Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 12:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 5

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
I was a R1 admit. Found out that I was successful when the website was updated (kudos to the admission staff for changing this for R2!). 3-4 days later, received a call from Megan congratulating me and telling me I'd been awarded a scholarship!

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 8

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
The t-shirts are given out during BDW. Those of us who attended the February one are already wearing them for March Madness! Go Blue Devils!
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 411 [2] , given: 436

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
ghosht wrote:
so anyone holding off full blown celebrations till the background check stuff?
before i completely check out from work, there a nagging voice in my head that says what if the background check does not go through. hold off on your celebrations and grand travel plans till everything is set in stone. anyone else feeling this? :)

A paranoiac, like a poet, is born, not made.

- Bunuel (not from the quant forum; the spanish film maker)

*couldn't resist*

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 324 [2] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 03:41
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
Has anyone got interview invitation?

For R1 and R2, invites came in the afternoon. Refreshing the status page will let you find out maybe a few minutes earlier than waiting for the email saying you have a status update.

Good luck!!

Yep, but that wont stop anyone from refreshing that page non-stop until the invites are posted. Oh to be waiting for an interview invite again... they're so cute at that age
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 19:23
This post received
KUDOS
how awesome was this BDW?? I think pretty much everyone there was sold on the school after this weekend.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 304 [2] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
For those interested in consulting. McKinsey is offering a scholarship, but more importantly mentorship with McKinsey.

http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/your_ba ... cholarship

Application deadline is in May 17th.

Diversity

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 9

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 06:10
This post received
KUDOS
I am IN. :))))

R3 candidate from Europe.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
AlanSmithee wrote:
bond007 wrote:
welcome R3 admits!!

To get you up to speed on housing, you may want to call Station Nine ASAP to see if they have any space on their waitlist as that is by far the most popular housing option for Fuqua Students. It's about an 8 minute drive to Fuqua but not very walkable. Other popular places include Lofts At Lakeview (where I will be residing) as well as Trinity commons. They are both a 4 minute drive or a 10-15 minute walk to school, however they are slightly on the pricier side due to their location and higher end finishes. Budget minded and mostly international Fuquans typically live in Alexan Garret Farms and Alden place. They are a 10-12 minute drive on the Highway.

For us without car. Which of these is accessible by public transportation?
Also, if anyone is looking for someone to share the apartment with feel free to contact me on: mastankovic@gmail.com

Lofts and Trinity I believe have a bus stop nearby that will drop you off within close proximity of Fuqua
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 304 [1] , given: 19

Re: Fuqua 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dakells wrote:
Question for current students: how have you found the recruiting process for jobs/internships? Are the companies that recruit on campus from offices mainly located in the South or is there no real geographic concentration?

Any school, even Stanford GSB, will have stronger recruiting in its region. For Fuqua, it is the same. There is a stronger presence from companies located in the South or East Coast; however, Fuqua isn't a regional school. Looking at the employment stat, 45% of the graduates (working in the US) work outside of the South and Northeast region. In addition, 14% of the total graduates work outside of North America.

The recruiting process is very intense. You have to balance academics, extra-curricular, and recruiting all at the same time. It's hard while you are doing it, but it helps you become better at managing time, and networking.

Diversity

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 106 [1] , given: 148

Re: Fuqua 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:23
This post received
KUDOS
I just created my application profile to check, it's 250 characters per question.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 106

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 17:16
This post received
KUDOS
bond007 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
bond007 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I visited the school last year and loved it. Duke is my #1 choice however I got a 640 (q44,v33) on my Gmat and a 3.55 GPA in Business Management from a middle tier state School. I'm a Caucasian male entrepreneur from NYC with over 4 years of w/e. I was planning on possibly retaking the GMAT however I see that the Early Decision deadline is one month away and I feel like that would be my best chance as Duke will see I'm 100% committed to the program and they would also fill one of their entrepreneur slots early on. On the other hand If I had more time I could possibly raise my GMAT by 10-40 points and apply in round 1.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Please feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks very much!

read this thread
the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html

Also, I would take another stab at the gmat if you feel you can do better. A 640 will be tough to overcome, but it is doable. Good luck!

Thanks, I did read that thread prior to posting in here. It was very helpful and glad that it worked out so well. I just wanted to get a feel for how badly the 640 will hurt me in the early decision round.

Well, look at it this way, the 80% range is 630-740. that would mean that at least 10% of the matriculating students had a 630 or lower, so lets assume around 15% of applicants received a 640 or lower.

Duke enrolled 442 students, so around 65 of the students currently at duke (class of 2013) have a 640 or lower...

So, is it possible, Yes, but you'll have to stand out in other parts of your app.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 153 [1] , given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
travisz wrote:
threestripes wrote:
I have only heard of one person in our class who was accepted in the EA round and was offered a scholly, while there seems to be a much higher percentage of R1 applicants who received $. Then again, the R1 pool could have just been far stronger than the EA pool. With that said, it is certainly not impossible to get a scholly in the EA round.

Thanks. Did you apply in R1? If I remember correctly, you did apply the year before, right?
If you are ready, how would you choose between EA and R1?

I didn't want to overanalyze and try to game the system, so I applied in the EA round. If Fuqua is truly your first choice and you are absolutely sure that your application is ready, submit in the EA round. This way, if AdCom is on the fence regarding your application, there will be R1, R2 and R3 for them to reconsider.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

1 KUDOS received
Darden Thread Master
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hi fellow applicants, I recently attended the Bangalore Info session of Duke Fuqua. I have written down my experiences here. Hope this helps a fellow applicant in their admissions process.

http://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in/2012/ ... alore.html

My MBA Application Journey:

http://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
threestripes wrote:
I have only heard of one person in our class who was accepted in the EA round and was offered a scholly, while there seems to be a much higher percentage of R1 applicants who received $. Then again, the R1 pool could have just been far stronger than the EA pool. With that said, it is certainly not impossible to get a scholly in the EA round.

I would assess the chances of being awarded a scholarship in EA based on the quality of one's application. If one has e.g. 750+ in GMAT, 3.8+ GPA from top school and so on, as well as good work experience, I find it hard to believe that the person would be omitted from $$$ based on the notion that he/she is too loyal to Fuqua as to apply in EA. So the only problem is, I guess, there are not many applicants with such profiles applying in EA to Fuqua :) So we end up guessing what is the policy

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 17:19
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for the input and the story. Good deal.

navra wrote:
threestripes wrote:

I would assess the chances of being awarded a scholarship in EA based on the quality of one's application. If one has e.g. 750+ in GMAT, 3.8+ GPA from top school and so on, as well as good work experience, I find it hard to believe that the person would be omitted from $$$ based on the notion that he/she is too loyal to Fuqua as to apply in EA. So the only problem is, I guess, there are not many applicants with such profiles applying in EA to Fuqua :) So we end up guessing what is the policy
[/quote]

I applied EA and received a half scholarship ($50 K) and I'm not anything special (don't tell my Mom that tho). Fuqua treats EA candidates the same as all other applicants when it comes to scholarship.

On a separate note, here's a good article on Poets and Quants about Fuqua jobs:
http://poetsandquants.com/2012/08/27/de ... -2nd-year/

Posted from my mobile device Image[/quote]
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 402 [1] , given: 239

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 18:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stihum wrote:
Does #3 (what is your alternative if your short-term goal does not materialize)have to have some sort of connection with your short and long-term goal? becuase my alternative has nothing to do with either my short or long-term goal.

My alternative has nothing to do with my short or long-term goals either... I'm guessing it'll be okay as it is an "alternative" path. Perhaps we could explain the connection, or lack thereof, in the optional essay?

stihum wrote:
For 'Reason for leaving' slot in employemnt section,
Is it ok to just write simple and brief? for example: Downsizing, Better career opportunity, etc
Or should I write a short paragraph?

I'm thinking short, sweet, to the point - a few sentences to a paragraph max.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 153 [1] , given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 18:30
This post received
KUDOS
MilindJ wrote:
Hi,

What is the avg. work experience at Duke ?

The first post has been updated. It now includes the Class of 2014 Profile.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 436

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
best of luck to applicants waiting for tomorrow's decision for interviews!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
I also recived the email, but expected it would be a ding email, given i did not get any interview invitation.

So can I assume I would not be admitted if I am not invited to interview so far.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 106

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 15:39
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted! officially done with round 1. Good luck!

A special good luck to the EA's next week!
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2012, 15:39