Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

*** DUKE FUQUA vs. UCLA ANDERSON

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

*** DUKE FUQUA vs. UCLA ANDERSON [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 04:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Any recommendation is greatly appreciated. :)

Background:

1. International student
2. Worked in marketing research for 1 year and currently working for family business in the luxury industry

- Aim to focus in marketing and entrepreneurship

I'm now leaning towards Duke due to its marketing program and close-knit community/student body. But, most ppl around me root me for Anderson mostly because of its location. I'm hesitating because Anderson is known to have an outstanding entrepreneurial program/club. I don't know much about entrepreneurship at Duke.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: *** DUKE FUQUA vs. UCLA ANDERSON [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 05:02
Expert's post
Congrats on getting into both programs. I've never been to other schools, but I believe Fuqua has a decent entrepreneurship program that is growing. If you haven't, you should check out Fuqua's Program for Entrepreneurs (http://www.dukep4e.org/). Howie (Director) does a good job in bringing in speakers to talk about all aspect of entrepreneurship, from IP protection to raising capital. We also have start-up challenge and business plan competitions, which have a fair amount of VC in attendence. There're also a few incubator/accelerators in Durham, even a non-profit incubator. I think the only downside of entrepreneurship in Durham is that there aren't as much computer science talent for doing a startup in a web technology sector. The upside is that for biomedical type of startups, the RTP area is very strong.

When you are making your decision, think about what you want to do immediately out of school. If you want to go into industry and then transition into entrepreneurship after you've gain some experience and credibility, I would recommend to go to a school with a better connection/reputation in the target industry. If you want to start a company immediately out of school, you should go to a school/location with strong startup connections in your area of interest. Startups are a connection heavy business and VC tend to invest within its immediate area.

Diversity

Intern
Intern

Re: *** DUKE FUQUA vs. UCLA ANDERSON [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 08:00
Thank you so much for the shout out! Great insight you have there. I am also aware that Fuqua is focusing more of entrepreneurship these days. It's probably been downplayed by marketing and general management Fuqua offers. (On the contrary to Anderson where they have a solid reputation in this field)

Right after graduation, I want to gain some more experience in the retail IT-based industry which is the industry i'm heading towards for a year or two. Then, i will start-up a company based on such experiences.

I know that Anderson probably suits me better regarding the future industry but i'm tempt by Duke's marketing & general management excellence, the school vibe and friendly tight-knit community.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: *** DUKE FUQUA vs. UCLA ANDERSON [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 08:52
If you're planning on a start-up, I think the orientation of the brand becomes less relevant. Each school is going to have students to network with that can advise/partner with you, but it'll be up to you to seek them out.

If anything, I wonder if location may seem like a more relevant factor? Are you more inclined to try tapping a specific geography first, or are you going to go the web route and criss-cross the country for installs?

Some thoughts anyway, but if you love Duke go to Duke. I don't think you'll be kicking yourself afterwards by any means.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: *** DUKE FUQUA vs. UCLA ANDERSON [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 10:16
Thanks for the input :) Personally, I think marketing is the core of any business and because it's of my interest so I want to pay particular attention into this field.

I'm going to touch base the web-related industry, retail to be specific. Then will transfer knowledge/insight to home country.

I agree that I couldn't go wrong in any of these choices. I just want to be certain I consider every aspects and weight it properly.
Re: *** DUKE FUQUA vs. UCLA ANDERSON   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2011, 10:16