Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During a single hour of a pledge drive for a public radio

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 335

During a single hour of a pledge drive for a public radio [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 10:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

39% (02:16) correct 61% (01:35) wrong based on 137 sessions
During a single hour of a pledge drive for a public radio station, anyone making a pledge of a stated amount was given a free gift. Pledges were encouraged by the announcement that the retail cost of the gift was equal to the amount of the pledge. Yet, at the end of the hour, the total money raised from pledges accounted for a larger dollar amount than the amount organizers had paid for all the free gifts.

Which of the following, if true, is the best explanation for the fact that funds raised from pledges during the hour accounted for more money than the cost of the free gifts?

A)The cost of postage was included in the total cost assigned to the gifts, making them seem more expensive to potential donors.

B)Organizers underestimated the amount of money that would be raised during the hour and were surprised by the actual total of pledges.

C)Organizers overestimated the number of donors who would respond to the offer and were forced to offer gifts at half price when there were fewer pledges than expected.

D)Free gifts were donated by a sponsor, eliminating the need to subtract the cost of them from the total money raised through pledges.

E)More money was raised during this hour than during the previous three hours, driving down the average out-of-pocket cost of the free gifts.

One Final Try.......

Last edited by RaviChandra on 11 Apr 2010, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
8 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 331

Kudos [?]: 714 [8] , given: 11

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 13:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All,

I got a request to weigh in on this one, but to be honest, I'm unsure where the confusion is. People keep saying that the answer goes against a written premise. It doesn't in the slightest:

During a single hour of a pledge drive for a public radio station, anyone making a pledge of a stated amount was given a free gift. Pledges were encouraged by the announcement that the retail cost of the gift was equal to the amount of the pledge. Yet, at the end of the hour, the total money raised from pledges accounted for a larger dollar amount than the amount organizers had paid for all the free gifts.

This is an "Explain the Discrepancy" question, so all we need to do is write it in our own words.

Discrepancy: Station gives away gift that retails for the same amount as associated pledge, yet station makes profit. How?

Explanation: Pretty obvious that the gifts were donated. This is how the majority of charity auctions are run.

A)The cost of postage was included in the total cost assigned to the gifts, making them seem more expensive to potential donors.
PROBLEM: This doesn't address the issue. Even if cost of postage is included, the station's outlay = pledges if they had to buy the gifts.

B)Organizers underestimated the amount of money that would be raised during the hour and were surprised by the actual total of pledges.
PROBLEM: Again, if they had to buy the gifts, outlay still = pledges.

C)Organizers overestimated the number of donors who would respond to the offer and were forced to offer gifts at half price when there were fewer pledges than expected.
PROBLEM: This wouldn't help at all. In fact, it looks like it would hurt the discrepancy.

D)Free gifts were donated by a sponsor, eliminating the need to subtract the cost of them from the total money raised through pledges.
ANSWER: People keep saying this goes against the premise. But the premise never says the gifts were bought. It says "total money raised from pledges accounted for a larger dollar amount than the amount organizers had paid for all the free gifts." That does not imply that they bought them at all. It just says they made more money than they paid. Even if the amount they paid was $0, this would remain a true premise. I see no contradiction. : )

E)More money was raised during this hour than during the previous three hours, driving down the average out-of-pocket cost of the free gifts.
PROBLEM: Same problem as B.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 107 [1] , given: 335

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 18:35
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks TommyWallach,
Now its very clear

One Final Try.......

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 19:02
it's D. If oraganizer does not need to pay the cost of the gifts , whatever fund is raised the radio station gets to keep it. so whatever they raise , the station will always be at profit.

OA please.
Retired Moderator

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 20:58
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is D

if we observe the last sentence it clearly says that the gifts are bought...
even thought option D is very convincing i eliminated D thinking they are bought and can not be gifted.....

Can some one explain this!!!!

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 23:49
RaviChandra wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is D

if we observe the last sentence it clearly says that the gifts are bought...
even thought option D is very convincing i eliminated D thinking they are bought and can not be gifted.....

Can some one explain this!!!!

Let me try..!!

Organizers had gifts: "Free gifts" can be bought by organizers or sponsors can provide "free gift" to organizers.

AND NOW..

Organizers have to give these gifts to the pledge makers...!! And the any pledge makers will get the "free gift" equivalent to the pledge made.

SO, Let say there 10 pledge makers and each made a pledge $ 10.. so total worth of gifts to be given by organizers shud worth $100.

But let say organizers bought only 8 gifts themselves and 2 were offered by the sponsors..>>>> So, effectively Organizers paid less...|>> funds raised from pledges during the hour accounted for more money than the cost of the "free gifts" PAID by the organizers..

Hope it helps..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 06:07
We should ask NPR if the scenario is possible :)
I selected D, but yes it contradicts the premise. Nice attempt to explain Nverma, but I don't think that's enough. "Free gifts were donated by a sponsor" could be mean either way.
Retired Moderator

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 07:26
Yes verma nice attempt to explain but... Im some how still not convinced with the answer

One Final Try.......

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 6

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 11:45
very unusual option as OA.

I thought "Free gifts were donated by a sponsor" is a trap....:(
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 01:31
RaviChandra wrote:
Thanks TommyWallach,
Now its very clear

"total money raised from pledges accounted for a larger dollar amount than the amount organizers had paid for all the free gifts."

think about that they may have bought all the gifts at a discount from wholesaller.

Anything that gives you a clue how they received (for free or paid) that "gifts" cheaper have to attract your attention.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 03:33
option D completely resolves the discrepancy found here.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 14:04
I agree, D seems to be the most probable.

If you like my posts please consider giving me KUDOS!!!!!!!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 112

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 21:56
yup.... chose A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 20:44
D

consider cudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 12:29
I was so confused among A B and D ...........finally went with B ............I wouldn't have initially agreed but tommy's explanation is good .......Thanks
Manager
Manager
Schools: IESE '13
WE 1: Engineer
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 22:06
had paid does not equal bought ---- actually i read this and was reminded of the stupid joke some people say, when they got something for "free ninety nine" - that's how much they paid (free) not how much they bought it for...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 07:10
Good one . Went for D!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 07:31
Answer should be D, as it clearly gives details about cost of gifts = 0 and thereby proving that

cost to get gifts < amount of money from pledges.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:41
D coz organizers paid nothing

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 37

Re: Pledge [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 16:49
I know this may be a dumb question... The passage claerly says "the total money raised from pledges accounted for a larger dollar amount [highlight]than the amount organizers had paid for all the free gifts[/highlight]."
So it says that they had paid something for the gifts....So how can we assume an answer which is related to donations? please explain?

Thanks,
VP

Re: Pledge   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2010, 16:49