Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 04:45
Any R3 invites yet?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 04:53
Expert's post
lovelylady wrote:
Any R3 invites yet?

Invites will be sent via email (status update) on April 10 -- just one week away!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 05:02
aerien wrote:
lovelylady wrote:
Any R3 invites yet?

Invites will be sent via email (status update) on April 10 -- just one week away!

Thanks very much! :)
Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 08:40
Expert's post
aerien wrote:
That's the way my friend's building in Brightleaf Square is too. Check out the places you want to look at -- some complexes have rooms where the walls only go half way to the ceiling. That means you can hear everything that goes on (music playing, phone conversations, etc). I'm not really sure why it is the way it is, but I've only seen it in Durham :P
Your friend must live in West Village. It's one of those hip apartment converted from the old tobacco factory/warehouse, very close to downtown and the trendy areas of Durham. In my year, there weren't too many people living there, due to the issue with ALL walls only going half way up. It's an option if you live by yourself or with your wife/husband, but would not recommend if you are sharing. The rent is also significantly higher than the other places closer to Fuqua.

In general, I think the majority of Fuqua students live either at Alexan Place or S9. I left out Addington Farms, which I think maybe the 3rd most popular place.

There are other places like Lofts, Trinity Commons, and West Village, but I wouldn't say there's a critical mass there.

But I'm an old timers, things change so fast.

Diversity

Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 08:47
Expert's post
asimov wrote:
aerien wrote:
That's the way my friend's building in Brightleaf Square is too. Check out the places you want to look at -- some complexes have rooms where the walls only go half way to the ceiling. That means you can hear everything that goes on (music playing, phone conversations, etc). I'm not really sure why it is the way it is, but I've only seen it in Durham :P
Your friend must live in West Village. It's one of those hip apartment converted from the old tobacco factory/warehouse, very close to downtown and the trendy areas of Durham. In my year, there weren't too many people living there, due to the issue with ALL walls only going half way up. It's an option if you live by yourself or with your wife/husband, but would not recommend if you are sharing. The rent is also significantly higher than the other places closer to Fuqua.

In general, I think the majority of Fuqua students live either at Alexan Place or S9. I left out Addington Farms, which I think maybe the 3rd most popular place.

There are other places like Lofts, Trinity Commons, and West Village, but I wouldn't say there's a critical mass there.

But I'm an old timers, things change so fast.

Yes, West Village it is!! My friend isn't at Fuqua, but another graduate school at Duke; it still seemed most people at Fuqua are at S9 or Alexan.

aerien

Current Student
Schools: Duke '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 13:24
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on housing.

Just trying to decide what I might be missing out on if I'm not living at S9. I want to avoid a frat atmosphere, but don't want to feel isolated living on my own out at Trinity or Lofts.

Thanks again -
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 13:36
Slider wrote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on housing.

Just trying to decide what I might be missing out on if I'm not living at S9. I want to avoid a frat atmosphere, but don't want to feel isolated living on my own out at Trinity or Lofts.

Thanks again -

The Lofts/Trinity Commons community is pretty sizable. The Facebook group has over 70 members, and most of them are first years.

Sharing a house with some classmates is also an option - a much more affordable one at that. A number of first years are moving out of S9, Lofts, TC and the Alexan complexes to rent a house next year. These houses are mostly located close to 9th St.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 18:08
I'm interested in a 2 bedroom at Station 9 to share with a fellow Fuquan. Just out of curiosity - how quickly do these rooms go at S9? I probably won't have the roommate situation figured out until after BDW (April 19) but am wondering if I should start communicating with the S9 management prior to then? I don't want to get closed out of the complex. Thanks!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 19:28
I lived in Trinity for a year while I was at Duke (Not Fuqua). The amenities are top notch, the location to campus is key -although the Fuqua building is probably the furthest point from TC on campus, the gym rocks, and living next to Chipotle was legendary. The downside... TC is all about $$$$. The complex is by far the most expensive in Durham and if you dont sign a 2 year lease expect rent to go up $100 a month when you try to renew.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 5

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 04:31
This post received
KUDOS
MBAcm2013 wrote:
I'm interested in a 2 bedroom at Station 9 to share with a fellow Fuquan. Just out of curiosity - how quickly do these rooms go at S9? I probably won't have the roommate situation figured out until after BDW (April 19) but am wondering if I should start communicating with the S9 management prior to then? I don't want to get closed out of the complex. Thanks!

You should contact them to get your name on the waitlist. It's $75, but after I got in R1 the current students I spoke with, including a good friend who lives there now, told me to get on the waitlist sooner rather than later if I was serious about Fuqua / living at S9. You can put your name on the WL for a 2BR and figure out who you'll live with later.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 08:57
ctgmat123 wrote:
MBAcm2013 wrote:

You should contact them to get your name on the waitlist. It's $75, but after I got in R1 the current students I spoke with, including a good friend who lives there now, told me to get on the waitlist sooner rather than later if I was serious about Fuqua / living at S9. You can put your name on the WL for a 2BR and figure out who you'll live with later.

Thanks for the info - one further question: what is the typical leasing period for Fuquans? Is a 10 month lease (due to internship over the summer) or a 2 yr lease the norm?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 10:13
Anxiously awaiting word for an interview.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Duke MBA
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Fuqua '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.61
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 18:34
MBAcm2013 wrote:
ctgmat123 wrote:
MBAcm2013 wrote:

Waitlist

Thanks for the info - one further question: what is the typical leasing period for Fuquans? Is a 10 month lease (due to internship over the summer) or a 2 yr lease the norm?

The waitlist for Station 9 gets crazier and crazier every year. It used to be such that you could get on the waitlist during Blue Devil Weekend in April and still get an apartment. That is no longer the case. It fills up extremely quickly.

Station 9 is awesome -- don't miss out!
While it sometimes has the rep of a "frat house", it's actually a really great place to live--namely because 40% of Fuquans live there. The weather in Durham is nice basically all year except Dec-Jan, so you can socialize at the pool with fellow Fuquans just by stepping outside.

I'm currently a second-year, and I can tell you that a huge percentage of my classmates moved from elsewhere first-year to Station 9 their second-year because they felt that they were "missing out".

If you're not on the Waitlist for S9
If you're not currently on the waitlist for Station 9, your best bet is to find someone who already is on the waitlist for a 2-bedroom but hasn't found a roommate yet. Or to find a second-year whose lease you could take over. (Post in the facebook group or see the Lease Takeover tab in the Google Doc in the facebook group).

Lease length
Most Fuquans who stay in the same apartment complex for both years get a 12-month lease and a 9-to-10-month lease, or a 22-month lease.
Most people don't want to deal with the bother of packing everything up at the end of first year, moving for summer internship, and then moving back in the fall.
Instead they just leave their apartment vacant over the summer or sublease it out. (Then they find furnished apartments for their summer sublet.)
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 08:24
I called S9 this morning to ask about the availibility, and they said that there is a long waitlist and your chances of getting an apartment in July are pretty slim. There is also a June waitlist which is smaller in nature, but you will have to pay rent for 1 extra month. See the feedback I got from S9 below.

p.s I am still on Fuqua waitlist.

"Currently our waitlist for August is full and we are no longer accepting applications for this month. We are still accepting applications for our September, June, and May waitlists and these are still good size so you will have good availability to choose from during these months. We are still accepting applications for July both one and two bedroom options, however, we are very full on this waitlist and the chances of getting a unit based on your specific preferences are very small because you will be one of the last people we call with what is left of our availability. Let me know if you need further clarification. Let me tell you a little about our property. We have approximately 16 different floor plans for both our one and two bedroom unit styles. We have many great amenities such as fitness center, half-court basketball court, guest suite, movie theater, coffee area, computer lab with free printing, game and lounge area, pool area with two electric grills and a campfire, as well as covered parking. Photos and more detailed information can be found on our website below. As I don't know pricing that far in advance, I can tell you our range for our one bedrooms will start around $1150.00 and our two bedrooms will likely start at $1500-1900.00 for 12 month leases. We can do as short as 6 months and as long as 15 months and rates will adjust accordingly. I would love for you to stop by for a tour if you are able. I am attaching the application and waitlist sheet for you to complete. Once we received these along with your app fee made to station Nine, You are on the waitlist! I am happy to help with any additional questions you may have! I look forward to working with you"

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 11:09
congrats to all
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 13:24
I have an early S9 waitlist spot that Im giving up because I picked a place at Lofts at Lakeview instead. Wonder if S9 would let me transfer my spot to another person.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 14:23
Expert's post
bond007 wrote:
I have an early S9 waitlist spot that Im giving up because I picked a place at Lofts at Lakeview instead. Wonder if S9 would let me transfer my spot to another person.

If they let you transfer the spot, you're going to be everyone's favorite person!! ;)

aerien

Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 14:25
Expert's post
Financehopeful wrote:
Anxiously awaiting word for an interview.

Wednesday!!

aerien

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 14:43
bond007 wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I already settled on a place at the lofts and I am on the waitlist at S9.
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 15:03
canada07 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I already settled on a place at the lofts and I am on the waitlist at S9.

Congrats on making a smart choice. Lofts should be highly represented this year.
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2013, 15:03