Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 326 [3] , given: 19

Premium Member
Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 06:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Duke University's - Fuqua School of Business – Class of 2015 (Matriculating 2013)

Class of 2015 Facebook Group

Fuqua Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Latest GMAT Club Member Profile Updates

Detailed Applicant List:Add Yourself to This List (add Duke Fuqua to your profile)

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

Deadlines
Early Action Deadline: 9/19/2012 | Decision Date: 10/30/2012
Round 1 Deadline: 10/24/2012| Decision Date: 1/8/2013
Round 2 Deadline: 1/4/2013 | Decision Date: 3/18/2013
Round 3 Deadline: 3/21/2013 | Decision Date: 5/10/2013

Rankings (2012 GMAT Club Rankings Table)
Historical GMAT Club Applicant Threads
Popular Links

Fuqua Business School Guide: Duke Fuqua

Essays

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... y_daytime/

Required Short Answer Questions: Answer all 3 questions
Respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words).

1. What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?
2. What are your long-term goals?
3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?

Required Essays: Answer both essay questions

1. The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions Team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.

In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you - beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of "25 Random Things" about YOU.

Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.

2. When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.

Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing.

Admissions Profile - Class of 2014

Class Size - 432
Average age at entry - 29
Entering with work experience - 99.3%
Average years of work experience - 5.4
80% Range of GMAT score - 640 - 740
80% Range of undergraduate GPA - 2.9 - 3.9
Married - 25%
Women - 33%
Minorities -22%
International (by citizenship) - 40%

Undergraduate Majors
Business & Accounting - 31%
Engineering/Natural Sciences - 32%
Economics - 13%
Liberal Arts - 20%
Other - 3%

Geographic Distribution
Midwest - 7%
Northeast - 15%
Mid-Atlantic - 14%
Southwest/West - 17%
South - 11%
International (by country of residence during time of application) - 37%

Admissions Profile - Class of 2013

Class Size - 442
Average age at entry - 28
Entering with work experience - 98.6%
Average years of work experience - 5.2
80% Range of GMAT score - 630 - 740
80% Range of undergraduate GPA - 3.1 - 3.8
Married - 19%
Women - 37%
Minorities -23%
International (by citizenship) - 30%

Undergraduate Majors
Business & Accounting - 27%
Engineering/Natural Sciences - 32%
Economics - 14%
Liberal Arts - 26%
Other - 1%

Geographic Distribution
Midwest - 10%
Northeast - 24%
Mid-Atlantic - 14%
Southwest/West - 15%
South - 8%
International (by country of residence during time of application) - 29%

Employment Reports

Last edited by souvik101990 on 14 Feb 2013, 20:17, edited 12 times in total.
added facebook page
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
13 KUDOS received
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [13] , given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
im in **** tears right now. omg omg omg admitted

its a dream i swear!! it feels like im dreaming!!! pinch me!!!
11 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [11] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to all admits.

I have a quick point to make. Quite a few of those waitlisted or dinged are expressing sentiments that I think, though understandable given the circumstances, are not necessarily kosher. Everyone admitted had to go through the same steps as those who didn't make the cut - money, time, sleepless nights, etc. Ideally, we enter this process knowing that nothing is guaranteed, because each spot is fought for by several talented applicants - I thus find it hard to understand why some dinged applicants say "I was expecting an admit." No way, Jose. No one should EXPECT an admit, no matter how fantastic your interview or stats were. Would you say the same if you were applying to HSW. Don't forget that many of the same kids apply to the same top ten schools, so it's not realistic to apply to a competitive school like Fuqua and EXPECT an admit, just because you had to spend money to buy to tickets and accommodation. Come on, guys...lets be fair to the hardworking admisson committees and the rigorous admission process.

MBA application can be a really humbling experience and the earlier you approach it with a fair amount of grounding/respect/moderate expectation, the more pleasantly surprising you would find the experience.

All the best to everyone though out the remainder of the app process.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 326 [9] , given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
alis wrote:
Like some of the posters above, I was really bummed not to get a phone call after getting the online acceptance letter. It's been 2 days already and I haven't heard from anyone...

The whole bschool application process reminds me a bit of 'rush,' if any of you were in the Greek system in college. It's definitely a hands-on process that requires a lot of high-touch communication. There's nothing that can quite replace the thrill of getting a phone call inviting you to the 'cool kids club.' It generates a lot more excitement than to get a letter with no personal touch. I definitely appreciate that students are on vacation and ad coms are busy, but maybe next year they'll start doing calls before the email notification.

Nonetheless, excited to get an acceptance!
Did GMATClub just change Fuqua AdCom behavior? After all the complaints in R1, and losing aerien to Yale, Fuqua AdCom finally puts some personal touch to the admission process.

+1 for social media!
+1 for Fuqua AdCom responding to social media!
Attachments

File comment: Meghan Leypoldt, Liz Riley Hargrove, and the Blue Devil calling new admits: Welcome to Team Fuqua, Class of 2015!
admitcalls.jpg
admitcalls.jpg [ 53.56 KiB | Viewed 1495 times ]

Diversity

7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 12 [7] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
kingfalcon wrote:
Would people who got in mind sharing their profiles?

I've been a silent member for quite some time, but would like to jump in and give my two cents on my application strategy if it'd help anyone out there : )

stats:
GMAT 700 (49Q 38V)
GPA 3.5
6 years w/e in healthcare research (applied to HSM)
strong recs and EC's
female

For my essays:
- short term goals I was very modest/realistic. I specifically looked at what companies in my area of interest recruit at Fuqua and what kinds of positions students historically were successful in landing and, most importantly, spent a lot of time thinking about which of these positions would make sense in context of my long term goals (researched companies and leaders in the field I admire to see how they got where they are now). I also reached out to second year students and frankly asked them if they felt my short term goals were realistic given their experience with recruiting. This is a process that we'll all have to go through our first years anyway, so made sense to do it with my application : )
- long term goals I was quite ambitious, but very honest with where I truly wanted to be 10+ years from now. I do think that being very honest about my long term goals translated into passion during my interview (he said so as much!) so i'd encourage being honest with yourself and not write what you think they want to hear.
- random 25 I used this opportunity to really show my personality. I felt this was particularly important in my case as my long term goals are in non profit and I wanted to demonstrate that my values/passions my entire life align appropriately with my goals. I think that it's very easy to sound "fake" when people claim they want to work in non-profit so I'd definitely encourage all you non profit folks to let your passion shine through on this one. 2/25 points, I used to describe instances at work where I exemplified teamwork/leadership. And yes, I did use humor.
- why fuqua i'm not sure what to say about this essay, as it is highly personalized for each person, but I can say that i poured tons and tons of research. I made sure the adcom recognized how much research i did by citing students I talked to, and detailing student's post grad experience that i'm inspired by, how i would contribute, what leader of consequence and team fuqua mean to me and why i fit with those mottos, talking about particular research cores i'd get involved with (CASE), citing research by professors that I'm inspired by and why I'd want to collaborate/learn under them, etc. It sounds like a lot, but I just made sure that it was very consistent with my goals and top 25.
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 411 [7] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It's been 2 years with 6 months on the WL last year and now, I can finally say I'm IN!!!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

6 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 159 [6] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to all those who were accepted today! I am glad to see so many familiar names get in. Y'all should celebrate by watching our basketball team play against Clemson tonight! And bond007 - current students should also be allowed to claim your offer at BDW. :P

On a different note, I am disappointed that some of the most active posters did not get the result that they were hoping for today. To all those waitlisted, there is still hope. In fact, some of my closest friends at Duke were R2 admits who were waitlisted in R1. To all those who were denied, I am sure that the right school for you will accept you in the end. Keep your head up and soldier on!

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

6 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [6] , given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
Don't mind me sitting here in the background secretly hoping that you all get so upset by the lack of calls that none of you matriculate... and open up a spot for me :-)

Yeah, god the adcom and fuqua students are the worst! grumble grumble grumble

::fades into the background::
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 29 [5] , given: 9

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
Its amazing how one precise moment will make a tremendous change in the lives of a lot of people :)
5 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 326 [5] , given: 108

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
MBAcm2013 wrote:
HAHA. what exactly do they look for in the background check? why is everyone concerned?

As long as they dont talk to any of my ex girlfriends I should be fine...

I think its just the finality of it all. Everything you get right now say,

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE BEEN ACCEPTED!!*

*as long as you arent a stupid liar
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.26

Kudos [?]: 12 [4] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Sure - 690 GMAT (Q 50, V 34). GPA 3.26 from top 50 university. Worked at a financial firm for 4.5 years. I'll give you one advice - master your essays if you have a 680+ GMAT. That's where you can set yourself apart along with strong recommendations/resume. Best of luck, send me a PM if you want more info.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [4] , given: 42

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
Whoa just page refreshed here expecting more anxious nerves. Saw decisions were up, checked and hallelujah I AM IN!!!!!!!
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [4] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
alis wrote:
Like some of the posters above, I was really bummed not to get a phone call after getting the online acceptance letter. It's been 2 days already and I haven't heard from anyone...

The whole bschool application process reminds me a bit of 'rush,' if any of you were in the Greek system in college. It's definitely a hands-on process that requires a lot of high-touch communication. There's nothing that can quite replace the thrill of getting a phone call inviting you to the 'cool kids club.' It generates a lot more excitement than to get a letter with no personal touch. I definitely appreciate that students are on vacation and ad coms are busy, but maybe next year they'll start doing calls before the email notification.

Nonetheless, excited to get an acceptance!

I'd gladly take an acceptance and no call, rather than a waitlist. :P

Maybe your interviewer got sidetracked by life. These things happen. I got into seven medical schools a few years ago. I got a phone call from precisely zero of them. I was thrilled with every one of them. We're all different though :)
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 16 [4] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
Done with my interview today. It was with an Ad Com member and lasted for exactly an hour. He was friendly and did not try cornering me but he did ask me to explain every transition. There was strong emphasis on my extra-curricular activities during undergrad.

The questions included:
1) Why MBA? Why now?
2) Why Duke?
3) How will your friends describe you?
4) How will your team mates describe you?
5) One thing you fear about being a Duke student
6) Post MBA plans
7) One thing u loved about Duke
8) What do you do for fun?
8) 3 minute elevator pitch for the Dean of Admissions
9) Do you have any questions for me

I recommend all applicants to go through their profile VERY well before interviewing with the adcom.
He covered a lot of ground through his questions. He was spontaneous. I was comfortable and did not feel any kind of cross questioning.

Hope my experience helps u guys
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [4] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
Good Businessweek interview with Fuqua Dean Bill Boulding on Fuqua's Future (published yesterday, 2/19):
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... uas-future
4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [4] , given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
My two cents (I was a R1 admit).
1) Keep yourself busy this weekend with stuff to do so you don't even think about it. For me it was easier because I was working on other apps for Round 2. Same goes for the day of. I scheduled several back to back meetings for that very reason.
2) Read past posts around decision day for helpful info. No they are not going to call you or release decisions early. You will get the same email as everyone else and have to login in to find out. Plan on checking at 3:30. At that point you are pretty guaranteed to find out. There is no value in obsessively refreshing the page from 11 onward. This is easier said than done and why you should keep yourself busy.
3) Stay positive regardless of the outcome--I can't emphasize this enough. If you are in great. If your are wait listed figure out a game plan to get off (it definitely happens you just have to be active). If you are dinged use this as a learning experience and try to figure out what went wrong and make sure you have a back-up plan.
Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Posted from my mobile device Image
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [4] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:

Lol...they're changing it up this round?! Exciting!! Perhaps R1 yield wasn't what they hoped for? Maybe they're taking personalizing the admit process to heart this time?

Has nothing to do with yield. Students listen and we are truly a student run school...we make change happen!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.92

Kudos [?]: 12 [4] , given: 10

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
Redtailedhawk wrote:
Good luck everyone. I like the phonecalls (although just checking online is a lot less stressful)

I just got the call from Durham. IN AT DUKE! Will give details after going for a long walk and calling some friends/family!!!!!
4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 326 [4] , given: 108

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
EChopeful12 wrote:
How stupid. Just stick to the plan and announce on Monday. This phone call business is ridiculous.

unless you get a phone call
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.43

Kudos [?]: 10 [4] , given: 2

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted! Was just about to leave for work when my phone rang and I saw the infamous 919 area code. My adrenaline was already through the roof between seeing the incoming call and fumbling to answer it. Very shocked the admission decisions were released early, but pleased that the news was delivered via a personal phone call. I’ll be accepting the offer and can’t wait to meet many of you at BDW!

Male/29/Boston/Attended LGBT Weekend
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2013, 07:40