Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 07:18
Expert's post
AresZhu wrote:
aerien wrote:
AresZhu wrote:

I still don't have anything yet... hopefully they just send out things on different times for different time zones...

I *think* each counselor sends them out so timing might be different based on when they have availability. Hopefully you all hear in the next few days.

Thanks
Just realize that they send it to my other email address. Well at this point I won't keep my hope up, the effort for next year's application starts now :)

Honestly, that's a good plan. You've made it this far so you know you're 95% of the way there. With just a little more fine tuning of your application (and the additional experiences you've gained in the past year), you should be able to make strong applications for EA/R1 at Duke and elsewhere. And, if Duke comes through at the last minute, then you're all set :)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 07:22
Nothing here, I'm waiting to let them know I'm withdrawing until I get my summer counselor. I did just log onto the application portal, and I must say, I'm liking the new interface, much nicer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 07:32
aerien wrote:

Honestly, that's a good plan. You've made it this far so you know you're 95% of the way there. With just a little more fine tuning of your application (and the additional experiences you've gained in the past year), you should be able to make strong applications for EA/R1 at Duke and elsewhere. And, if Duke comes through at the last minute, then you're all set :)

I'm starting my GMAT again, trying to improve my 700 score since I'll compete against Asian pool. LOL
I do believe that I'll have a better chance applying Duke again although some essay questions will be hard to write... aka 25 randoms things... I really liked mine this year^_^
I'm sure I'll figure it out though. Hope you enjoy ur time in Yale
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 07:39
Expert's post
AresZhu wrote:
aerien wrote:

I'm starting my GMAT again, trying to improve my 700 score since I'll compete against Asian pool. LOL
I do believe that I'll have a better chance applying Duke again although some essay questions will be hard to write... aka 25 randoms things... I really liked mine this year^_^
I'm sure I'll figure it out though. Hope you enjoy ur time in Yale

Maybe they'll have a different essay prompt next year? Hopefully one that's still "fun" though!

aerien

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 09:21
No email yet. Did WL counselor say anything about movement?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 09:24
aerien wrote:

Maybe they'll have a different essay prompt next year? Hopefully one that's still "fun" though!

ha I doubt they get rid of the 25 random, god, it's pretty much the only thing adcom wanted to talk about whenever I'd see them at events. I'm pretty sure that essay is here to stay!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 09:25
no email on my end as well. if it makes a difference, im here on the west coast and have been on WL since EA
Current Student

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 09:29
ZuluMong wrote:
no email on my end as well. if it makes a difference, im here on the west coast and have been on WL since EA

Maybe we'd all have the same counselor? Either way, east coast and R1, maybe it has to do with last name, or industry, or shirt size... who knows? I'm pretty sure reading into it isnt worth the stress.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 12:15
I'm in Cali - San Francisco - got my wait list counselor email this morning. At least we are all still in the game.. Even if the game has gotten a lot harder :)

So guys and gals, what exactly is the role of a wait list counselor and how can s/he help me get into Duke?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 12:22
I'm hoping that no email means I have some good news coming in the next few days, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 13:11
Expert's post
Jokesta wrote:
I'm in Cali - San Francisco - got my wait list counselor email this morning. At least we are all still in the game.. Even if the game has gotten a lot harder :)

So guys and gals, what exactly is the role of a wait list counselor and how can s/he help me get into Duke?

Read through threestripes' posts. I feel like he leveraged WL counselor more than I did (I think I said hi :P)

aerien

Manager
Manager

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 14:02
It's 6 PM in Durham, and still no email. I think I am getting cut. Seems like last year they kept rejecting people from WL throughout summer.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 14:04
rocket1741 wrote:
It's 6 PM in Durham, and still no email. I think I am getting cut. Seems like last year they kept rejecting people from WL throughout summer.

No one is getting cut. If you are on the waitlist right now you will remain on the waitlist until orientation.
Manager
Manager

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 14:17
watersorbet wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:

No one is getting cut. If you are on the waitlist right now you will remain on the waitlist until orientation.

No, you can get cut in June/July. If you look at last years thread, some people got cut even after getting a counselor (couple of them actually complained that the cut email was automated, and not from your counselor.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 15:11
No, you can get cut in June/July. If you look at last years thread, some people got cut even after getting a counselor (couple of them actually complained that the cut email was automated, and not from your counselor.

Posted from my mobile device Image[/quote]
Oh really? I must have misunderstood the person I spoke with. Maybe they released international applicants around then due to visa requirements?

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 15:38
watersorbet wrote:

Oh really? I must have misunderstood the person I spoke with. Maybe they released international applicants around then due to visa requirements?

Posted from my mobile device Image[/quote]

I read the last year's thread and seems like some people were released early July - not sure if they were internationals or not. It makes sense though because after July, most of the WL activity at other schools die down, so there is no point in keeping a big WL roster. And, I also think some of the WLers will remove themselves from the WL mid/late July, because they can't pack and move at a short notice. Let's hope for the best - there is nothing else you can do at this point. Worse case scenario: we will reapply in Sept (after 2 months) and have a pretty good chance of getting in.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.67

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 01:27
Bah no counselor email. I think I'm either getting cut or they like you guys better!
Intern
Intern

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 05:18
i had a friend who received notification that they were removed from the WL, so if you haven't received an email you're probably still in the game. i got my summer WL email pretty late in the evening yesterday, around 7:30 pm or so here on the west coast, so it seems like it might depend on your counselor.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:32
ZuluMong wrote:
i had a friend who received notification that they were removed from the WL, so if you haven't received an email you're probably still in the game. i got my summer WL email pretty late in the evening yesterday, around 7:30 pm or so here on the west coast, so it seems like it might depend on your counselor.

Was your friend removed yesterday?

Intern
Intern

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:42
tobud wrote:
ZuluMong wrote:

Was your friend removed yesterday?

Yep, or at least thats when he told me. At this point I doubt theres going to be a lot of movement...good luck to you all in what lies ahead (other schools or reapplying)!
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2013, 07:42