Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 23:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V38
GRE 1: 310 Q158 V152
GRE 2: 315 Q160 V155
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 19:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone! Just joined the GMATclub and now I'm wondering why on earth I wasn't registered earlier!!!! I interviewed at Fuqua during the open interview period back on September 20th, and I thought I'd share some of the questions that I got in the interview in case anybody else is waiting for an interview or has one scheduled in the near future!

1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why pursue an MBA now?
3. Why Fuqua?
4. Tell me about a time you had a conflict with your manager and how you resolved it?
5. What would your friends say are your greatest strengths? Name 3?
6. What is your greatest weakness?
7. A few questions specifically related to my resume....was interested in my study abroad experience and also my dancing experience (I do hip hop & bhangra fusion)

Overall the interview was very relaxed and as others have noted, it was a 2nd year MBA interviewing me, which is unique to Fuqua's process. They involve their students in the decision making and really care about you fitting in with everybody at the school. I think the interview went well, as it was my first b-school interview! I prepared like crazy, did tons of mock interviews, and I studied over 100 different questions that students have received in past Fuqua interviews!

A lot of you are asking about the 25 random things. While I did my interview, I also did a class visit, tour, and discussion with adcom, where they elaborated a little bit more on the 25 random things. If you're going to repeat stuff from your resume, which naturally will happen, you will need to think of specific examples from that experience. For example, I put down on my resume the university that i studied abroad at (National University of Singapore), but from that, I was able to talk about an experience that I had in Bali, Indonesia, which occurred DURING my time in Singapore (I traveled all over SE Asia while studying abroad). You can go as far back as elementary school. Maybe you won your school's spelling bee in the 5th grade? Maybe you started a lemonade stand in your neighborhood and made it a legit business at age 10?

One sentence or a paragraph, as long as it gives more insight into who you are. I worked extensively on this essay already, and I don't have a single thing from work on here because I tried to let them know exactly who I am outside of work and how these experiences shaped who I am today. Look back at old school projects that you did too. Did you play on the varsity basketball/tennis/football/soccer/cricket/etc team in high school? Did you play on any specific team growing up? If so, did you ever hit a game winning shot or sink game winning free throws? Did you kick the winning field goal for your football team? Did you score the winning goal in PK's in soccer? Did you get severely injured in any of these games? Talk about these experiences and what you LEARNED from it and how you GREW as a person FROM that experience.

Ok I'm rambling now, but I think you guys get how to do this essay even without my pointers! Good luck to everyone!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [3] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
kingfalcon wrote:
Would people who got in mind sharing their profiles?

Indian (born in America)

6 years experience for a leading chemical manufacturing company(upon matriculation)
--------------------
4 years Engineering
2 years Business Analyst

3.51 UG GPA (From top engineering program)
3.75 Grad GPA (from same program)

660 GMAT (44Q, 36V) - my biggest weakness by far
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [3] , given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
kingfalcon wrote:

690 GMAT
3.33 GPA (3.5 last 2 years)
3.5 years of consulting work experience at matriculation (what I perceived as my weakness)

Looking forward to starting this journey!
3 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 157 [3] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
Aximili85 wrote:
jontron wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi all, had a question. I haven't received an email update, and my online "Submission status" is still just "Submitted".
The East Coast day is over. Should I write them an email, or call them tomorrow morning to check? I had met R1 deadline.

Would appreciate the advice.

did your recommenders submit everything on time?

Hey Jontron, yes both recommenders submitted a day before the deadline, and I received the confirmation email for meeting Round 1.
My other friend was hypothesizing that during my campus visit before Round 1, they had conducted an "interview" with a 2nd year student, and that that might be counting that as the formal replacement for the actual interview. Is that the case?

Sounds odd as I wasn't suited or booted thinking it was an informal interview.

If the "interview" took place in one of the small rooms in or a floor above the Admissions Lounge, then that is your actual interview.

Big win tonight against Ohio State! Let's go Duke!

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.26

Kudos [?]: 12 [3] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to all the R1 applicants! Fuqua is going to be a great experience from what I have heard from alumni and my own trips to visit the school. What gives the school an edge in my opinion is the helpful and humble people. That's one trait most MBA's had in common when I visited Fuqua. As an EA admit myself, I'd be happy to help people interviewing for R1 if you have any questions. Shoot me a PM and I'll try my best to help in anyway.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [3] , given: 21

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
How many layers deep are we in? A dream within a dream within a dream?

Time has slowed to a crawl...
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [3] , given: 244

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Good luck today, everyone! Just so you know, last year R2 invites went out at 5:18pm et, so you could be in for the long haul today. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised with an earlier email though! I have my fingers crossed for all of you.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [3] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
generalsouth wrote:
this is kind of a silly question but...

I don't follow college basketball at all. What are the chances that I would get asked a question (casually) about whether I follow Duke basketball or what I thought of last week's game during my interview? I really don't want to come across as being not interested in this huge part of Duke's culture (because I would like to be if I am a student there), but at the same time I don't want to feign enthusiasm for something I know very little about. How much do you think students/alumni/adcom care about this aspect of a candidate's interests in evaluating whether or not he/she is a good fit?

I haven't read any interview report so far in which the interviewee was asked a sports related question. I think if someone does bring up the sports topic, it would defininetly be the applicant himself. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On a side note, great answer for what scares you most about being a Duke student... "Although I'm excited about the enthusiastic sports culture at Duke, I know absolutely nothing about college basketball. I'm somewhat worried I'd have a bit of a learning curve getting up to speed for the daily sports small talk."
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 2.93
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 4

MBA advice from Duke Fuqua alumni [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
Fuqua has hosted a great info session in Shanghai yesterday; Russell and 6 alumni(first ever pure male team!) presented and shared helpful advice for those who will start their MBA soon. Hope this threat will be helpful to friends who are interested in Fuqua.

1. Enjoy life in Duke. Academic achievement is not the only objective in B-school! They say the ratio of single female to male is 6:4, you know what it means. 2 out of 6 presented alumni got their girl friends during MBA; that's a 'love' concentration of Duke MBA. Those who are married, you can have a 'family' concentration, too. MBA is the best timing to have a baby, one Fuqua alumnus had two baby born in Durham!
2. Choose wisely. A lot will happen in Fuqua and you are going to be overwhelmed if your aim is to be at the top in all aspects. It can be stressful, but as long as you have learned to prioritize, you'll get over it and enjoy.
3. Be active in clubs. Club involvement will not only broaden your network, but also provide you on-the-ground stories that you will need for job interviews. Clubs will also be helpful for those who choose the love concentration.
4. Get parking permit, it will save you a lot of time.
5. Be humble. You are going to study using your second language, the US students will be smarter than you, and their math is as good as yours! Be prepared for the pressure, and stay optimistic.
6. Learn more about classmates. Don't focus only on job hunting, you will find a well-paid job at last; you should spend more time with classmates, those wise people from around the world, they are treasure.
7. Have fun. Chinese students, bring your Tang suit or costumes to Durham, you'll need them in some Fuqua events such as Asian Fuqua Friday. If you are a good singer, dancer, etc, you'll have chance to perform at Fuqua Idol and Fuqua's Got Talent. If you are a good cooker, congratulations, this will make you very popular among classmates!

Last edited by riverwind91 on 24 Feb 2013, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [3] , given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
sunjuu1 wrote:
Guy's, question; bottom line, would you choose duke or cornell?

I checked out Cornell when I was doing an MBA tour about a year ago. My thoughts compared to Duke:

1) I genuinely liked the folks at Cornell slightly better than at Duke during my brief visit. I wonder if this is because Cornell has a bit younger student body, and as a younger applicant myself, I connected with those students better. Duke has a great people too, but I think I would have applied to Cornell had it not been for reason #2.

2) I was very turned off by Cornell's career services. I remember walking up to one of the top floors to the career services office...there was a posting outside the door listing where all the 2nd years were headed after graduation. I was disappointed by the names on that list for a few reasons. First, the company names were so similar to those that recruited at my undergrad (state school, good rep). Also, there was such a lack of variety, especially compared to Duke's career report (http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/documents/mba ... 011-12.pdf).

People here tell you that it depends - and it totally does. My negative comments are largely based on what I am hoping to get out of bschool and what I am trying to avoid. Maybe you want to head to a company that already recruits at Cornell? Or are planning to start your own venture or perhaps return to your current firm?

After attending Blue Devil Weekend earlier this month, I will say that no amount of research can really show you what the experience is like more than attending a welcome weekend (looking back, I wish schools had such a welcome weekend for prospective students!). So I'd encourage you to attend both welcome weekends and figure out what you're trying to get out of business school.

Also, don't get caught up in how people perceive the rankings. I get frustrated reading comments such as "there is no way X school is ranked there", when in reality those people have no real experience at each business school...unless they attended each program for the full 2 years! People who say such things are likely basing their opinions off of what other or past rankings are reporting rather than any special knowledge. Check out the rankings and focus more on the specifics rather than the general rank (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ls-ranking).

Figure out what you're trying to achieve for the next 2 years, attend both welcome weekends, and hopefully you'll have more clarity.

Congratulations and best of luck!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 58 [3] , given: 37

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
This was discussed in depth on the previous 2 pages.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [3] , given: 19

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Fuqua just move up one spot in US News ranking to #11 (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... a-rankings)

Diversity

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [3] , given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 16:59
This post received
KUDOS
bl13 wrote:
A little late to the party but I was also admitted to Fuqua today. Found out online, but missed 2 calls from 919 because my phone was on vibrate. Folks that got $$, can you elaborate on whether that information came out in the phone call or in the decision letter? My letter just says I'll hear from the scholarship committee 2 weeks from now. Not sure if that means I'm not getting anything.

Your verbal score is piss poor and that will cost you dearly.

On a side note, congratulations for Fuqua.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 22 [3] , given: 32

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
I got the admit on Friday and it took me less than 12 hours to decide that I am definitely matriculating! I haven't even heard back from Kellogg yet, and am still on the Columbia waitlist, but Fuqua has always been my #1! I think even if I got off the very prestigious Columbia w/l I still wouldn't think twice about matriculating to Duke. After spending 3 days down in Durham for Women's Weekend I know how awesome the people are and love the beautiful environment of NC. Also, the faculty are some amazing people. I cannot wait for August, and can't believe how lucky I am, it's an incredible feeling and I can't believe I'm actually here. To all of those still waiting - keep a positive attitude and relax. You will end up wherever you're supposed to be!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
Pulled my app. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.
3 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 35 [3] , given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
I've officially committed to Duke! Finally managed to find time to post this. Attended BDW in April and was really impressed with the adcom, student hosts, admitted students, and the mock-up classes. Love the weather and the absence of traffic. Can't wait to be in Durham!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke CC (A)

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
I'm IIIINNNNNN! best of luck to all those still waiting!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [2] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 01:02
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to everyone for EA :)
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
Indian, Masters in US GPA 3.7

Health care supply consulting 6 years

710 (38V, 49Q)

My MBA journey : mbafanatic.blogspot.com

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 157 [2] , given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
canadianchamp wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

27M re-applicant from Canada
730 (Q48, V42) GMAT
3.0 engineering GPA that made applications very difficult
4.5 experience in marketing (5.5 at matriculation)

Want to say congrats to all the admits!

And wanted to say good luck to everyone who didn't get the news they wanted today. Last year, when I got WL'ed in R2 and subsequently dinged things seemed pretty grim. I took a lot of inspiration from threestripes epic thread to help me through the journey. I hope good news is on the way soon!

Thanks for the shout out! Hope to see you at BDW in February.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2012, 21:43