Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:53

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 00:33
highwyre237 wrote:
My interview went well, I feel like I could have answered a few questions a bit better, but I had a great connection with my interviewer. I can't wait until decision day!

I, too, think the interview pairing was fantastic. My interviewer felt like the same person as me, just from a different country and a few years older. I don't know if adcom did this intentionally, or if I indeed was lucky. I've been somewhat shocked at how much I've come to like Fuqua in general. I expected to like it, but not as much as say Tuck or Tepper, and here it was launching itself to the top of my list. :lol: Prospectives seemed like a fantastic bunch of people, too, would love to be classmates, sectionmates, teammates, yadda yadda :P
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 05:05
krudget wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
My interview went well, I feel like I could have answered a few questions a bit better, but I had a great connection with my interviewer. I can't wait until decision day!

I, too, think the interview pairing was fantastic. My interviewer felt like the same person as me, just from a different country and a few years older. I don't know if adcom did this intentionally, or if I indeed was lucky. I've been somewhat shocked at how much I've come to like Fuqua in general. I expected to like it, but not as much as say Tuck or Tepper, and here it was launching itself to the top of my list. :lol: Prospectives seemed like a fantastic bunch of people, too, would love to be classmates, sectionmates, teammates, yadda yadda :P

I agree. A month ago, Tuck was by far my number one choice... But Fuqua convinced me. My wife and I would absolutely love it there, and it is now far and away my first choice. Also, I have an odd background, and somehow Fuqua was able to match me with someone who has lived is all of the same cities I have, and has worked for competitors of companies I've worked for. Other schools have had a very tough time matching me with someone. Good luck everyone, if I get in, there is zero question in my mind, I'll be matriculating.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 15:58
I had my interview on Saturday here in Singapore with an alum. He seemed very unconvinced as to why I need an mba. I tried to reason and he seemed to buy it. But I thought I could have answered the why fuqua question much better. I focused on the teamwork aspect at fuqua but the interviewer had the "stop boring me" expression on.

Nothing to do now except hope for the best I guess.

Btw: are results out exactly on the 8th of jan or can we expect the results to come in BY the 8th. Anyone?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 16:27
hselika wrote:
I had my interview on Saturday here in Singapore with an alum. He seemed very unconvinced as to why I need an mba. I tried to reason and he seemed to buy it. But I thought I could have answered the why fuqua question much better. I focused on the teamwork aspect at fuqua but the interviewer had the "stop boring me" expression on.

Btw: are results out exactly on the 8th of jan or can we expect the results to come in BY the 8th. Anyone?

From what I've seen, all of Fuqua's results come out the day of and not before. There was no trickling of invites/acceptances/waitlists prior to the announcement dates.

The only time that decisions are rendered on a flexible basis would be after the Rd. 3 Acceptance Decision date. If you are still/put on the WL then, there is the possibility of movement anytime from then until orientation.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q38 V42
GPA: 3.72

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 17:41
hselika wrote:

I am surprised about the team fuqua thing. That's what Duke touts as what makes it unique and why I presume most of us are interested.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: Goizueta '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 09:52
Been awhile since I've updated. I was invited to interview and completed my interview this past Saturday. Pretty standard interview why mba why fuqua

Now it's the wait til decision day

Expert Post
VP
VP
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 04:20
Expert's post
I also completed my interview this past week and had a great time at Fuqua! Everyone I met was really friendly, down-to-earth, and seemed to fully embrace the spirit of Team Fuqua that people talk about.

My interview was also pretty standard -- why MBA, why Fuqua, tell me about a leadership experience, etc. No questions you cannot already find on sites like this forum.

Good luck everyone!

hselika wrote:

Results are out on the day of January 8th --- exactly 4 weeks from today! I think from last year's thread everyone got a status update email and you had to log-in to check what the letter said (accept, waitlist, ding). After that, if you were accepted, calls started coming in from adcom, your Fuqua Buddy, etc.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 16:58
I know I am obsessing even more. But last year's interview invite rate was 55% and selectivity was 27%. Even if we were to assume that around 20 of this 55 interviewed inte open season, it shouldn't affect the statistical spread. Therefore can we assume that those interviewed now have a 50-50 chance of being accepted?

Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 17:46
hselika wrote:
I know I am obsessing even more. But last year's interview invite rate was 55% and selectivity was 27%. Even if we were to assume that around 20 of this 55 interviewed inte open season, it shouldn't affect the statistical spread. Therefore can we assume that those interviewed now have a 50-50 chance of being accepted?

A friend of mine overheard a 2nd year saying that some of the open interview candidates are less competitive than the invited candidates, so maybe the chances of acceptance are slightly better than 50%..
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Schools: Carlson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 22:58
aerien wrote:
I also completed my interview this past week and had a great time at Fuqua! Everyone I met was really friendly, down-to-earth, and seemed to fully embrace the spirit of Team Fuqua that people talk about.

My interview was also pretty standard -- why MBA, why Fuqua, tell me about a leadership experience, etc. No questions you cannot already find on sites like this forum.

Good luck everyone!

hselika wrote:

Results are out on the day of January 8th --- exactly 4 weeks from today! I think from last year's thread everyone got a status update email and you had to log-in to check what the letter said (accept, waitlist, ding). After that, if you were accepted, calls started coming in from adcom, your Fuqua Buddy, etc.

Hey, even applicants Not Invited for R1 interview would get a status update on Jan 8, right? What is to be done in a scenario where it is waitlist without interview. Just wait for Feb 7, R2 invitation date or contact adcom??
Expert Post
VP
VP
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 06:00
Expert's post
punters11 wrote:
Hey, even applicants Not Invited for R1 interview would get a status update on Jan 8, right? What is to be done in a scenario where it is waitlist without interview. Just wait for Feb 7, R2 invitation date or contact adcom??

Check out my previous post for WL and general status update info:
duke-fuqua-2013-calling-all-applicants-134412-360.html#p1135273

You can also check out last year's Fuqua WL thread for some information on timing (mainly for R2 applicants though):
duke-fuqua-2012-call-all-waitlisted-applicants-130894.html

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 13:47
bond007 wrote:
hselika wrote:

A friend of mine overheard a 2nd year saying that some of the open interview candidates are less competitive than the invited candidates, so maybe the chances of acceptance are slightly better than 50%..

Some of the people that decided to do the open interview may have been uncertain whether they would receive an invite based on their current credentials. I heard this in one of the information sessions. Plus, I was one of those people :) I had a below average GMAT score even though I felt the rest of my application was strong, but I didn't want to take the chance. I was fortunate enough to be accepted, but I can definitely see quite a few people out of the open interview slot that may have felt the same.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 12:07
Ever since some schools have started releasing decisions it's like I've become a decision junkie and I need to find a decision fix. Yesterday I was trolling the Booth page, I didn't even consider applying to Booth! I have no clue how I will handle waiting three more weeks for Duke! Granted the holidays will definitely help, but it seems so far away! Ha, so sad.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 12:12
Dakells wrote:
Ever since some schools have started releasing decisions it's like I've become a decision junkie and I need to find a decision fix. Yesterday I was trolling the Booth page, I didn't even consider applying to Booth! I have no clue how I will handle waiting three more weeks for Duke! Granted the holidays will definitely help, but it seems so far away! Ha, so sad.

Ha, agreed. I should have had a nice fix today, but Cornell waited until the last minute to invite me for an interview, so I wont find out for a few weeks. I can't wait to find out for Duke! It looks like our early Jan will be like everyone else's mid december.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 12:16
highwyre237 wrote:
Dakells wrote:

Ha, agreed. I should have had a nice fix today, but Cornell waited until the last minute to invite me for an interview, so I wont find out for a few weeks. I can't wait to find out for Duke! It looks like our early Jan will be like everyone else's mid december.

Ha! I have been following everyone's plight on the Cornell page as well since I applied Rnd 2 and want to see what I'm in for. Congrats on the interview though, saw some dings went out today, so better late than never I guess!
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 14:39
I totally understand where you guys are coming from! The way I staggered my applications, Duke will be my first result on 1/8. While I'm happy for all of my GMAT Club brethren who have gotten in already (including at Duke), I'm certainly a little jealous! :)
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 11

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 18:08
D-Day is a lot of fun.
Amazing to see people you know (at least through gclub) getting into the great schools.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 23:01
asimov wrote:
Slider wrote:
Dakells wrote:

I've already paid my deposit to Duke and I still troll other pages on admission days...the decision anxiety still haunts me!

hell, I still troll on the decision days, and I'm done with b-school.

+1 except I'm still in b-school. I know it is still 16 days away but good luck!

Happy Holidays, y'all!

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 06:37
Merry Christmas all! Just a couple more weeks before Round 1 decisions are released!
Attachments

Fuqua Snow.jpg
Fuqua Snow.jpg [ 86.99 KiB | Viewed 3510 times ]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 15:51
I am applying in Round 2. Does anyone know when I could expect to get an interview invitation? My visa is expiring and I need to leave the country by the first week of Feb. I was wondering if it is worth staying here till the end of January expecting an interview [I assume it would be better to give the interview on campus as opposed to off campus]. If there is no chance of getting the interview in Jan, then I might as well leave early.

Any advice is much appreciated guys.
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2012, 15:51