Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:26
EChopeful12 wrote:
Had my interview yesterday. Wasn't asked anything crazy but I totally screwed up one question. She asked for 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses and I came up with 3 strengths and 2 weaknesses and then I totally blanked and she said we could just move on. Not good.

I mean, 85%+ of the interview went pretty well I feel but there are a few things I wish I would have said differently... Now the wait.

They are not going to ding you because of 1/6th of an answer. I screwed up on "Biggest Achievement Question" also. (talked about how I went from really low GPA to graduating with high honors). Now, I think I should have talked about my professional achievement. I think all they care about is the overall fit with Duke and ask all these questions to see if you can display a link with Fuqua.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:31
hailmary620 wrote:
EChopeful12 wrote:
Had my interview yesterday. Wasn't asked anything crazy but I totally screwed up one question. She asked for 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses and I came up with 3 strengths and 2 weaknesses and then I totally blanked and she said we could just move on. Not good.

I mean, 85%+ of the interview went pretty well I feel but there are a few things I wish I would have said differently... Now the wait.

They are not going to ding you because of 1/6th of an answer. I screwed up on "Biggest Achievement Question" also. (talked about how I went from really low GPA to graduating with high honors). Now, I think I should have talked about my professional achievement. I think all they care about is the overall fit with Duke and ask all these questions to see if you can display a link with Fuqua.

True. I hate these interviews. I always have great answers lined up and then my nerves kick in and I end up saying a few stupid things. At least the interviewer laughed at some of my jokes/comments haha
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.92

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 11:19
Redtailedhawk wrote:
Enjoyed my visit, class and interview, it was nice spending time with first years and prospectives. Ready to play the waiting game.

Agree with others sentiments that the 2nd years lose a little bit by having to fill out their official note form and thus it often can dominate the overall interview. Despite this, their ability to select from about 30 questions or so is useful to keep the process 'uniform' and make sure that interviewer skill is limited in the process. The interview itself is very much like other places, straightforward and looking for fit.

Can you guys please post the specific questions you were asked? Would really help us out!
Thanks!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 31

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 11:38
there is an extensive prep list on page 56
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 16:54
Also a bunch of questions on clear admit

Posted from my mobile device Image

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 18:47
Are there any current students pursuing a career in finance on here? If so would you mind messaging me? Have a couple of quick questions.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [4] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
Good Businessweek interview with Fuqua Dean Bill Boulding on Fuqua's Future (published yesterday, 2/19):
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... uas-future
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 06:07
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
Good Businessweek interview with Fuqua Dean Bill Boulding on Fuqua's Future (published yesterday, 2/19):
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... uas-future

thanks
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 06:43
For those of you who are R1 admits and already paid RE VERA Services last week, have any of your recommenders been contacted yet?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 07:16
Mine haven't been contacted, but I didn't pay until Thursday and receive confirmation of receipt until Friday, so it's only been a couple of business days.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 07:41
ctgmat123 wrote:
Are there any current students pursuing a career in finance on here? If so would you mind messaging me? Have a couple of quick questions.

Hey ctgmat123,

Did you get any responses? I am also looking into finance and wanted to know ppl's responses. Feedback from anyone?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:06
For those who were admitted in the ED Round, have people received any notification on their background check? I submitted my payment back in December, and I know ReVera was working on it around that time since they contacted me for some information. However, since then, I've heard nothing from them.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
finished interview 2 hours ago with 2nd year student (skype)
I think my overall performance is good.
some issue with the connexion; I cannot see my interviewer, some interruptions during discussion.
Hope to receive good news in the couple of weeks.

Questions:
Tell me about yourself?
Why mba?
Why Duke?
Short-term /long-term goal?
What preparation for mba in regard to finance,accouting (as i came from technology)?
Failure example?
Teamwork experience?
Leadership example?
Leader that inspire you?
Your leadership at Duke?

Last edited by bvbouba on 21 Feb 2013, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 14:08
bond007 wrote:
For those of you who are R1 admits and already paid RE VERA Services last week, have any of your recommenders been contacted yet?

One of my recommenders was contacted today so it looks like they are going through the list.

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 15:18
canada07 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

One of my recommenders was contacted today so it looks like they are going through the list.

Just wondering what do they ask those recommenders?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 23:23
Hi,

Is Fuqua hard to apply in R3? (Last Round). Who would apply in R3? Share some of your insights plz.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 23:46
For all those who were invited for interview/not invited, did your application status change from Submitted to Completed-Application under review or something similar. Mine still says Submitted and I'm a little concerned that I may not have all the information in. Any information on this is most appreciated gents.

- N
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 06:53
chusu123 wrote:
For all those who were invited for interview/not invited, did your application status change from Submitted to Completed-Application under review or something similar. Mine still says Submitted and I'm a little concerned that I may not have all the information in. Any information on this is most appreciated gents.

- N

I was thinking the same thing. Mine still says submitted as well, after interview.
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 04:56
EChopeful12 wrote:

I know how you feel. I had mine recently, had to pause for a few seconds to answer one question. I eventually came up with what I think is a good answer, but I'm not sure whether those few seconds did any damage or not. :(
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 05:39
wpye86 wrote:
Hi,

Is Fuqua hard to apply in R3? (Last Round). Who would apply in R3? Share some of your insights plz.

Thanks

I think its generally accepted that any Elite+ school is tougher in R3. Your competing with waitlisters to round out the class and have fewer scholarship opportunities.

theK wrote:
EChopeful12 wrote:

I know how you feel. I had mine recently, had to pause for a few seconds to answer one question. I eventually came up with what I think is a good answer, but I'm not sure whether those few seconds did any damage or not. :(

Repeating the question and thinking about the question for a few seconds doesn't do damage... It shows thought and can show that you're not an over rehersed automaton. It should be a good conversation. Don't worry about it.
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2013, 05:39