Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 04:37
Does anyone else feel like the "25 things about you" essay feels a lot like filling out a personal add?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 04:40
Turbonash6 wrote:
Does anyone else feel like the "25 things about you" essay feels a lot like filling out a personal add?

YES!

I'm just going to have fun with it though, what an odd idea for an "essay"
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 03:55
Turbonash6 wrote:

Yes!
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 10:14
Turbonash6 wrote:

but I really do like long walks on the beach.
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 16:22
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I visited the school last year and loved it. Duke is my #1 choice however I got a 640 (q44,v33) on my Gmat and a 3.55 GPA in Business Management from a middle tier state School. I'm a Caucasian male entrepreneur from NYC with over 4 years of w/e. I was planning on possibly retaking the GMAT however I see that the Early Decision deadline is one month away and I feel like that would be my best chance as Duke will see I'm 100% committed to the program and they would also fill one of their entrepreneur slots early on. On the other hand If I had more time I could possibly raise my GMAT by 10-40 points and apply in round 1.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Please feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks very much!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 16:58
mappleby wrote:
ashish8 wrote:
Sorry to bother you guys again, but I got two more questions.

Awards & Recognition:
Is getting to be team lead of a project considered a recognition? What about receiving a scholarship for undergrad?

Then I got another question that builds upon the first one. The application ask's how long have you been a manager and how many people have you manged. Is this question asking for formal management experience like project manager, etc. or could my first example be considered management experience.

Thanks again guys

Was this a work team you were the lead of or some kind of extra-curricular during school? If this was not a work project then you definitely should not use it in the "how long" and "how many people managed" sections of your application. They are asking for actual work management experience.

Completely work related.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 17:02
ashish8 wrote:

Completely work related.

Then I would include it. I haven't gotten this far into the application for Duke yet but as long as it doesn't ask for "Direct reports" and just asks for who you managed then it seems fair game. If you were the team lead on the project then you were managing your teammates(assuming you were doing it right :wink: ) and that should count.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 17:06
bond007 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I visited the school last year and loved it. Duke is my #1 choice however I got a 640 (q44,v33) on my Gmat and a 3.55 GPA in Business Management from a middle tier state School. I'm a Caucasian male entrepreneur from NYC with over 4 years of w/e. I was planning on possibly retaking the GMAT however I see that the Early Decision deadline is one month away and I feel like that would be my best chance as Duke will see I'm 100% committed to the program and they would also fill one of their entrepreneur slots early on. On the other hand If I had more time I could possibly raise my GMAT by 10-40 points and apply in round 1.

Thanks very much!

read this thread
the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html

Also, I would take another stab at the gmat if you feel you can do better. A 640 will be tough to overcome, but it is doable. Good luck!
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 17:09
highwyre237 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

Thanks very much!

read this thread
the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html

Also, I would take another stab at the gmat if you feel you can do better. A 640 will be tough to overcome, but it is doable. Good luck!

Thanks, I did read that thread prior to posting in here. It was very helpful and glad that it worked out so well. I just wanted to get a feel for how badly the 640 will hurt me in the early decision round.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 18:23
I'm in the middle of filling out the leadership and community involvement section.
I served in several leadership positions in a organization during undergrad. Should I list and describe each position under it's own Activity?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 06:33
Expert's post
bond007 wrote:
Thanks, I did read that thread prior to posting in here. It was very helpful and glad that it worked out so well. I just wanted to get a feel for how badly the 640 will hurt me in the early decision round.

I don't think it's impossible with a 640 if you have good work experience. However, if your work experience/success is good enough to overcome a 640, applying EA will not give you that extra boost. For example, what round of funding were you able to obtain? What kind of exit did you have for your company?

Also, you need to consider what you want to do after b-school. If you are planning to go back to entreprenuership, a low GMAT will not matter what so ever. If you are considering going into an industry/function that cares about GMAT, then a 640 will not make the cut.

Diversity

Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 09:40
asimov wrote:
bond007 wrote:

I don't think it's impossible with a 640 if you have good work experience. However, if your work experience/success is good enough to overcome a 640, applying EA will not give you that extra boost. For example, what round of funding were you able to obtain? What kind of exit did you have for your company?

Also, you need to consider what you want to do after b-school. If you are planning to go back to entreprenuership, a low GMAT will not matter what so ever. If you are considering going into an industry/function that cares about GMAT, then a 640 will not make the cut.

I think my experience is pretty strong especially at my biz dev role, although for my start-up I was only able to raise angel funding and boot strapped the rest. Also there was no successful exit.
After B-school I'm looking to get into a funded startup or biz dev role as well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 05:33
I'm interested in applying to Duke this year.
The EA deadline is 9/19. They also have a self-initiated on-campus interview beginning 9/10. Since the EA round's deadline is 9/19, this means a person who wants to apply in the EA round has only 8 to 9 days. This is too short. :(
Can someone who wants to apply in the EA round schedule a self-initiated interview after 9/19 but before 10/30 ? OR is it mandatory to schedule one before 9/19 deadline ?
Expert Post
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 16:38
Expert's post
vylaj wrote:
I'm interested in applying to Duke this year.
The EA deadline is 9/19. They also have a self-initiated on-campus interview beginning 9/10. Since the EA round's deadline is 9/19, this means a person who wants to apply in the EA round has only 8 to 9 days. This is too short. :(
Can someone who wants to apply in the EA round schedule a self-initiated interview after 9/19 but before 10/30 ? OR is it mandatory to schedule one before 9/19 deadline ?

You can wait for the interview invitation.

Diversity

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 19:22
If you apply EA, does that mean that it is less likely for you to receive any scholarship?

The logic is if you are so committed to come to Duke, there is no reason to further incent you to do so.

In another word, if duke is your top choice and you are ready, would you apply in EA or round 1?

thanks
Expert Post
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 11:06
Expert's post
This is a very hard question to answer, since we are not in the decision rooms of the scholarship committee. I originally had your view that, if you do EA, you won’t get a scholarship. However, last year, some EA admits proved me wrong. I don’t know the percentage or dollar break-down of EA vs regular rounds, nor am I privy to the applicant quality. So it’s impossible to make a conclusive statement.

It is fair to say that applying EA will not exclude you from a scholarship.

Diversity

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 06:15
I have only heard of one person in our class who was accepted in the EA round and was offered a scholly, while there seems to be a much higher percentage of R1 applicants who received $. Then again, the R1 pool could have just been far stronger than the EA pool. With that said, it is certainly not impossible to get a scholly in the EA round.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 06:23
threestripes wrote:
I have only heard of one person in our class who was accepted in the EA round and was offered a scholly, while there seems to be a much higher percentage of R1 applicants who received $. Then again, the R1 pool could have just been far stronger than the EA pool. With that said, it is certainly not impossible to get a scholly in the EA round.

Thanks. Did you apply in R1? If I remember correctly, you did apply the year before, right?
If you are ready, how would you choose between EA and R1?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 22:00
Do any of the current Fuqua students know when Prof. Will Mitchell will return? I understand that he has been teaching at Rotman for the last year or so.

Also, from what I understand applying in the EA window will hardly result in any scholarship offers. Like a poster mentioned above, there is no reason to give any scholarship to someone who has already committed to attend that school.

Having spoken to a few Fuqua alumni familiar with the process, R1 is the best window for scholarships. Furthermore, EA is mainly for folks who are really sure about attending the school and are not too worried about the $$. EA also gives weaker candidates an opportunity to really show enthusiasm for the school. For people with a more competitive profile, R1 makes more sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 09:43
Fair point.

I have spoken to a couple of Fuqua folks quite familiar with the process and was told that -- to their knowledge -- a couple of Duke Med students who applied in EA window got a full ride. There was also some $$ for US Vets in the EA. But other than that -- there wasn't a lot of $$ in the EA. Of course small packages like $7500 would be made available. But in terms of substantial scholarships, there isn't much. Most likely, it is a combination of avg applicants and the logic behind giving $$ to those fully committed to attending the school.

navra wrote:
threestripes wrote:

I would assess the chances of being awarded a scholarship in EA based on the quality of one's application. If one has e.g. 750+ in GMAT, 3.8+ GPA from top school and so on, as well as good work experience, I find it hard to believe that the person would be omitted from $$$ based on the notion that he/she is too loyal to Fuqua as to apply in EA. So the only problem is, I guess, there are not many applicants with such profiles applying in EA to Fuqua :) So we end up guessing what is the policy
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2012, 09:43