Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:09
Expert's post
I don’t think you should include ADHD just by itself. It would be better served as an optional essay, in which you decided your struggle and triumph over ADHD. Even then, unless it has significantly impaired you, I would not recommend putting it in your application.

Diversity

Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 31

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:13
Re: ADHD -

Check out this thread for good philosophical debates for both stances:
disclosing-adhd-in-business-school-application-mit-sloan-128482.html
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:36
I personally have ADHD also, but didn't ask for special treatment). I think you should try to retake the exam and try to bump up to at least 660+. Also keep in mind Duke admits around 60 students every year with 640 or lower, so you still have a shot.

The thing about Duke is that it has a quarter system, so your classes are longer than other schools (3 hours long classes). So if you can't sit still for 3 hours in GMAT, it will be difficult to survive in classes? Plus, not sure what your career plans are, but some employers ask for GMAT scores, so even if you get in, you will still be fighting your lower score. I would take the test again (doesn't matter how many times). I am personally against people who take the test under accommodations as I believe it gives unfair advantage. Also, I think schools won't look upon it favourably, if they find out that you got additional time. (just my opinion)

I know its really frustrating to take long tests for ADHD victims, but trust me with right amount of preparation and confidence, you can conquer any test.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Last edited by hailmary on 15 Mar 2013, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:47
hailmary620 wrote:
I personally have ADHD also, but was able to get a decent score after multiple attempts (didn't ask for special treatment). I think you should try to retake the exam and try to bump up to at least 660+. Also keep in mind Duke admits around 60 students every year with 640 or lower, so you still have a shot.

The thing about Duke is that it has a quarter system, so your classes are longer than other schools (3 hours long classes). So if you can't sit still for 3 hours in GMAT, it will be difficult to survive in classes? Plus, not sure what your career plans are, but some employers ask for GMAT scores, so even if you get in, you will still be fighting your lower score. I would take the test again (doesn't matter how many times). I am personally against people who take the test under accommodations as I believe it gives unfair advantage. Also, I think schools won't look upon it favourably, if they find out that you got additional time. (just my opinion)

I know its really frustrating to take long tests for ADHD victims, but trust me with right amount of preparation and confidence, you can conquer any test.

I too have ADHD and did not go for the extra timing or any mention on my essay. To be honest it would only work against you IMO. Perhaps you can take your prescribed ADHD medicine during the GMAT. Try it first during a practice exam to see if it helps, otherwise it may very well work against you and make you more anxious and less analytically capable.
PS 3 hour long classes sound like torture even for people without adhd lol :evil:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:55
Thanks for the responses guys. So if I get invited for an interview at a top school, should I still worried about the GMAT score? I interviewed at a top school, and think it went well, but I am still worried that they might reject me based on my GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:02
hailmary620 wrote:
I personally have ADHD also, but was able to get a decent score after multiple attempts (didn't ask for special treatment). I think you should try to retake the exam and try to bump up to at least 660+. Also keep in mind Duke admits around 60 students every year with 640 or lower, so you still have a shot.

Just a heads up, classes are only 2 hours long not 3.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:06
rocket1741 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. So if I get invited for an interview at a top school, should I still worried about the GMAT score? I interviewed at a top school, and think it went well, but I am still worried that they might reject me based on my GMAT score.

Every school is different. I think Duke looks at your whole application again after you interview, so you can get rejected based on a weakness adcom overlooked initially.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 35

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
rocket1741 wrote:

I have ADHD as well. I actually did mention it in my Duke application, though I didn't mention it in any of my other applications. I briefly talked about my experiences in my 25 things essay. If you do mention it, don't make it sound like an excuse or complaint, rather talk about what you've learned or how you've grown. My blurb on it was one line and the way I framed it I don't think it will hurt me, but you never quite know. It really depends on who is reading the application and whether they are sympathetic and understand ADHD. I did get a RD 2 interview so so far I don't think it's hurt me too bad, but we'll see if I get accepted.

Of course my GMAT is strong and I didn't get any accommodations with the test, but my undergrad transcripts and GPA are pretty meager - 3.2 GPA with multiple failed classes.

But like someone else mentioned, take your meds and retake the GMAT. you'll have a hard time getting in with a 600 I'd think.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:43
Completely agree with this assessment. I too have ADHD and didn't mention it on my app although if you are go with what was said here. On a side note just got the background verification is complete email from Duke so for those who are waiting it should be coming soon.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:52
canada07 wrote:
Completely agree with this assessment. I too have ADHD and didn't mention it on my app although if you are go with what was said here. On a side note just got the background verification is complete email from Duke so for those who are waiting it should be coming soon.

Same here verification completed. What a PITA that was!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:53
canada07 wrote:
On a side note just got the background verification is complete email from Duke so for those who are waiting it should be coming soon.

So it took about 3 weeks?

As far as I know, Cornell hasn't even had Revera reach out to admits yet...

Also, congrats on not lying :)
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:56
highwyre237 wrote:
canada07 wrote:
On a side note just got the background verification is complete email from Duke so for those who are waiting it should be coming soon.

Yep exactly 3 weeks. Gotta love the Duke Adcom, they are really on top of their game. IMO Cornell really dropped the ball this year with their application process.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:25
bond007 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
canada07 wrote:

Yep exactly 3 weeks. Gotta love the Duke Adcom, they are really on top of their game. IMO Cornell really dropped the ball this year with their application process.

Agreed, no complaints about Duke's adcom from me, but with Johnson... I didnt find out my R1 decision until about 3 weeks after decision day. It's been a mess.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:31
Is Duke decreasing its class size? It went down from 442 in 2013 to 432 in 2014.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 11

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
How does Fuqua compare to Darden for consulting placement? Especially m/b/b? Does anyone have any thoughts or info on this?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 11:22
Expert's post
rocket1741 wrote:
Is Duke decreasing its class size? It went down from 442 in 2013 to 432 in 2014.

Unless someone's heard otherwise from adcom, I'd guess a difference of 10 people is just yield variability from year to year

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 11:48
I have heard from Adcom that its preferred class size is 450, so I think its yield variability, which is surprising because Duke waitlist quite a few applicants. They should be able to scramble and get few applicants off the waitlists in summer. That's approx $2M in lost revenue for Fuqua.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Last edited by hailmary on 04 Mar 2013, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 11:50
TonyMontana896 wrote:
How does Fuqua compare to Darden for consulting placement? Especially m/b/b? Does anyone have any thoughts or info on this?

Employment reports. They are pretty detailed. Look em up.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 12:43
EChopeful12 wrote:
TonyMontana896 wrote:

Employment reports. They are pretty detailed. Look em up.

Boo hiss boo. Seriously though, I've looked them up. Fuqua has employment broken out by number of offers per company. Darden only has the employment broken out by industry and salary, and they have a list of companies that recruit. Darden also has listed on the website that 29% go into consulting, but on the 2011/12 employment report it says 20% went into consulting.

I'm looking for input from current students or people who have thoughts beyond the published reports. For example, at Fuqua or Darden, what portion of those gunning for mbb jobs actually get them. Y'know stuff like that.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
rocket1741 wrote:
I am a Rd3 applicant with a very low GMAT (low 600s). I also have been diagnosed with ADHD by a professional. Do you think it will be safe to disclose it to the adcom committee? What's Duke's policy on that? I have never taken the GMAT under special conditions, but now seriously considering it. Rest of my profile pretty strong, i think.

Just wanted to hear from the experts on this forum.

I would be leery of revealing that I had ADHD, especially if you're using it to say that's why you didn't do well on X, Y, or Z. The first question they'll ask themselves is "Will he be able to handle our MBA program then?" You don't want to tell them that you're not good at something without explaining how you've overcome it, and I don't see ADHD as something you just "overcome." I'd say you're better off retaking the GMAT with special conditions.

Important note: schools cannot discriminate based on disability, so it would in fact be illegal to reject you for this reason, but your low GMAT is reason in and of itself, so I wouldn't give them any more reason. That said, I am NOT AN EXPERT. I just want you to consider all sides and maybe call them yourself (without revealing your name).

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2013, 12:50