Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke vs Cornell (Fuqua vs Johnson)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Duke vs Cornell (Fuqua vs Johnson) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 14:03
Hi All,

I am a software engineer with 7 years of workex with 2 leading US companies and including 3 years of workex in the US.

I plan to pursue a career in management consulting and thereafter strategy planning. I am not sure what my fallback career option would be though. I would try to get into some sort of strategy planning role in the corporate sector.

I have the choice to join Fuqua or Johnson for my MBA starting this fall. As I sift through the internet and rankings, I am confused with mixed opinions on both. I understand that Cornell has a better brand name in India but I plan to work in the US for at least 4-5 years post-MBA till I payback my loan.

Any opinions/facts/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke vs Cornell (Fuqua vs Johnson) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 16:02
renascence wrote:
Hi All,

I am a software engineer with 7 years of workex with 2 leading US companies and including 3 years of workex in the US.

I plan to pursue a career in management consulting and thereafter strategy planning. I am not sure what my fallback career option would be though. I would try to get into some sort of strategy planning role in the corporate sector.

I have the choice to join Fuqua or Johnson for my MBA starting this fall. As I sift through the internet and rankings, I am confused with mixed opinions on both. I understand that Cornell has a better brand name in India but I plan to work in the US for at least 4-5 years post-MBA till I payback my loan.

Any opinions/facts/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm going to assume that money-wise, there's no scholarship and it's not too big of a factor. If that's the case, I would go with Fuqua that has a bit more traction with the large MC companies. In 4 or 5 years, when you do go back to India, it'll be less important as to where you went to school than it would've been if you were to go back right after MBA. By then, a lot will depend on your work experience. While Cornell has a great brand name, the truth is that Duke (has also a great name, by the way) has consistently ranked higher than Cornell and in the business world, Duke will trump Cornell most of the time.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke vs Cornell (Fuqua vs Johnson) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 16:20
Thanks bakfed. Yes, I do not have any scholarship from either.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke vs Cornell (Fuqua vs Johnson) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 18:22
i dont think it matters either way, the difference in MC at either is negligible, the big 3 are heavily present at both schools. go with where you want to be for 2 years, where you felt more at home....where you feel you fit in better.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Duke vs Cornell (Fuqua vs Johnson)   [#permalink] 24 May 2011, 18:22