Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During his three years in office, the governor of a state

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

During his three years in office, the governor of a state [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 08:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:42) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
During his three years in office, the governor of a state has frequently been accused of having sexist attitudes toward women. Yet he has filled five of the nineteen vacant high-level positions in his administration with women appointees, all of whom are still serving. This shows that the governor is not sexist.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

A. One of the women appointed by the governor to a high-level position is planning to
resign her post.
B. The platform of the governor’s political party required him to appoint at least five
women to high-level positions.
C. Forty-seven percent of the women who voted in the state gubernatorial election three
years ago voted for the governor
D. A governor of a neighboring state recently appointed seven women to high-level
positions
E. The governor appointed tow Black Americans, tow Hispanic Americans, and one Asian American to high-level positions in his administration.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 08:48
No doubts about B

Will explain if anyone differs
Manager
Manager

Re: CR governer and women [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 08:53
boksana wrote:
During his three years in office, the governor of a state has frequently been accused of having sexist attitudes toward women. Yet he has filled five of the nineteen vacant high-level positions in his administration with women appointees, all of whom are still serving. This shows that the governor is not sexist.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

A. One of the women appointed by the governor to a high-level position is planning to
resign her post.
B. The platform of the governor’s political party required him to appoint at least five
women to high-level positions.
C. Forty-seven percent of the women who voted in the state gubernatorial election three
years ago voted for the governor
D. A governor of a neighboring state recently appointed seven women to high-level
positions
E. The governor appointed tow Black Americans, tow Hispanic Americans, and one Asian American to high-level positions in his administration.

It seems like B to me. The governor had to do assign five women; if that were in his platform, he has no choice regarding that.

A. - who knows why she're resigning, maybe it's for personal reasons, nothing to do with the governor. Maybe after she leaves, he'll nominate another woman...

C. - this only strengthens the conclusion: if women vote for him, they must like him and wouldn't accuse him of being sexist during the following three years

D. - maybe, a long shot - does cast some doubt, but nothing really substantial - after all 5 vs 7 isn't that much of a difference

E. - out of scope, we're not talking about discrimination in general, but specifically about discrimination against women

Searching for an answer...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 09:01
I think it is B. As choice B says that it was not the governor's choice to assign women but he was asked to do so by his political party..In this case, he might as well be indeed sexist towards women ..

None of the other choices sound correct to me..Agree with SmashingGraces's explanations.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 09:19
with the B crowd. nothing else to add.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR governer and women [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 09:48
B is correct
Others either strengthen the arg or are out of scope
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 22:29
no doubtys about B :)

Don't drink and derive!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2004, 05:45
I tend to differ here:

The conclusion is: "This shows government is not sexist".

Now consider (B), "He needs to appoint atleast 5 women". Which means he could have appointed more than five but he only appointed bare minimum, hence he is not sexist. In other words it stregthen the conclusion.

Though I can't argue which other choice fit the bill!!!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2004, 06:15
mba wrote:
I tend to differ here:

The conclusion is: "This shows government is not sexist".

Now consider (B), "He needs to appoint atleast 5 women". Which means he could have appointed more than five but he only appointed bare minimum, hence he is not sexist. In other words it stregthen the conclusion.

Though I can't argue which other choice fit the bill!!!

mba,

The conclusion: "The governor is not sexist"

We need to prove the stem: "The governor is sexist"

He is sexist, if he did just the bare minimum, see?

Searching for an answer...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2004, 02:08
I totally misread the question :oops:

Yeah (B) it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager