compared to other people who applied for the position or other people at the company, regardless of title or seniority. Your recommender should use his or her best judgment in deciding what to write -- imo, if your recommender is having difficulty with this question, they might not be the best person to write this letter for you.

thanks for this... he just wanted a clarification.. this helps
VP
VP
Send PM
Winds81 wrote:
Hi,

I am applying to Fuqua EA. Have all the other essays written, but struggling badly with 25 random points. I have about 15 which cover interests, peronality characters, defining / life time events, passion, favorite book / movie. I have about 5 that to me (or the way i have written them) seem trivial - small events in my life of little significance but somehow memorable / oddities / favorite painting / photo. I am struggling to come up with the last 5 random points, because after thinking so much, these have stopped being random and are increasingly becoming "fabricated" where I am trying to show myself in a positve light. Also not sure how I make the seemingly trivial ones more relevant within the word limit. I have spoken to friends and family to fish out points. I have read my FB timeline to discover things, but now I am reaching my wit's end. Any suggestions? I am worried that I will write something and at the interview (if i am so lucky) they can pick those points and want me to elaborate, but will very quickly realise that they are not of significance.

same here.. but isn't the interview blind? (the interviewer does not get to see the whole app but just the resume)

none the less we need to dig deep and come up with something relevant.. i think giving it 4-5 days might help.. EA deadline is 19th Sept. so keep jotting whatever small things you can remember instead of freezing the essay..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
travisz wrote:
abou wrote:
travisz wrote:
Any reapplicants?

I applied in 3rd round earlier this year and got denied. Will reapply in the first round this year.

Also reapplying. Rd3 applicant, interviewed and denied

Did you figure out the online application for reapplicant? Do you create another account or log in with old credentials.

Create a new account. You will be prompted that an account with those credentials already exists but still go ahead and create. use a different password though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
what does "native of North Carolina" mean?

If I was not born here but have been living in NC in last 5 years. Am I a native of NC?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
travisz wrote:
what does "native of North Carolina" mean?

If I was not born here but have been living in NC in last 5 years. Am I a native of NC?

My understanding is that you are considered a native if and only if you were born there (see: Native American). So, if we're going to get semantic about it, I'd say you are a local, but not a native.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi,

What is the avg. work experience at Duke ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi all !
There is just one week before the early round .I am so nervous about clicking the submit button of the online application. Are you also revising your essays in these last couple of days?Any Suggestions for this...
Thank you")
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey Everyone,

Was trying to do a search for this with no luck...anyone know where I can find the list of questions that Duke will ask of the people we choose to recommend us?

I know I have seen it around before.

Thanks
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
MilindJ wrote:
Hi,

The first post has been updated. It now includes the Class of 2014 Profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Turbonash6 wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Was trying to do a search for this with no luck...anyone know where I can find the list of questions that Duke will ask of the people we choose to recommend us?

I know I have seen it around before.

Thanks

You can find them on the Fuqua apply page, after the Essay questions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
MilindJ wrote:
Hi,

Hey, I'm curious as to where you got some of the information on the first page...it slightly varies from the class of 2014 profile information on the Duke website, (ie GMAT range is different and there is no avg GMAT listed)
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
threestripes wrote:
MilindJ wrote:
Hi,

Hey, I'm curious as to where you got some of the information on the first page...it slightly varies from the class of 2014 profile information on the Duke website, (ie GMAT range is different and there is no avg GMAT listed)

I don't know how to update the quick glance numbers so that chart still reflects the Class of 2013 Profile. I just added the info from the Duke website to the post. You'll see those numbers closer to the bottom of the post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
My recommender skipped the written evaluation page by mistake and submitted the reccomendation. She is unable to edit or resubmit the form. Someone please suggest on what should I do? I'm royally screwed!!
Board of Directors
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
bbharuka wrote:
My recommender skipped the written evaluation page by mistake and submitted the reccomendation. She is unable to edit or resubmit the form. Someone please suggest on what should I do? I'm royally screwed!!

Call or email admissions to see if they can reset her recommendation form.

Also, you don't really need to cross-post this in the same forum....

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts