Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 6

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
Like some of the posters above, I was really bummed not to get a phone call after getting the online acceptance letter. It's been 2 days already and I haven't heard from anyone...

The whole bschool application process reminds me a bit of 'rush,' if any of you were in the Greek system in college. It's definitely a hands-on process that requires a lot of high-touch communication. There's nothing that can quite replace the thrill of getting a phone call inviting you to the 'cool kids club.' It generates a lot more excitement than to get a letter with no personal touch. I definitely appreciate that students are on vacation and ad coms are busy, but maybe next year they'll start doing calls before the email notification.

Nonetheless, excited to get an acceptance!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 8

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
alis wrote:
krudget wrote:
alis wrote:
Like some of the posters above, I was really bummed not to get a phone call after getting the online acceptance letter. It's been 2 days already and I haven't heard from anyone...

The whole bschool application process reminds me a bit of 'rush,' if any of you were in the Greek system in college. It's definitely a hands-on process that requires a lot of high-touch communication. There's nothing that can quite replace the thrill of getting a phone call inviting you to the 'cool kids club.' It generates a lot more excitement than to get a letter with no personal touch. I definitely appreciate that students are on vacation and ad coms are busy, but maybe next year they'll start doing calls before the email notification.

I'd gladly take an acceptance and no call, rather than a waitlist. :P

Maybe your interviewer got sidetracked by life. These things happen. I got into seven medical schools a few years ago. I got a phone call from precisely zero of them. I was thrilled with every one of them. We're all different though :)

Well good point! It's probably a matter of expectations. I had always heard about everyone getting 'the call' so in my mind that became the norm. Definitely appreciative to get an acceptance though, so I don't mean to sound picky.

Fuqua is unique in that it has a hugely student-led culture more pervasive than others. There are Pros and Cons to this and one of the Cons may be that admitted students don't receive first news of their admittance through a phone call. The Pros though are that admitted students DO eventually get phone calls from their interviewers and Fuqua buddies and that once on-campus, students will have numerous opportunities to lead and make their own impact!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 16:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
alis wrote:
krudget wrote:
alis wrote:

I'd gladly take an acceptance and no call, rather than a waitlist. :P

Maybe your interviewer got sidetracked by life. These things happen. I got into seven medical schools a few years ago. I got a phone call from precisely zero of them. I was thrilled with every one of them. We're all different though :)

Well good point! It's probably a matter of expectations. I had always heard about everyone getting 'the call' so in my mind that became the norm. Definitely appreciative to get an acceptance though, so I don't mean to sound picky.

For me, at this point in the process when I'm lucky enough to have multiple admits, I want to attend a school where I feel like I'm a valued person. If I'm going to pay someone $200k, I want to know that it's appreciated. Being just another goat in the herd when other farmers are rolling out the red carpet for me isn't super appealing.

Now, I love Duke. It's been a long process for me to get to this point with Fuqua and I am really appreciative of my offer. Relatively speaking though, when my phone is ringing off the hook with various Ross students calling and I have hand-written holiday cards from Yale in my mailbox, the lack of contact from Duke becomes very evident. I understand that Duke is student-led, and if students want to do the calling that's great -- but they should do it efficiently knowing that other schools have this part of the process down to a science, and at the end of the day, I as the customer can still choose to take my business elsewhere. Extending an offer doesn't close the deal.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
highwyre237 wrote:
Don't mind me sitting here in the background secretly hoping that you all get so upset by the lack of calls that none of you matriculate... and open up a spot for me :-)

Yeah, god the adcom and fuqua students are the worst! grumble grumble grumble

::fades into the background::

Krudget already has dibs on my spot, but you'll be next :P

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
anonymice wrote:
I am hoping I could get some of your advice on a perhaps unique situation I'm currently in with respect to Duke.

I work at a relatively small firm. Other than myself, there are two other guys (guy A and guy B) from my firm who are applying to b-schools this year (Duke and others).
It turns out we are applying to almost exactly the same schools in the same round.A

Guy A and myself have not gotten recommendation letters from our current supervisors at the firm because they would be upset if we stated our intentions to leave. So we have gotten letters from clients, former firm, etc.

But Guy B has gotten letters from current supervisors at the firm. The reason he was able to do this is because he quit last fall, then asked for the letters. However, despite the fact that his employment has ended and he has not come to work for the last few months, on his application he stated that he is still employed at the firm and will be employed until the spring of this year. The current supervisors who wrote the letters agreed to keep this a secret from adcoms.
He even sent around an email on the last day telling us to basically to lie if adcoms or background checkers called.

Basically what he's been doing since fall is sitting at home exclusively working on his MBA apps, retaking the GMATs, going on campus visits, etc.

I truly think what Guy B is doing is really really unethical and it also damages my and Guy A's chances because we're applying to the same schools. I don't dislike Guy B and generally wish him well, but I really think what he is doing is cheating adcoms, me, fellow students, etc.

Please let me know what I should do? Should I inform the adcoms about this?

This a tough spot to be in and is really two pieces 1) Getting a recommender other than your current supervisor 2) Facing an unethical situation. For 1) It isn't a requirement to get a recommendation from a current supervisor and I don't think it's a big deal for the adcoms to not get current recommenders--they know the deal and don't want you to jeopardize your employment. This is something you can easily explain in the optional essay--which I did. The important piece is to get people who can speak to your personal and professional growth. I personally did not get one for the reason you mentioned above "firm is upset if you tell them you are applying to get your MBA" and they were only my supervisor for a few months. Instead, I got one recommendation from a former supervisor and a more senior mentor who I had a good relationship with over the years. For 2) I'm not sure you want to open up that can of worms. While it's clearly very unethical what he is doing the two of you both work/worked for the same company and it will only raise eyebrows even if you have the best intentions. Focus on making sure you have the best app possible. Finally, is the HR group at your company in on it as well? The reason I ask is that they (Duke's Third Party verification provider) will call HR to verify his employment if he is admitted. If they are not if will quickly become evident that he is not being truthful.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
funemployed wrote:
funemployed wrote:
asimov wrote:
The issue of not closing the deal isn’t anything new and has been brought up to many times in different forums to the school. There are a high level of interest from the student body to reach out on a volunteer basis, but as highhopes said, the students’ hands are tied, and frankly, I believe there is strong entrenched interest in AdCom to keep control. Hopefully, as Megan gain more experience on the job, things will change for the better.

I know all of Fuqua students/alum would agree that having a strong student body is one of the most important aspects of Team Fuqua. Having interacted with several great admits who turned down the offer because of the distaste in the admit experience, I am deeply disappointed at the admission’s performance.

Luckily, the experience as a student has no correlation with the admit experience.

Hi Asimov, how was your experience with the career management center at Fuqua? I know that CMC and admissions are not correlated, but the callousness of adcom make me doubt the entire Fuqua administration.

Can some current student/alumni comment on the career management center at Duke? Thanks.

Two or three years ago the career management center (CMC) wasn't so great. They were lacking in the number of staff needed and the quality of staff was so-so. Over the past couple of years there has been major changes however, especially in light of some of the lower rankings Fuqua received on the CMC side. To improve things, they hired 10 additional staff members to bring the CMC to 30 full time employees and did a major reorg so staff was better aligned with student needs. If you're concerned about job placement, you can take a look at the most recent Fuqua employment report here: http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.71
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Scholarship calls are still going! I just got mine a few hours ago. :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 19

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 15:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
funemployed wrote:
Hi Asimov, how was your experience with the career management center at Fuqua? I know that CMC and admissions are not correlated, but the callousness of adcom make me doubt the entire Fuqua administration.

Overall, I think the CMC does a good job with the resources it has. However, it’s difficult to make a super insightful judgment, since I do not have experience with other school’s CMC.

CMC’s job is to get the companies to come on campus to recruit. It is your job to convert that opportunity into a job. I think Fuqua’s CMC does a decent job in getting companies to come on campus with factors within its control. If I were to change CMC, I would try to bring a more diverse set of companies on campus (industry, location, function), and try to get more companies that hire international students. Reading the student feedbacks from the BW survey, Fuqua isn’t alone in dealing with these issues.

Diversity

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 6

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 20:00
This post received
KUDOS
funemployed wrote:
Any reports of scholarship call by international candidates? I am not sure how long it would take to get the admission package delivered in India.

Also, I messaged my interviewer (2y student) on the day the results were out, but I haven't received any congratulatory call/note from him. Did all the accepted candidates hear from their interviewer?

Folks who received $$$ - did only the adcom call you and not your interviewer?

I heard today from ad com about $$$ (it was very generous; I was so surprised!!). Haven't heard from my interviewer, but got the email about Fuqua mentor and will connect with them soon. The ad com person also told me I'd be connected with an alum shortly.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 14:27
This post received
KUDOS
sgrunt wrote:
Has anyone applying in R2 been invited for an interview?

IndianExpress wrote:
Has any R2 applicant got an interview call?

Duke notifies everyone of interview invites on one day. You will find out on 07-Feb. That will be the date all invites get sent out.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 9

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 02:56
This post received
KUDOS
funemployed wrote:
Those who have received the admission package - is there something in it that I will require right away or everything can be found on the admitted students website and the unofficial guide? I am asking this because I am having my package delivered at my permanent address (1000 kms from where I live). Should I take the pain to get it couriered to me right away or is it something that i can wait to collect in March when I go home?

Appreciate your help.

Apologies for the late reply.

There is nothing in particular that you will require right away. You already have the admit student website login. The to-do checklist is already there. You can also accept the decision online. There is one page that tells you how to send your deposit, either through demand draft or wiretransfer. I am not sure whether wiretransfer details are on the website. Rest, you will find everyting on the admit student website. Just make sure that you send the deposit and official transcripts by Feb 27.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
A recent Financial Times interview with the Deputy CEO of Deloitte, Brian Derksen, about his MBA experience at Fuqua: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/bbb25d8a ... z2JKULdyX7

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
ritzoo wrote:
7 days to go for Interview calls R2 applicants ! excited! :)

Same here. Good Luck!

Does anyone know what time the email usually arrives? It will be hard to focus on work that morning.

For R1 it was just after 12:30pm est
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 8

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
bond007 wrote:
jontron wrote:
bond007 wrote:
Any idea when we will be contacted for the background checks? Did the EA guys already go through it?

ReVera sent me a form that I had to sign to authorize and initiate the process. This was after I submitted my deposit (I think).

hmm sent my R1 deposit a few weeks ago and haven't been contacted yet. How long did the entire verification process take for you?

Minor correction: Fuqua sent me the forms so that I could initiate the process with ReVera.

Here is my timeline:

My deposit cleared on 11/15/2012
Fuqua sent me the forms to authorize the background check on 11/19/2012
I sent the forms back on 11/25/2012
ReVera completed their check by 11/27/2012
Office of Admissions confirmed that my background check was completed on 11/30/2012

I was surprised how fast everything took on their end. However, there are very few total admits across all programs that need to be processed in the middle of November. As the number of applicants and acceptances swell in Round 1 and Round 2, I would imagine that the turnaround time for the checks lengthens also.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
rainfall wrote:
I'm chewing my nails
Somebody said that last round they sent the invitations by 12:35.
Here is 11:36, but I'm 3 hours ahead EST :D

I am not sure invitation will be received at the same time. It may be some delay.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 15

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 08:55
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
Good luck today, everyone! Just so you know, last year R2 invites went out at 5:18pm et, so you could be in for the long haul today. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised with an earlier email though! I have my fingers crossed for all of you.

No way!!

Then I won't check my e-mail anymore today. 5pm et is 8pm here.
LBS' response is scheduled for Feb 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent us the response earlier than Fuqua :grin:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 9

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
A buddy of mine once said that getting the acceptance call feels better than getting married or having a kid :-D

I am sure it will be :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
asiddiqi86 wrote:
Ok i was under the impression that even if your interview is positive then they might go back and look at all the application material and if you are pitted against someone who had a good interview but has like better rec, essays or gmat/gpa higher than you then you'll be dinged anyway irrespective of the interview.

Honestly none of us applicants know the inner workings of the admissions process. All you can do, if you get an invite, is do really well during the interview. The rest is out of your control. Dont get bogged down in the details trying to compare yourself against others -- it will just drive you crazy and nothing will come of it.

As a reapplicant, I can say that my Duke interview this year was my best one, and I was admitted. I came away from my interview last year unsure of how I did and I was subsequently waitlisted.

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 118

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
kingme wrote:
Awake the whole night at the 'Youth Square' in Bangladesh to protest for injustice. Came back home and the first thing i did is to power up my withered laptop and check the application status!! guess what! Invited :DDD couldn't be happier!

Best wishes to all.

-Rupok

Congratulations Rupok bhai! =D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
Any idea when you get the scheduling email is sent out? I want to book my expensive flight, before it goes more expensive.

It's out now. Open dates in Durham range from 2/14 - 2/23 with the option to schedule activities such as tours, lunches, receptions and class visits. Good luck!
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2013, 14:48