Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$)

• 59% [42]
  • 5% [4]
  • 35% [25]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 15:34
Goals:
ST: Go abroad via one of the MBB Consulting firms
LT: Grow at MBB- partner track

All that is important to me is to land at MBB- which one to choose!?

Duke: Named scholarship- full tuition
UCLA: Fellowship- 75%
Booth: 10K merit

Thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 7

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 18:55
This post received
KUDOS
If MBB is your goal, any of those schools would suffice. Duke is a core recruiting school for MBB in that region, so I would take the money and run!

That said, there is an element of prestige that comes with going to Chicago Booth. Top 5 vs. top 15. Since the recruiting chances will be almost the same, the question is whether the prestige is worth $110K?
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 659 [1] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
Created a poll and voted Duke... There is a prestige difference between Booth & Fuqua, but IMO not worth 110k.. Unless you've got rich parents and 110k is pocket change for you, I'd say go to Duke... :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 20:27
Psyched wrote:
If MBB is your goal, any of those schools would suffice. Duke is a core recruiting school for MBB in that region, so I would take the money and run!

That said, there is an element of prestige that comes with going to Chicago Booth. Top 5 vs. top 15. Since the recruiting chances will be almost the same, the question is whether the prestige is worth $110K?

That's a great question, and I guess I'll leave it up to my fellow gmatclub-ers.... is the prestige worth $110K?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 21

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
I would co-sign the call to Duke. Booth is a great school and I would've voted for Booth without the full ride at Fuqua (also a named scholarship which boosts the resume). MBB firms recruit at Duke as well but you should probably confirm that they will recruit for international offices out of Fuqua as well (from my understanding this should not be a problem).

Congratulations for getting into 3 great schools and all with fellowships!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 16

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 06:34
This post received
KUDOS
Poets and Quants analyzed LinkedIn profiles (http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/17/where-top-mbas-work-in-consulting/2/). Maybe it is not very scientific, but it shows that quite a few people at Duke work for MBB afterwards (and, if you trust the numbers, it is no big difference compared to Booth if you consider the smaller class size). For me, that would be enough to take the money and go to Duke.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 39

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
Ask Booth is they can increase the fellowship. I'm sure they wont match the full ride, but they could close the gap. If they cannot increase it, I would go to Duke.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 86 [2] , given: 66

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 13:47
This post received
KUDOS
gentlejack wrote:
Poets and Quants analyzed LinkedIn profiles (http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/17/where-top-mbas-work-in-consulting/2/). Maybe it is not very scientific, but it shows that quite a few people at Duke work for MBB afterwards (and, if you trust the numbers, it is no big difference compared to Booth if you consider the smaller class size). For me, that would be enough to take the money and go to Duke.

I'm not sure I follow your math. Duke's class size is ~75% of Booth's, but the link you provided shows 245% as many MBB'ers from Booth. Last year, there were 23 full-time MBB'ers from Fuqua vs. 80 from Booth. 29 vs. 60 for interns. All of this is in spite of Fuqua having half as many students pursuing finance. Fuqua is a phenomenal school, but Booth clearly has the edge according to OP's "MBB or bust" metric. Whether that advantage is worth $110k, I couldn't say.

Last edited by brandon432 on 31 Mar 2014, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
With a named fellowship you can probably nab one of the MBB positions, but you do run the risk of it being in a shitty office (e.g. Atlanta).

Kellogg was my top choice (I also want to do MBB), but if Duke gave me a full scholarship, I'd probably have gone to Duke.

But ya, first step, see if Booth will give you more money, because I'd choose Booth once the difference was only $60k or so.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 16

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
brandon432 wrote:
gentlejack wrote:

I'm not sure I follow your math. Duke's class size is ~75% of Booth's, but the link you provided shows 245% as many MBB'ers from Booth. Even adjusted for class size, that's 85% more. Last year, there were 23 full-time MBB'ers from Fuqua vs. 80 from Booth. 29 vs. 60 for interns. All of this is in spite of Fuqua having half as many students pursuing finance. Fuqua is a phenomenal school, but Booth clearly has the edge according to OP's "MBB or bust" metric. Whether that advantage is worth $110k, I couldn't say.

Sorry if I was not clear on that, Booth is surely placing better by looking at the numbers. But it is not the case that only a handful students make it into MBB at Duke, so it is actually possible to go that path. I even read the argument somewhere around here that it might be easier to be stellar at a lower ranked school, which might help one to get the best offers there.. Well, I guess nobody can really tell what advantage one would have at one school over the other, as nobody did the MBA at both schools, but the difference in cost is undeniable.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 627

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
mgh234 wrote:
With a named fellowship you can probably nab one of the MBB positions, but you do run the risk of it being in a shitty office (e.g. Atlanta).

Kellogg was my top choice (I also want to do MBB), but if Duke gave me a full scholarship, I'd probably have gone to Duke.

But ya, first step, see if Booth will give you more money, because I'd choose Booth once the difference was only $60k or so.

For what it's worth, Duke did not appear to do very well in internship recruiting for MBB Atlanta this year. Also, to defend Atlanta a little bit, the Atlanta offices (and Southern offices in general) for all the firms consistently rank near the top of worldwide happiness and work-life balance rankings.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 659 [1] , given: 116

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
I don't know if asking for a scholarship from Booth citing the Fuqua one will work.. Booth are (is it "are" or "is") not known to match scholarships even from peer schools..

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 86 [3] , given: 66

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 21:33
This post received
KUDOS
gentlejack wrote:
I even read the argument somewhere around here that it might be easier to be stellar at a lower ranked school, which might help one to get the best offers there. Well, I guess nobody can really tell what advantage one would have at one school over the other, as nobody did the MBA at both schools....

This is an interesting question and one, I agree, that no one has a definitive too. My take: a candidate's abilities, augmented by only 1 term of an MBA program, are likely to be very similar to matter where he/she attends school. If you are good enough to get MBB offers at Fuqua, you would be good enough to get MBB offers at Booth (or HBS or wherever). In other words, the difference in offer rates between schools reflects the number of qualified candidates at each. I don't really buy that it would easier to be a big fish in a small pond. Just my $0.02.

MacFauz wrote:
I don't know if asking for a scholarship from Booth citing the Fuqua one will work.. Booth are (is it "are" or "is") not known to match scholarships even from peer schools.

I haven't heard of it working, except for schools that are clearly peers or better. That said, it can't hurt to ask. I haven't heard of any revoked offers due to bargaining. In the US, "Booth is." In the UK, I think "Booth are." Not British, so I can't really be sure.

kingfalcon wrote:
Also, to defend Atlanta a little bit, the Atlanta offices (and Southern offices in general) for all the firms consistently rank near the top of worldwide happiness and work-life balance rankings.

I concur. I have friends going to 2 of 3 MBB's in ATL either for FT or summer, and they'd run circles around me.

Finally, if you want to go abroad, ask around to see whether that is an option for MBB'ers at Fuqua. My impression from several campus visits was that only candidates from top-10ish schools have unlimited geographic flexibility. Other schools only see regional recruiting.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 19

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
brandon432 wrote:
Finally, if you want to go abroad, ask around to see whether that is an option for MBB'ers at Fuqua. My impression from several campus visits was that only candidates from top-10ish schools have unlimited geographic flexibility. Other schools only see regional recruiting.
Going to international office is possible from Fuqua, typically is students going back to their home country, or country with significant living experience. After starting, it's possible, but not easy, to move offices. One of my classmates was accepted into BCG's ambassador program after 1 year at the firm, and got an assignment in Europe.

Diversity

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
Re Atlanta office - there's definitely no shame in working for the Atlanta office vs. the more "prestigious" NYC/SF offices at MBB. Lots of big name partners are going to places like, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami and Jacksonville (in FL so they can live in west palm or ponte vedra) and pay small state income taxes. I was at a top 5, though not MBB, MC firm in the NYC office and worked on high profile projects with tons of consultants flying up from Atlanta. The reality of being a consultant is that you're travelling mon-thurs so you're rarely in the city in which you live. A lot of the NYC/SF consultants I worked with kind of lamented paying NYC/SF rents when they were doing a project in Chicago or Dallas. Plus if you're at a Duke, the chances of getting into the Atlanta office may be slightly higher than if you're trying to get into the NYC office which is flooded with HBS/CBS MBAs. Just a thought, seems like you've got no bad options though, congrats! :)
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
If you were going into PE/VC, I would have said Booth, but in this situation, you should save 110k and pick Fuqua.

And, you can recruit for international offices from Fuqua. For Class of 2014, people went to Bain's London, Mexico City and Seoul offices.
Source: http://www.joinbain.com/apply-to-bain/b ... ool_id=213

And, you can get a job at any domestic office. For BCG, 4 students went to DC, 3 went to Chicago and 1 went to NJ.
Source: http://www.bcg.com/join_bcg/oncampus/fu ... rsOnCampus

I was at BDW and heard that recruiting was much better for class of 2015. We will see when the numbers come out.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
I vote Booth
Re: Duke ($$$$$) v Booth ($) v UCLA ($$$)   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2014, 21:55