Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q158 V152

GRE 2: Q160 V155
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:

I will openly say, some of the FuquaVision stuff is... meh. This was VERY nicely done. I hope to be part of that club next year.
Director
Director
Send PM
question...
Total number of months of full-time, post-graduate management experience including anticipated months of management experience to enrollment date of 08/01/2013 (Do not include internships).

Do you think this would include project management, or simply the amount of time you have had people directly reporting to you?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
question...
Total number of months of full-time, post-graduate management experience including anticipated months of management experience to enrollment date of 08/01/2013 (Do not include internships).

Do you think this would include project management, or simply the amount of time you have had people directly reporting to you?

Personally? I think it means only directly managing people, not projects.
Director
Director
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
question...

Fair enough, I'd rather play it safe anyway
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
question...

I treated it as including project management experience..
Director
Director
Send PM
Moodyz wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

I treated it as including project management experience..

hmmm... Maybe this merits an email to adcom?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Use your best judgment and gut instinct. Plus you can search for this topic -- it has been discussed ad nauseam on the GMAT forums. People have interpreted this question both ways as people have suggested you do.

End of the day -- an MBA degree is something that is going to help you make better and more informed business decisions...It's also about your instincts and ability to understand ambiguous / complex information and make the best possible judgements.

You can't go wrong either way (although management experience is not just down to managing people but managing projects, budgets etc)..Think about it this way -- if you started a one-man firm -- would that not be management experience even though you did not have any direct reports?

Bschools don't expect a lot of people to have significant management experience in terms of direct reports. If you see further down the Fuqua application -- they specifically ask you how many people you managed directly (not indirect). So they do get that piece of information.

If you are someone who has managed a lot of people..then you can use this to highlight that aspect and reference that fact later in your application. But like most people, if you have few / no direct reports -- then you highlight project management etc.

There is nothing wrong with asking asking the ad com..but I would slightly caution against that because this is something that is not very ambiguous. My feeling (and I might be wrong and other people might totally disagree with me) is that every little bit counts in a highly competitive process -- even the type of questions you ask and how you ask them.

highwyre237 wrote:

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Use your best judgment and gut instinct. Plus you can search for this topic -- it has been discussed ad nauseam on the GMAT forums. People have interpreted this question both ways as people have suggested you do.

End of the day -- an MBA degree is something that is going to help you make better and more informed business decisions...It's also about your instincts and ability to understand ambiguous / complex information and make the best possible judgements.

You can't go wrong either way (although management experience is not just down to managing people but managing projects, budgets etc)..Think about it this way -- if you started a one-man firm -- would that not be management experience even though you did not have any direct reports?

Bschools don't expect a lot of people to have significant management experience in terms of direct reports. If you see further down the Fuqua application -- they specifically ask you how many people you managed directly (not indirect). So they do get that piece of information.

If you are someone who has managed a lot of people..then you can use this to highlight that aspect and reference that fact later in your application. But like most people, if you have few / no direct reports -- then you highlight project management etc.

There is nothing wrong with asking asking the ad com..but I would slightly caution against that because this is something that is not very ambiguous. My feeling (and I might be wrong and other people might totally disagree with me) is that every little bit counts in a highly competitive process -- even the type of questions you ask and how you ask them.

highwyre237 wrote:

I see where you are coming from, but personally, I don't agree. If you stretch the word "management" far enough, you can apply it to "managing" your daily workflow, too. To each his own, though. :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Even though I already had extensive project management experience back when I was applying, I still answered this question with a zero (0) since I never had any direct reports. At the end of the day, answering this question incorrectly will not make or break your application. And so, my recommendation is for you guys not to lose sleep on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Apologies if this was discussed before, but what are most people's word counts for the Why Duke essay?

2 pages and 1.5 spacing could equate to a pretty large spread of word counts (with varying margin sizes and font sizes)

I'm still fine-tuning mine but my first page has 620 words.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
Apologies if this was discussed before, but what are most people's word counts for the Why Duke essay?

2 pages and 1.5 spacing could equate to a pretty large spread of word counts (with varying margin sizes and font sizes)

The word count for my essay was around 720. I personally believe that unless you really have a very compelling reason, it is not advisable to go overboard (you need to define that!) You will be writing the same thing that thousand others are writing.

Just write those points that you feel will really complement your background, goals and aspirations. You do not need to cover every possible point and cram every possible word in the 2-page essay. Ad-coms are really busy and a larger essay with not much meaning will dilute your overall application.

Having said that, I know people who have written over 1000 words, have got interview calls and also have successfully matriculated.

Use atleast 11 pt spacing (ideally 12)......it really makes easier for the reader.

Ultimately, use your own judgement. If you feel it is coming out brilliantly with even 500 words (or 1000), than just go for it.
Director
Director
Send PM
I think max would be 1000, but I was shooting for 750, I'm editing still, and around 800, but some of it is a bit "fluffy"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I was recently interviewed over skype, but the status of my app still shows Invited. Is this true for others as well? I did not even receive a confirmation mail.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:

I think mine had around 1,200 words. This was after over 10 revisions, in which I cut off all the excess fat. Clearly, I had A LOT to say. :lol:
Director
Director
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
OjilEye wrote:

I think mine had around 1,200 words. This was after over 10 revisions, in which I cut off all the excess fat. Clearly, I had A LOT to say. :lol:

There is soo much to say about fuqua, hell I could wrtie 1000 words on Dan Ariely alone... And with your background in sports, and plans post mba, I'm sure you did a bit of gushing over Coach K. I think the thing that hurt me a bit in mine, is although I have done countless hours of reading, and watching videos, and talking to alumns/adcom... I haven't taken a trip to Durham. I'm sure that would have pushed me over 1K
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey I worked with a company for 2 years and then switched to a non profit and working there since last 2 years. For the reco ques "Describe the peer group" my recommender from previous company should write my exp as 2 yr or 4 yrs while comparing to peers
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts