Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [22]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3662 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [1]
Send PM
Re: During a sale, for each shirt that Mark purchased at the regular price [#permalink]
Kudos
vdhawan1 wrote:
I think C is the only straight forward answer here
what is the OA for this one

prasannar wrote:
C for me

How many shirts did Mark purchase during the sale?

We need the total amount/ unit price= #

Stmt-> (1) The regular price of each of the shirts that Mark purchased during the sale was $21.50. Insuff

(2) The total of the prices for all the shirts that Mark purchased during the sale was $129.00.
Stmt-2 insufficient since we have two unknowns

combining 1&2 we can solve the problem thus C

With your general reasoning and with my work already overload :-D , I still not figure out the OA!

Here is my reasoning:

1. x is number of shirts she buy with regular price
2. y is number of shirts she buy with 1/2 regular price.

Question asks x+y=?

So, from statement1: x*21.5 +y*21.5/2 =...? so not suff
from the statement2: x*21.5 +y*21.5/2 = 129, so stil not suff

Comebine state 1 and 2 still not help! so E, help me out what wrong with my reasoning! Thanks!
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Re: During a sale, for each shirt that Mark purchased at the regular price [#permalink]
Kudos
Keep in mind that x=y
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Send PM
kevincan wrote:
Keep in mind that x=y

sondenso wrote:
each shirt that Mark purchased at the regular price, he also purchased a shirt at half the regular price.

Why do you think that x=y?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3662 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
regular price, he also purchased a shirt at half the regular price
assuming that Mark purchased a shirt for $X he also purchased a shirt for $X/2 if the regular price means different prices then it has to be E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Answer should be C

p = price of shirt
x = quantity of shirt purchased
we know that for each reg price shirt purchased, there was a purchase of one half priced shirt

px+ 1/2px = 129

px(1+1/2) = 129
px = 86

we know p=21.50

we can solve for x
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM