Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During an ice age, the buildup of ice at the poles and the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

During an ice age, the buildup of ice at the poles and the [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2009, 13:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
During an ice age, the buildup of ice at the poles and the drop in water levels near the equator speed up the Earth's rotation, like a spinning figure skater whose speed increases when her arms are drawn in.

(A) like a spinning figure skater whose speed increases when her arms are drawn in
(B) like the increased speed of a figure skater when her arms are drawn in
(C) like a figure skater who increases speed while spinning with her arms drawn in
(D) just as a spinning figure skater who increases speed by drawing in her arms
(E) just as a spinning figure skater increases speed by drawing in her arms

could you please explain your answer (especially why you would pick a particular choice).
Current Student
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 1

Re: figure skater [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 17:28
E

As is needed to compare clauses and I feel who is not needed.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: figure skater [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 21:49
sanjay_gmat wrote:
During an ice age, the buildup of ice at the poles and the drop in water levels near the equator speed up the Earth's rotation, like a spinning figure skater whose speed increases when her arms are drawn in.

(A) like a spinning figure skater whose speed increases when her arms are drawn in
(C) like a figure skater who increases speed while spinning with her arms drawn in

could you please explain your answer (especially why you would pick a particular choice).

1. Just as...., so...: E out
2. just as +clause, D out
3. The buildup...and the drop...., like a ...skater: A and C out

B is the best

Anyway, you should post SC in the subforum of SC, OK?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 18

Re: figure skater [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 23:31
I go with A. wat is oa?
like should be used, and we are not comparing speed here, we are comparing a phenomenon which increases speed.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: figure skater [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 05:25
For me E

(the buildup of ice at the poles and the drop in water levels near the equator ) -X speed up the the Earth's rotation, just as (a spinning figure skater) - Y increases speed by drawing in her arms
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: figure skater [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 09:38
IMO E...

Like compares nouns

As compares clauses.

So ABC is out. pronoun 'who' in option D is unnecessary.

Correct me if i am wrong.

REgards

SUrya
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: figure skater [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 16:07
"Build up of ice and the drop in water" speed the earth's rotation just "as a figure skater" increases the speed by drawing her arms in.

E - is the best choice.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

Re: figure skater [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 12:22
E for me
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 749 [0], given: 11

Re: figure skater [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 09:49
Hey All,

I recently addressed this question in the SC forum. I figured I'd repost by original post here. Voila:

As some have said, this is a comparison issue, but the notion of comparing "actions" versus "things" is a dangerous one. I warn you that the explanations below are complicated, so feel free to ask follow-up questions. First, let's consider a simple comparison example:

Like running, swimming is great.

No one would argue that we aren't comparing actions in that sentence, but these are gerunds (verbal nouns), so we have to use "like". Thus the distinction between "actions" and "nouns" starts to break down. Now watch this:

Like Einstein, Dave was a really smart guy.

You could argue here that we're comparing people (Einstein and Dave) OR actions (they were both smart guys), yet we still need "like".

In reality, we only use AS when comparing CLAUSES (a phrase with a verb in a tense). "Like Einstein" has no verb in a tense, so we use LIKE. Similarly, "Like running" doesn't have a verb in a tense, so we use LIKE. Let's consider the answer choices in this light...

257. During an ice age, the buildup of ice at the poles and the drop in water levels near the equator speed up the Earth’s rotation, like a spinning figure skater whose speed increases when her arms are drawn in.

PROBLEM: Believe it or not, in this iteration of the sentence, LIKE is more correct. Think of it like this. I could correctly write, "Faster and faster turned the merry-go-round, like a spinning figure skater." In this sentence, the second phrase has NO VERB in a tense, so LIKE is okay (we're comparing the NOUN "merry-go-round" with the NOUN "spinning figure skater" (spinning is an adjective there)).

Now before you all get up in arms, obviously this answer choice is in correct. We WANT to compare actions (namely the way that the Earth's rotation speeds up, as well as the skater's rotation). But in this answer choice, if we just threw in AS, we wouldn't have the verb that we need to make this a clause. The verb "increases" is inside a modifying phrase, initiated by the relative pronoun "whose", so we lack an actual action to be comparing. Complicated, I know, but a critical piece of information you must understand to answer these brutal comparison/modifier questions. (I'd also add that the wording of this particular sentence makes it sound like we're comparing "rotation" to "spinning figure skater", which makes it even more wrong.)

PROBLEM: Comparison logic. It's not the increased speed we want to compare to, though the LIKE is correct (this isn't a clause, as the verb "are drawn in" is within another modifying phrase, initiated by the relative pronoun "when").

PROBLEM: Comparison logic. It's not like a figure skater who increases speed with her arms drawn in, but it's like THE WAY speed increases when the arms are drawn in (as nitya said, we need the clause, not the noun).

PROBLEM: Fragmentary. Just like we saw in A, the "who" phrase is a modifier, so we never get a main verb here, meaning we CANNOT use AS correctly here. It would need to be something like "just as a spinning figure skater who draws in her arms increases her speed". Now we have the verb "increases" as a main verb, so we're allowed to use "as".

ANSWER: Voila. We get the AS, and the main verb "INCREASES".

As I said above, I'm happy to answer follow-up questions here. Hope this helped!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: figure skater   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2010, 09:49