Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
someone said 10 for R2 in China although I think it should go to 20 and finally 10-15 accept the offer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
I just got an e-mail from Pearson Vue confirming an order for an official score report being sent to Duke. It says that it was just ordered today, though I haven't ordered any reports in months.

Would this be because Fuqua ordered the report? Anyone else get an e-mail like this?

It also says the order price is 56.00, but no payment was made, here is part of it below:

ORDER SUMMARY
Order Number: 0007-5983-4986
Order Date: Mar 13, 2013 11:17 AM (11:17)
Payment By: None
Order Price: USD 56.00
Amount Paid: USD 0.00
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
TrojanWarrior wrote:
asimov wrote:
Fuqua just move up one spot in US News ranking to #11 (https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... a-rankings)

I wonder why it is ranked #11 :( in US news but #6 :) in BusinessWeek? Anyone knows how US News comes up with their rankings? Ross is #14, which doesn't seem right.

If you look at the raw numbers Duke would be easily tied for 10 if it were not for it's low (compared to other top 10 schools) GMAT average of 690. Add 15 points to the average at a not unrealistic 705 and I think it's #10. Who knows, maybe that is their next step as career services excelled last year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
canada07 wrote:
TrojanWarrior wrote:
asimov wrote:
Fuqua just move up one spot in US News ranking to #11 (https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... a-rankings)

I wonder why it is ranked #11 :( in US news but #6 :) in BusinessWeek? Anyone knows how US News comes up with their rankings? Ross is #14, which doesn't seem right.

If you look at the raw numbers Duke would be easily tied for 10 if it were not for it's low (compared to other top 10 schools) GMAT average of 690. Add 15 points to the average at a not unrealistic 705 and I think it's #10. Who knows, maybe that is their next step as career services excelled last year.

I think Duke doesn't care much about the GMAT scores. What's interesting is that the GMAT scores are falling, but the placement stats are getting better. Is it because Duke admits more well-rounded, diverse and non-traditional students who might have lower scores, but are more marketable to the employers?

I honestly think that US News is biased when it comes to locations and the only reason Stern is ranked higher is because of it being in NYC. Look at Tuck: They don't deserved to be ranked 9th and/or below CBS & Haas.

Interested in hearing other opinions.
Director
Director
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
I just got an e-mail from Pearson Vue confirming an order for an official score report being sent to Duke. It says that it was just ordered today, though I haven't ordered any reports in months.

Would this be because Fuqua ordered the report? Anyone else get an e-mail like this?

It also says the order price is 56.00, but no payment was made, here is part of it below:

ORDER SUMMARY

hmm interesting. I don't think they have the authority to request your scores. And don't they require the official transcripts along with the application?

It might be that they are still shocked about your 50V and want to verify independently. haha.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

ORDER SUMMARY

hmm interesting. I don't think they have the authority to request your scores. And don't they require the official transcripts along with the application?

It might be that they are still shocked about your 50V and want to verify independently. haha.

Haha yeah that might be. Yeah I didn't think they would be able to request them either. It's also strange that it says the cost is $56 rather than $28 which I remember it being.

I was looking through old e-mails and found a previous message from Pearson. So I'm thinking it was because of this.

Quote:
Dear ,

I am writing to let you know that your GMAT scores were assigned to one or more of the inactive educational programs listed below.

Duke University
Graduate School
INACTIVE

During a system upgrade, inactive programs were made available in the list of possible programs to receive your GMAT score. Our system has been updated to remove these inactive programs and we will be refunding your fees for the those score reports assigned to the inactive program(s) in the next few days. We will send you a confirmation email when this is completed.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Quote:
Dear ,

I am writing to let you know that your GMAT scores were assigned to one or more of the inactive educational programs listed below.

Duke University
Graduate School
INACTIVE

During a system upgrade, inactive programs were made available in the list of possible programs to receive your GMAT score. Our system has been updated to remove these inactive programs and we will be refunding your fees for the those score reports assigned to the inactive program(s) in the next few days. We will send you a confirmation email when this is completed.

Yeah, I'm guessing that's it. On my score report Duke was presented like this
Quote:
Duke University - The Fuqua School of Business - MBA, Full Time
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

ORDER SUMMARY

I remember hearing somewhere that some schools only use your official transcript to verify your scores before they admit you. I think it means that you are on the "admitted" list and someone in adcom is just making sure that you didn't lie on the app. Given the timing, I doubt that they are just reviewing your app. Go buy yourself a drink!

oo good point! Congrats (most likely)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yeah I don't know, I sure hope that's the case! But I'd think others would have received a similar e-mail from Pearson, so I'm not going to get my hopes up yet. For now I'm just going to assume it was due to that inactive program code. It's just weird because that email about the inactive program code is a couple months old so I don't know why they would have taken so long to resend it. Oh well I'm going to try not to think about it too much haha.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
question for you guys: Im on the WL for Fuqua but I was admitted into Ross today. I consider both of them my top school so I'd really like fuqua to accept me so that I can check out BDW. Do you think I should inform admissions of my Ross acceptance before they send out R2 deadlines? Will this have any effect this late in round 2? I feel a little bad for using them as leverage against eachother.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Send PM
Any brave souls applying to Fuqua in R3? Anyone has an idea what percentage (approximately) of its class does Fuqua take in Round 3?

Trying to figure out what my odds are or if it's better to wait until R1 next year. I'd much rather get in this year though.

Thanks in advance!
Director
Director
Send PM
gsmon wrote:
Any brave souls applying to Fuqua in R3? Anyone has an idea what percentage (approximately) of its class does Fuqua take in Round 3?

Trying to figure out what my odds are or if it's better to wait until R1 next year. I'd much rather get in this year though.

Thanks in advance!

Odds are poor, because the spots will be minimal and you will be competing against people who got waitlisted in EA, Rd1 & Rd2. Duke's EA is in September, so you are better off waiting few months. If you are set on going to b-school this year, then you should apply to Duke and few schools who are known to be Rd3 friendly (booth/kellogg/darden).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Is there any chance we get the result earlier than Monday?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
suting wrote:

Lol, nope. Expect the decisions to come out early afternoon on Monday. We received our decision around 2pm.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
suting wrote:

Not unless they change how they've been releasing results for the past 2+ years.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
gsmon wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Odds are poor, because the spots will be minimal and you will be competing against people who got waitlisted in EA, Rd1 & Rd2. Duke's EA is in September, so you are better off waiting few months. If you are set on going to b-school this year, then you should apply to Duke and few schools who are known to be Rd3 friendly (booth/kellogg/darden).

Thanks HM! I actually interviewed at Duke during open interviews but because of a personal situation, couldn't apply in R2. I wonder how it'd look to adcom if I do not apply this year after interviewing. I'd think that with Darden's small class size, R3 would be virtually impossible whereas Duke has a bigger class.

Any idea on R3 odds at UCLA or Yale?
Director
Director
Send PM
gsmon wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
gsmon wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks HM! I actually interviewed at Duke during open interviews but because of a personal situation, couldn't apply in R2. I wonder how it'd look to adcom if I do not apply this year after interviewing. I'd think that with Darden's small class size, R3 would be virtually impossible whereas Duke has a bigger class.

Any idea on R3 odds at UCLA or Yale?

Hmm...the only reason why I think Yale might be good choice for Rd3 is because of the recent drop in rankings and the poor job placement. There might be some applicants who will go somewhere else just based on those two things. Regardless of what rankings say, I am still applying to Yale in round3 this year, because I think its a school which is bound to be in Top10 in few years. I am from a country which usually sends 0-1 kids to each school, so I am hoping that my unique background might help me.. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  70   71   72   73   74   75   76  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts