Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 11:39

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2012
Posts: 187
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 10:33
anonymous2012 wrote:
ctgmat123 wrote:
My application was submitted for round 1. I also interviewed at Fuqua prior to this during the open interview season. Given that, I suspect I won't hear anything until decision day. There aren't any other notifications prior to that are there?


Same boat, I think it's just a loooong wait!


I'm with you guys! I just wish they could tell us before my holiday vacation. I would rather be elated or be depressed but at least have the vacation to make it better than have the nervous anticipation!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Duke - Fuqua c/o 2013
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 11:16
Fuqua ranked #6 Business School!

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GRE 1: 317 Q156 V161
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 11:40
For an older applicant such as myself, 35 14+ years work experience, my profile is excellent except for an average undergraduate GPA of a 3.0. I have been told that given my age/experience the GPA will have less bearing with the adcom. My work experience and career goals are in line my intended MBA program. GMAT is within the 80% range. I like Duke because of their reputation in the Marketing field, their location (I am a current NC resident which is good for school but I have no problems relocating after graduation), and desire for a full-time program.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 297
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 13:15
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
Fuqua ranked #6 Business School!

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/

Posted from my mobile device Image


As a future student, it does look rather nice; however, I somewhat question Businessweek's rankings criteria considering SMU Cox was ranked so high last year yet ranked so much lower this year. That is a huge change. Regarding last year's rankings, I am not saying SMU Cox is a bad program in anyway, but by no means is a better program than Tuck, Stern, Anderson, McCombs, etc.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Duke - Fuqua c/o 2013
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 13:59
burnttwinky wrote:
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
Fuqua ranked #6 Business School!

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/

Posted from my mobile device Image


As a future student, it does look rather nice; however, I somewhat question Businessweek's rankings criteria considering SMU Cox was ranked so high last year yet ranked so much lower this year. That is a huge change. Regarding last year's rankings, I am not saying SMU Cox is a bad program in anyway, but by no means is a better program than Tuck, Stern, Anderson, McCombs, etc.


Businessweek MBA rankings are the oldest (started in 1988) and arguably the most respected ranking service. I agree with your point about Cox, but if you want to know why their ranking last year was so high, and why they dropped so much this year, see this article: http://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/30/th ... -rankings/

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 297
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 14:22
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
burnttwinky wrote:
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
Fuqua ranked #6 Business School!

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/

Posted from my mobile device Image


As a future student, it does look rather nice; however, I somewhat question Businessweek's rankings criteria considering SMU Cox was ranked so high last year yet ranked so much lower this year. That is a huge change. Regarding last year's rankings, I am not saying SMU Cox is a bad program in anyway, but by no means is a better program than Tuck, Stern, Anderson, McCombs, etc.


Businessweek MBA rankings are the oldest (started in 1988) and arguably the most respected ranking service. I agree with your point about Cox, but if you want to know why their ranking last year was so high, and why they dropped so much this year, see this article: http://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/30/th ... -rankings/

Posted from my mobile device Image



After reading this, I am definitely a bit more satisfied. I am happy they finally factored in another significant component in the rankings. At the same time, I hope the Fuqua career services improves a bit, and I know they are more than capable of doing so.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Posts: 74
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 18:57
Guys! applied to Duke in R1. Understand interview invites are sent by 28th this month.. has anyone heard from duke yet? I am beginning to get the nervous sweats. I already 16th!
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1256
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 248

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 19:05
Expert's post
hselika wrote:
Guys! applied to Duke in R1. Understand interview invites are sent by 28th this month.. has anyone heard from duke yet? I am beginning to get the nervous sweats. I already 16th!


All invites will go out on the 28th. You have 2 more weeks to wait before you'll hear anything.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Posts: 74
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 19:06
So all invites are blasted out in one shot? Oh ok..then I guess I'll have to hold on to my pants till then.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 02:05
Hmm, I applied in Round 1, if i haven't been invited to an interview yet, its probably a no right?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Posts: 74
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 02:23
As the guy above notes: all invites will be sent on 28th itself, by 5pm EST.. keep ur fingers crossed :)
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 06:00
yahyaazeem wrote:
Hmm, I applied in Round 1, if i haven't been invited to an interview yet, its probably a no right?



I have now seen you in 4 threads doubting your acceptance due to a lack of invites.

It's still early in the process, try not to worry so much yet!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 19:47
Hey all,

Just curious what folks on here think about Duke's 22nd rank on Business Week's student survey rating. I've heard before that some students have complained about career services (surprising considering the strong career numbers and variety of on campus recruiters), but otherwise the students I've met seem to rave about their experience.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 39
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 21:00
Slider wrote:
Hey all,

Just curious what folks on here think about Duke's 22nd rank on Business Week's student survey rating. I've heard before that some students have complained about career services (surprising considering the strong career numbers and variety of on campus recruiters), but otherwise the students I've met seem to rave about their experience.

Any thoughts?


Hey Slider

Here are my 2 cents.

I talked to a recent graduate from Fuqua and while he had +ive inputs to share about the career management center (CMC), he also mentioned that the CMC had been restructured over the summer (2012) with each person within CMC being assigned certain domains/focus areas (like consulting, marketing and also industries like consumer goods, energy, etc) to facilitate the internship / job recruitment process.

So my guess is that while a majority of folks (60-70%) at Fuqua are happy with the CMC there are few who are not thrilled (which explains why its ranked 22nd as well as the restructuring process at CMC to turnaround that aspect).
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Duke - Fuqua c/o 2013
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 08:25
mrsustainability wrote:
Slider wrote:
Hey all,

Just curious what folks on here think about Duke's 22nd rank on Business Week's student survey rating. I've heard before that some students have complained about career services (surprising considering the strong career numbers and variety of on campus recruiters), but otherwise the students I've met seem to rave about their experience.

Any thoughts?


Hey Slider

Here are my 2 cents.

I talked to a recent graduate from Fuqua and while he had +ive inputs to share about the career management center (CMC), he also mentioned that the CMC had been restructured over the summer (2012) with each person within CMC being assigned certain domains/focus areas (like consulting, marketing and also industries like consumer goods, energy, etc) to facilitate the internship / job recruitment process.

So my guess is that while a majority of folks (60-70%) at Fuqua are happy with the CMC there are few who are not thrilled (which explains why its ranked 22nd as well as the restructuring process at CMC to turnaround that aspect).


Fuqua has also added 8 new full time staff members to the CMC this summer, bringing it to an army of 30. We are already seeing huge improvements because of the extra staff and new divisions.

Additionally, I've loved my experience and would say that most students feel the same. I've been happily surprised to get far more out of my two years than I had expected.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1132
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 13:34
Expert's post
I'm a bit surprised at our #22 student satisfaction ranking. We can second guess that all we want here, the fact is that 21 other schools' students responded better than we did. Although career services may be an influencer of that rating, there are other areas as well. Frankly, I don't think CMC is the reason for the low ranking. Our placement rate is on par with other schools. If I were the Fuqua administration, it would be very concerned about this. Student satisfaction is a huge part of how strong our alumni network will be in the future. We have a strong student culture, but I think it may be slipping a bit in recent years. In talking with my co-workers from other elite schools, other schools take a more proactive stance to build a strong inclusive culture.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 21:45
2
This post received
KUDOS
Hello all,
New to the forum, long time stalker. I really didnt have much to contribute before =)

I got my acceptance from Fuqua 15 days ago (EA applicant). The rankings imo are not so important. Although cliqued, I really feel that the school must appeal to you (what people refer to as fit). It must excite you to have the best experience.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 07:58
Tiredapplicant wrote:
Hello all,
New to the forum, long time stalker. I really didnt have much to contribute before =)

I got my acceptance from Fuqua 15 days ago (EA applicant). The rankings imo are not so important. Although cliqued, I really feel that the school must appeal to you (what people refer to as fit). It must excite you to have the best experience.


Congratulations!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 10:23
Quick question - I have applied in Round 1. As per the website, interview invites would be sent out on 28th Nov. Also, all non-hub interviews will be carried out between 1-12 Dec. I am based out of New Delhi, which is a non-hub location.

Now I am scheduled to travel for work during 1-12 Dec. In the chance that I do get an invite and to avoid it clashing with my interview date, is it possible to know right now when the interviews would take place in New Delhi? This way I can plan my travel better right now.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 153
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 21

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 13:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Dakells wrote:
anonymous2012 wrote:
ctgmat123 wrote:
My application was submitted for round 1. I also interviewed at Fuqua prior to this during the open interview season. Given that, I suspect I won't hear anything until decision day. There aren't any other notifications prior to that are there?


Same boat, I think it's just a loooong wait!


I'm with you guys! I just wish they could tell us before my holiday vacation. I would rather be elated or be depressed but at least have the vacation to make it better than have the nervous anticipation!


I'm with ya ctgmat123, anonymous2012, Dakells, and any other fellow R1 applicants for Fuqua. I also interviewed during the open interview season.
Duke is the first business school application that I was completely 100% done with and now it's simply in the hands of the admissions committee.
January 8th is d-day right? Can't come soon enough!!!

Honestly, I'm just trying to stay positive. Anytime I start to feel the nerves or impending feelings of doom of rejection, I go back and re-read my essay Why Duke? and I start nodding vigorously, convincing myself no adcom member reading this could not give me a chance. (ha! wishful thinking.. :) )
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2012, 13:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
356 Experts publish their posts in the topic Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants asimov 1831 12 Jun 2012, 06:34
64 Experts publish their posts in the topic Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 612 01 Jan 2013, 11:46
205 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants ThomasD 2695 18 May 2010, 07:33
80 Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! isa 989 10 Jul 2008, 19:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  92    Next  [ 1832 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.