Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 09:44
chasbo87 wrote:
Just got in off the waitlist yesterday. Hoping the best for all of you!

Congrats!! Did anyone else hear?? I am now officially losing hope :(.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 11:10
chasbo87 wrote:

OH WOW! First one I think!!! Congrat.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 11:49
chasbo87 wrote:

What round were you waitlisted? Also, what other extra stuff did you turn in or do since you were wait listed?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 14:08
chasbo87 wrote:

Congrats!! I hope some others get in, gl to the regulars!
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 00:53
chasbo87 wrote:

Congratulations. Are you still working for the Russian hockey team? Would you mind sharing what your strategy was during the WL?

There is one more person who reported an admit last week on the BTG (under rollcall). Not sure if he/she is just reporting a previous admit.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 10:39
Congrats on those of you who have reported getting off the waitlist. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend Fuqua this fall, and have already signed a lease with a roommate. If you are looking for housing, let me know and I can send you the details about the apartment. The complex is The Lofts at Lakeview and it is near campus.

Thanks and good luck to the rest of you still waiting to hear back!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 11:01
rhernan15 wrote:
Congrats on those of you who have reported getting off the waitlist. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend Fuqua this fall, and have already signed a lease with a roommate. If you are looking for housing, let me know and I can send you the details about the apartment. The complex is The Lofts at Lakeview and it is near campus.

Hi! Have you informed Fuqua you will not be attending? If not, please do soon! Thanks a lot!
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 12:07
rhernan15 wrote:

I can take over your lease only if you can please me let me takeover your admit also. Lol.

Hopefully you can find someone. Are you matriculating somewhere else?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 17:12
I asked my counselor today if they had any movement during past couple weeks and she said no, we didn't have anyone drop out in June. That contradicts the earlier WL admit. So frustrating.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 31

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
rocket1741 wrote:
I asked my counselor today if they had any movement during past couple weeks and she said no, we didn't have anyone drop out in June. That contradicts the earlier WL admit. So frustrating.

Honestly, all this zero movement stuff sounds like nonsense to me (and clearly there are people reporting admits to disprove it)...Duke is a great school, one that I can't get personally seem to get into, but its not like Stanford, which I'm sure has even reported some movement. I find it hard to believe that every school in the top ten has wait list movement and many of them have movement that is actually quite considerable, but duke has virtually none...i mean do they shower you with 100 dollar bills, beluga caviar, and dom perignon or something at blue devil weekend?
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 07:16
hookemhorns612 wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:

Honestly, all this zero movement stuff sounds like nonsense to me (and clearly there are people reporting admits to disprove it)...Duke is a great school, one that I can't get personally seem to get into, but its not like Stanford, which I'm sure has even reported some movement. I find it hard to believe that every school in the top ten has wait list movement and many of them have movement that is actually quite considerable, but duke has virtually none...i mean do they shower you with 100 dollar bills, beluga caviar, and dom perignon or something at blue devil weekend?

Good point hookem. I don't consider myself an expert, but the lack of movement is very surprising. I honestly feel that there could be two reasons: a) Duke really did over admit this year which is odd because the Gmatclub yield for Duke is fairly low (based on what I observed on this forum).
B) they are waiting for all other schools to trim down their waitlists before Duke opens the flood gates.

The only WL admit reported here is from last week. That person is coaching a Russian hockey team so it could be very possible that he/she told Duke that a decision is needed at least a month before the school starts.

It's all speculation at this moment. Lets hope that my theory of Duke opening flood gates holds true. If not, given the fact that we are still on WL, our chances will be very high in ED/R1. Are you going to Darden?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.64

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 11:10
hookemhorns612 wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:

For what it's worth, I spoke to my waitlist counselor two weeks ago and, at that point, there had been no movement off the summer waitlist. She basically said there are a lot of moving parts right now (with people dropping from the waitlist and accepted individuals choosing to go elsewhere) and late-June/early-July is when they dial in the waitlist acceptances.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 11:16
rocket1741 wrote:

My counselor reported this week that they had very little movement off the waitlist recently - this confirms what was reported by someone on the forum, however, it raises concerns as to why your counselor would say something different.

I was also told that this was the first year Duke had 2 deposit deadlines for Round 1 and 2 - usually Round 1 admits have until Round 2's deposit deadline to send their deposit as well. This year, Duke had an earlier deposit deadline for Round 1 admitted students. So, Duke probably had more deposits sent in from Round 1 admits than in prior years - which might explain the higher yield and little movement off the waitlist.

I'm hoping for an opening of the flood gates to be very soon!!
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 12:07
jasarn wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:

My counselor reported this week that they had very little movement off the waitlist recently - this confirms what was reported by someone on the forum, however, it raises concerns as to why your counselor would say something different.

I was also told that this was the first year Duke had 2 deposit deadlines for Round 1 and 2 - usually Round 1 admits have until Round 2's deposit deadline to send their deposit as well. This year, Duke had an earlier deposit deadline for Round 1 admitted students. So, Duke probably had more deposits sent in from Round 1 admits than in prior years - which might explain the higher yield and little movement off the waitlist.

Also, if you look at last years thread, there was some movement in July as well, so it's not a lost cause yet.

One thing I noticed: last year the class strength was 442 as oppose to 450. Wondering if Duke intentionally decreased their class size or lost 8 students during orientation.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 108

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
jasarn wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:

Also, if you look at last years thread, there was some movement in July as well, so it's not a lost cause yet.

One thing I noticed: last year the class strength was 442 as oppose to 450. Wondering if Duke intentionally decreased their class size or lost 8 students during orientation.

Just one crazy night at shooters during orientation IMO
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 07:56
lol@ highwyre. I think adcom should take that into consideration when they put a class together (dropouts due to shooters). By the way, did you withdraw your application or are you still in the hunt?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 08:03
hailmary620 wrote:
lol@ highwyre. I think adcom should take that into consideration when they put a class together (dropouts due to shooters). By the way, did you withdraw your application or are you still in the hunt?

Nope, all withdrawn. I'm just hanging out on the sidelines cheering everyone else on.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 14:51
When you guys send updates do you hear back same day? I sent mine on Fri and didn't get a response.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 16:10
rocket1741 wrote:
When you guys send updates do you hear back same day? I sent mine on Fri and didn't get a response.

I used to hear that day, but last week I sent two updates - the first was never acknowledged but the second one that I sent a few days later was. I checked to make sure that they had received the first and they had. Maybe shoot them an email?
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 16:30
watersorbet wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:

I used to hear that day, but last week I sent two updates - the first was never acknowledged but the second one that I sent a few days later was. I checked to make sure that they had received the first and they had. Maybe shoot them an email?

I assume that you sent it to same person, so I would guess that his acknowledgment of second update covered the first one as well. I doubt you have anything to lose by confirming with him/her.

btw, 2 updates in a matter of few days - you must have a lot to share. I honestly ran out of all updates, and can't think of anything else to share with adcom. Maybe I should update them about no updates. :P

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2013, 16:30