Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 04:14
bodu wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
did anyone actually use two whole pages for the 2nd essay (Why duke?)

It actually depends on the font and margins you are using.

With moderate margins 2 pages is around 1200 words (10 point font; 1.5 spacing). I think 750-850 words should explain why duke (you can fit them in 2 pages with 12-13 font).

Saying that, I did use over 1000, because I added a lame story that ran too far into my essay. Kick myself for that now.

are you applying EA?

(if the ques is for me)
Yes. Application under review.
international candidate so haven't interviewed yet. Waiting for 9th (interview) decisions.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 16:11
RoyHalladay wrote:
did anyone actually use two whole pages for the 2nd essay (Why duke?)

I used the full two pages. It certainly felt long after having to keep essays at 500 words max for the other schools, but I feel like I had even more I wanted to cover but couldn't. I would agree that the essay should be close to two pages as much shorter would mean that you don't have a lot of compelling reasons for wanting to go to Duke/get an MBA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 06:54
Did anyone receive an interview invite from Duke?
VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 07:06
naiksarah wrote:

I haven't received any notification.

P.S: tired of refreshing pages now! cant work obviously.. received an email with the subject: "we have great news for you". Wanted to kill the sender right there!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 07:17
jumsumtak wrote:
naiksarah wrote:

I haven't received any notification.

P.S: tired of refreshing pages now! cant work obviously.. received an email with the subject: "we have great news for you". Wanted to kill the sender right there!

Nothing yet...... extremely anxious considering that the day(9th Oct) is almost going to end in India!!
Current Student
Schools: Duke '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:26
Invited!

So excited!!

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by Slider on 09 Oct 2012, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:30
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:35
Slider wrote:
Invited!

So excited!!

Good luck to everyone else!

I'm so disappointed. My application status was showing complete so far, and only today it got update to incomplete - they haven't received my test scores & transcripts, which I have definitely submitted.

I was eagerly waiting for an interview invite and I get this. I had even written this query earlier to the school, asking if they have received all the materials, but I had not got back any reply. Any suggestions on what should I do?
Manager
Manager

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:36
Quote:
dinged.. luck to everyone!

What does that mean ? Not invited or dinged for this year?
Manager
Manager

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:38
Quote:
I'm so disappointed. My application status was showing complete so far, and only today it got update to incomplete - they haven't received my test scores & transcripts, which I have definitely submitted.

I was eagerly waiting for an interview invite and I get this. I had even written this query earlier to the school, asking if they have received all the materials, but I had not got back any reply. Any suggestions on what should I do?

I would email adcom asking if they want me to send it via email.

Last edited by naiksarah on 09 Oct 2012, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:45
naiksarah wrote:
Quote:

I would email adcom asking if they want me to send it via email.
I know it is disappointing.

I refreshed my page like 10 times.........Although, they claim to still have not received my GMAT/ transcripts.......but who cares....because for now I'm INVITED!!
I guess they were playing with me.....or maybe my mind was!

I did mail them immediately and now am repenting for my impatience. Would have to apologize or take back my words, lest they cancel my invite :)

Congrats to all other invitees. And to others.....keep faith...miracles do happen (just like in my case )
Intern
Intern
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:46
Same here bbharuka

JumSumtak I also did not get the invite mate... sad

Last edited by hiteshwd on 09 Oct 2012, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:47
Quote:
I refreshed my page like 10 times.........Although, they claim to still have not received my GMAT/ transcripts.......but who cares....because for now I'm INVITED!!
I guess they were playing with me.....or maybe my mind was!

I did mail them immediately and now am repenting for my impatience. Would have to apologize or take back my words, lest they cancel my invite

Congrats to all other invitees. And to others.....keep faith...miracles do happen (just like in my case )

Congrats! just prepare for the interview....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:55
I just got a mail from admissions.

No interview call.

But, when I checked the application portal, it is showing my application status as incomplete

Transcripts: Not Received

Test Scores: Not Received

I had uploaded my transcripts and did receive the mail from GMAC confirming the receipt of the score on 12-September

Some one please let me know if there is something I can do.

Thanks,
VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:57
naiksarah wrote:
Quote:
dinged.. luck to everyone!

What does that mean ? Not invited or dinged for this iiyear?

it means not invited but im not too hopeful of the waitlist thing...btw my status also changed to incomplete.. it might be a bug in the app.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:59
agupta wrote:
I just got a mail from admissions.

No interview call.

But, when I checked the application portal, it is showing my application status as incomplete

Transcripts: Not Received

Test Scores: Not Received

I had uploaded my transcripts and did receive the mail from GMAC confirming the receipt of the score on 12-September

Some one please let me know if there is something I can do.

Thanks,

Hey, the same thing happened to me too. But after 5-10 mins, the application page got updated and I got an invite.....just check my posts above. Hopefully, it might be same in your case too.
Intern
Intern
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 10:10
bbharuka wrote:

Hey, the same thing happened to me too. But after 5-10 mins, the application page got updated and I got an invite.....just check my posts above. Hopefully, it might be same in your case too.

Bbharuka u know what i tried this many times. Does not work. lol
Anyways, congrats to you :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 10:19
No Luck, have been trying for close to an hour now. But thanks anyways Bbharuka, Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 10:57
I guess it's the end of Fuqua for me. Good luck to you Bbharuka!

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 11:57
Quote:
I guess it's the end of Fuqua for me. Good luck to you Bbharuka!

Last year, I think applicants who were not interviewed in the EA round or those were interviewed and not accepted in EA, were waitlisted.
I think final decisions for this year's EA round will be available on Oct 30.
One should not lose hope unless someone has outrightly been rejected today.
Best of luck!
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2012, 11:57