Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 15:07
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Anything related to your "main" job that involves supervising things...is management.

I wouldn't worry too much about this..just make sure what ever you say is backed up by your resume and other parts of your application.

The adcom won't look at this question in a vacuum...

got it.. thanks again :)

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 18:33
Expert's post
jumsumtak wrote:
Total number of months of full-time, post-graduate management experience including anticipated months of management experience to enrollment date of 08/01/2013 (Do not include internships).

What is management experience? Is it no. of months when someone was reporting to me directly?

Is this a background questions? If it is, I would not count managing processes or extra-curricular management as management experience. It would throw a red flag for me if I were evaluating your application. The AdCom knows that most applicant will not have people management roles, which is fine. You can demonstrate leadership in your essays.

Diversity

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 21:53
jumsumtak wrote:
mappleby wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
anyone who is not writing a summary on his resume? is it essential (or preferred) ?

I'm being extra careful with the resume , because IF i get an interview that'll be the only piece of paper in my interviewer's hand.

there is one on the sample resume Fuqua has put up.

Can you be a little more clear about what you are asking? I've never heard of a summary on a resume. You should have your education, job experience and then any relevant extra-curricular info you might want to include. Your resume should never be more than 1 page long. You are not submitting a cover letter with it if that is what you are asking.

I'm talking about a section on Profile Summary on the resume.

When you log into your application there is a sample one page resume in the downloads section. I'm reproducing its profile summary here:

"PROFILE SUMMARY
Diverse experience with a background in customer relationship management, competitive analysis, training and team leadership.
Conducted focus groups and analyzed results as part of a gap analysis. Designed creative marketing strategies that enhanced
promotion of training programs. Managed cross-functional teams that delivered a new product. Seeking an opportunity in Brand
Management"

Also, this is a post-MBA resume.But, don't think it matters much.

The profile summary is optional. In fact, I took it out when I updated my resume to follow the Fuqua format.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 00:36
jumsumtak wrote:

I'm talking about a section on Profile Summary on the resume.

When you log into your application there is a sample one page resume in the downloads section. I'm reproducing its profile summary here:

"PROFILE SUMMARY
Diverse experience with a background in customer relationship management, competitive analysis, training and team leadership.
Conducted focus groups and analyzed results as part of a gap analysis. Designed creative marketing strategies that enhanced
promotion of training programs. Managed cross-functional teams that delivered a new product. Seeking an opportunity in Brand
Management"

Also, this is a post-MBA resume.But, don't think it matters much.

Ok I see what you are looking at now. Personally I think it is a lot of wasted space, especially for a business school resume. Everybody knows your goal with your resume is to get into school, you don't need a personal statement to say that.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 15:59
Just submitted my application. Nothing left to do but wait :)

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 06:09
how long till we hear about interview invites for people who did not visit the campus?

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 06:55
Expert's post
jumsumtak wrote:
how long till we hear about interview invites for people who did not visit the campus?

Interview invite dates are posted on the website page with the deadlines. All invites are emailed on that day.

Posted from my mobile device Image
VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 08:44
mba2014hopeful wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

Interview invite dates are posted on the website page with the deadlines. All invites are emailed on that day.

got them. (9 oct.) Earlier I had only seen the notification date. Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 14:08
Did anyone get an email saying your EA application is now in the "evaluation stage"?..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 14:36
In for EA! Late night last night. Waiting game now... I wonder if we will start to hear before Oct. 30?
Intern
Intern

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 16:07
Sorry, should have clarified. I am scheduled to interview during the Open Interview window next week. After that the ball is in admissions court. I guess it is best to assume Oct 30 at 11:59pm ET.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 16:12
Expert's post
jh03e wrote:
Sorry, should have clarified. I am scheduled to interview during the Open Interview window next week. After that the ball is in admissions court. I guess it is best to assume Oct 30 at 11:59pm ET.

In that case, you won't hear back about a decision until the decision date listed on the site (again, this assumes they are not changing their processes from the last few years).

Intern
Intern

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 16:18
Great, thanks for the reply! Good luck to everyone!

Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 19:03
Interviewing at the Fuqua campus this Monday!!! First interview of the b-school season for me. Can't believe how quickly this time has arrived... and yet, decisions seem so far away.
Forecast looks fantastic - low 70's and sunny, 0% chance of rain :)

If anyone will be around on the 24th in the late afternoon / evening and want to explore the area, feel free to send me a PM!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 20:46
Good luck. I'm told that there always a lot of "team based" questions....but from what I have heard -- The Fuqua interview is quite casual and relaxing. The good thing about the student interviews as opposed to the adcom interviews is that students won't probe too much or jump on inconsistencies..simply because they don't have a lot of experience with interviews (they are going to be just as nervous you because they are representing the school and want to make a great impression on you).

The main thing they are looking for is (and..I have heard this from Fuqua admin)..will you fit into the "team fuqua" culture where everyone looks out for each other.

Ad Com interviews and sometimes alumni interviews can be far more brutal.

Let us know how it goes.

OjilEye wrote:
Interviewing at the Fuqua campus this Monday!!! First interview of the b-school season for me. Can't believe how quickly this time has arrived... and yet, decisions seem so far away.

If anyone will be around on the 24th in the late afternoon / evening and want to explore the area, feel free to send me a PM!
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 09:39
Haven't been able to schedule plans for the open interview..do you guys know if there are dates available 1st or 2nd week of Oct? I think the 16th is the last day right?

I will do that this weekend...approx what time the day end? (So I can schedule flights accordingly)
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 09:59
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Good luck. I'm told that there always a lot of "team based" questions....but from what I have heard -- The Fuqua interview is quite casual and relaxing. The good thing about the student interviews as opposed to the adcom interviews is that students won't probe too much or jump on inconsistencies..simply because they don't have a lot of experience with interviews (they are going to be just as nervous you because they are representing the school and want to make a great impression on you).

The main thing they are looking for is (and..I have heard this from Fuqua admin)..will you fit into the "team fuqua" culture where everyone looks out for each other.

Ad Com interviews and sometimes alumni interviews can be far more brutal.

Let us know how it goes.

OjilEye wrote:

Thanks for the feedback - it certainly would be great to start things off with a conversational interview. I'll take note of what you mentioned about the students conducting the interviews - I'm sure it will come in handy if my nerves start acting up!

In regards to seeing as if I will fit into the "Team Fuqua" culture... I mean, so many b-schools tout "fit fit fit" and "culture" and "collaboration". Is it just me, or is all this cultural fit essentially boil down to: "Will I want to work with you?"

translating basically to: being a strong team player (works well with others) and being able to communicate well
Intern
Intern

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 04:07
Completely agree with the above.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 08:00
Expert's post
OjilEye wrote:
In regards to seeing as if I will fit into the "Team Fuqua" culture... I mean, so many b-schools tout "fit fit fit" and "culture" and "collaboration". Is it just me, or is all this cultural fit essentially boil down to: "Will I want to work with you?"

You are absolutely right. It pretty much comes down to "will I want to work with you?" By the way, this is true for job recruiting as well. One thing I would add is that although a lot of schools tout the "collaboration" mantra, whether or not the student body culture actually believes that or act that way is a different story (not to mention sub-cultures within a school). I've had the opportunities to interact and work with students/graduates from many of the top 14 b-schools. I would say there is definitely some merit to some of the perceived steoretypes of certain schools. If you are not careful, and approach the interviews with a one-size-fits-all "culture" perspective, it may not be taken positively at some schools.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: McCombs '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 08:28
Re-applicant. R-2 wait-listed and then rejected on R-3 decision day last cycle.
Submitted for EA this cycle. Visited and interviewed before submission.
The afternoon of the 30th of Oct (around 2pm to 6pm) will be a very anxious time, if they run it as they did last time! :@
:)
Can't wait!

-D3
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2012, 08:28