Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
aerien wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Oh Highwyre, you are awesome :)

Are you willing to sell one of your admits for 50k? I will take Fuqua in a heart beat. I love that place. haha

I have dibs on fuqua, you get stern IMO
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 22:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tobud wrote:
I was also waitlisted and invited to interview with R3 applicants. Does everybody on the WL who hasn't interviewed previously get an interview invite?

Posted from my mobile device Image

No. You can be let go and never get an invite.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 8

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 20:06
This post received
KUDOS
tobud wrote:
aerien wrote:
tobud wrote:
I was also waitlisted and invited to interview with R3 applicants. Does everybody on the WL who hasn't interviewed previously get an interview invite?

No. You can be let go and never get an invite.

I guess that's encouraging. Do you think that those of us who got invited to interview in April have a legit chance to get accepted on the R3 decision date, or are they just deciding whether they want to put us on the summer WL? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question; I am a "non-traditional" candidate and have no idea how this works.

I don't think they would spend their time speaking to you for an interview if you didn't have a legit chance. R3 is always tough but I know people on this forum that made it to the C/O 2014 and were in a similar situation as you. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
I just removed myself from the waitlist. Good luck, guys!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
I think we should get a WL headcount by the end of the week. They will start reviewing apps early May.

I’m hoping we see some movement on 5/10, I'm thinking it’ll be my last day on the waitlist. Once again, we'll see(I said the same thing about R2).

I have got a strong feeling that there will be a major movement on 5/10. Duke is probably the only school who openly say that its WL is selective and you still have a great shot at acceptance. Since lot of people on this forum have already said no, they need to be replaced by us "hungry" WLers. Let's hope for the best.

Waiting for 31 more days will be pretty tough though.

hell, I've been on the WL since 1/9.. what's another month?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
PDX105 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
PDX105 wrote:
I'll be in it for the long haul. I know I'm not the only one wondering what your plans are though. Holding out till 5/10? Later?

I visited Ithaca again, and honestly... it won me over. I'm pretty conflicted at the moment. I will definitely not be on later than 5/10.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about Johnson. Still, I'm hoping that some of us old-timers on the WL can share that celebratory beer in Durham come August. :) Either way, you've got great options in front of you.

Hey, you do too! You could be the next Mark Cuban!

Regardless of what happens in the next few weeks, we'll both be enjoying beers with classmates. Maybe in durham, maybe in ithaca and bloomington? We both deserve a celebratory beer one way or another.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
aerien wrote:

I'd jump in on the time guessing with you all but last year I didn't hear anything with R3.... *birds chirping* Instead I heard something in the beginning of June

Mr. Yale sneaks in here and dashes the hopes and optimism of 50 waitlisted applicants with a "one-liner". OUCH! :)

Just giving my own experiences ahead of tomorrow's posts "Omgz I haven't heard anything yet!! Did they take my name off the list and not tell me?!" :P

I don't care what you say, what do you know!(outside of having actual first-hand experience) :x

I'm getting in tomorrow!maybe?!?!?!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

I don't care what you say, what do you know!(outside of having actual first-hand experience) :x

I'm getting in tomorrow!maybe?!?!?!

Just finished composing the email I will send to my family/friends/recommenders tomorrow after I get in; I have gone through 6 admission notifications so far with no luck, but this one feels very different.

Well good luck, I'm rooting for you.

Also... if you don't find out tomorrow... look at aerien, from a Duke WL, to about 75 admits... And threestripes, from Duke WL to EA admit a few years back. Fuqua's summer WL isn't where people go to rot, it fosters growth and excellence in Gmatclub's best and brightest.

but I know we'd all rather get in tomorrow :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 628

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to everyone tomorrow! There are definitely some folks on here who REALLY want it; I would love for their excitement and faith to be rewarded!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
highwyre237 wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks for a great app season. A special thanks goes out to ThreeStripes, Aerien, and all my fellow WLers waiting for a spot. Thanks for all the help along the way, and good luck.
<----
Officially heading to Johnson.

Definitely wish you the best. Was certainly hoping to see you at Duke in the autumn and us both get good news. Best wishes for you at Johnson.

Some anecdotes about med school waitlists:

1) My lady just graduated last weekend with her MD and was waitlisted everywhere before acceptance.

2) I had moved into a new city for med school, before I got the call that I was in elsewhere, literally amidst unpacking, and had to move (again...and break a lease) to the new city at the drop of a hat. I do not regret it one bit.

3) One of my friends got into Vandy off of the waitlist literally the day before the white coat ceremony. Nashville real estate is terrible, so she had to live in a hotel for the first two months of med school.

So anyway, just a few tidbits (hopefully encouraging) about the craziness of summer waitlist movement.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 4

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
highwyre237 wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks for a great app season. A special thanks goes out to ThreeStripes, Aerien, and all my fellow WLers waiting for a spot. Thanks for all the help along the way, and good luck.
<----
Officially heading to Johnson.

Thanks for the special mention. I am sorry that you were forced to make this decision. Johnson is a great school, and by all means start preparing for your move to Ithaca. However, I would recommend that you not withdraw your application anyway. Wait for the final decision so that you would never have to wonder if you would have been accepted had you waited. Good luck! :)

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 14

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 20:32
This post received
KUDOS
rocket1741 wrote:
I got some bad news. A current student who is part of the Duke MBA 2015 FB group told me that there were 4-5 additions to the groups yesterday, so seems like Duke admitted few people off the waitlist. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

I wouldn't worry: you aren't added to the FB group upon admission, it is up to the individual to request membership. I was a R2 admit and only was added to the group in May. If people are joining the group now, it is possible/likely that they are R2/R3 admits just hoping to connect with classmates before the term.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
highwyre237 wrote:
So guys, my apartment deposit went through, and I have paid my second deposit to Johnson... I am officially (this time I promise) out of the WL game. Good luck all! I REALLY hope there is some sort of movement soon.

highwyre, this is a sad day indeed, but on the brighter side, you will be an ivy-league graduate in 2 years. Good Luck at Johnson, and hopefully we will run into you at some of the bschools related activities or recruiting events.

Don't leave gmatclub, though.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
I received my email on Sat, and officially withdrew myself this morning. Good luck all (again)!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
highwyre237 wrote:
I received my email on Sat, and officially withdrew myself this morning. Good luck all (again)!

Off to Ithaca...finally official ;)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 31

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
rocket1741 wrote:
I asked my counselor today if they had any movement during past couple weeks and she said no, we didn't have anyone drop out in June. That contradicts the earlier WL admit. So frustrating.

Honestly, all this zero movement stuff sounds like nonsense to me (and clearly there are people reporting admits to disprove it)...Duke is a great school, one that I can't get personally seem to get into, but its not like Stanford, which I'm sure has even reported some movement. I find it hard to believe that every school in the top ten has wait list movement and many of them have movement that is actually quite considerable, but duke has virtually none...i mean do they shower you with 100 dollar bills, beluga caviar, and dom perignon or something at blue devil weekend?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
jasarn wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:
I asked my counselor today if they had any movement during past couple weeks and she said no, we didn't have anyone drop out in June. That contradicts the earlier WL admit. So frustrating.

My counselor reported this week that they had very little movement off the waitlist recently - this confirms what was reported by someone on the forum, however, it raises concerns as to why your counselor would say something different.

I was also told that this was the first year Duke had 2 deposit deadlines for Round 1 and 2 - usually Round 1 admits have until Round 2's deposit deadline to send their deposit as well. This year, Duke had an earlier deposit deadline for Round 1 admitted students. So, Duke probably had more deposits sent in from Round 1 admits than in prior years - which might explain the higher yield and little movement off the waitlist.

I'm hoping for an opening of the flood gates to be very soon!!

Also, if you look at last years thread, there was some movement in July as well, so it's not a lost cause yet.

One thing I noticed: last year the class strength was 442 as oppose to 450. Wondering if Duke intentionally decreased their class size or lost 8 students during orientation.

Just one crazy night at shooters during orientation IMO
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 31

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
asimov wrote:
hookemhorns612 wrote:
Nope. Same reason behind why I'm unsure I would be able to go to Fuqua if admitted this summer. Super hard choice to make, but hopefully I'll be regret free come this winter when decisions come out.

Certainly, reapplicants will be expected show considerable growth and reflection in the next yr's app, but I would imagine that a summer waitlister as an R2 applicant is really close to in and an early action might have locked it down, but then again it's all speculation and nobody really knows...except maybe the guys in the admissions office at the school.

Just curious, given that you have an admit to UVa, what is the rationale behind going to a waitlist school in late summer?

Umm...not all programs are interchangeable in the eyes of prospective students.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
watersorbet wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
This forum has been pretty quite. Any recent updates? I am counting days to August 2nd to finally get the closure.

No news here :(

I know someone who dropped out of Ross last Friday. There will be an opening.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 640 Q V
GPA: 3.82
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 12

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
I talked to my counselor this morning. The official email will come in next couple days.[/quote][/quote]

Gotcha. Well, it's been a pleasure waiting with you all. I'll be matriculating at IU. Best of luck in getting into Fuqua in 2014!
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2013, 12:25