Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the 1980s the homicide rate in Britain rose by 50

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
During the 1980s the homicide rate in Britain rose by 50 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2005, 16:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
During the 1980s the homicide rate in Britain rose by 50 percent. The weapon used usually was a knife. Potentially lethal knives are sold openly and legally in many shops. Most homicide deaths occur as a result of unpremeditated assaults within the family. Even if these are increasing, they would probably not result in deaths if it were not for the prevalence of such knives. Thus the blame lies with the permissiveness of the government that allows such lethal weapons to be sold.

Which one of the following is the strongest criticism of the argument above?

(A) There are other means besides knives, such as guns or poison, that can be used to accomplish homicide by a person who intends to cause the death of another.
(B) It is impossible to know how many unpremeditated assaults occur within the family, since many are not reported to the authorities.
(C) Knives are used in other homicides besides those that result from unpremeditated assaults within the family.
(D) The argument assumes without justification that the knives used to commit homicide are generally purchased as part of a deliberate plan to commit murder or to inflict grievous harm on a family member.
(E) If the potentially lethal knives referred to are ordinary household knives, such knives were common before the rise in the homicide rate; but if they are weaponry, such knives are not generally available in households

Cheers, Rahul.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2005, 18:31
E is the best counter to the argument.
If these knives have always beein in use, the recent spike in homicide rate cannot be solely attributed to these knives.
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 09:43
E is best criticism.
A is close but it narrows scope to the intended killings (non unpremeditated assaults)
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 09:48
E as well
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 09:51
E for me too
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Homicide in Britain [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 11:00
Between E and A, I choose E.

E shows us that there must be another reason for the increase because the knives were used before the increase in the rate.

rahulraao wrote:
During the 1980s the homicide rate in Britain rose by 50 percent. The weapon used usually was a knife. Potentially lethal knives are sold openly and legally in many shops. Most homicide deaths occur as a result of unpremeditated assaults within the family. Even if these are increasing, they would probably not result in deaths if it were not for the prevalence of such knives. Thus the blame lies with the permissiveness of the government that allows such lethal weapons to be sold.

Which one of the following is the strongest criticism of the argument above?

(A) There are other means besides knives, such as guns or poison, that can be used to accomplish homicide by a person who intends to cause the death of another.
(B) It is impossible to know how many unpremeditated assaults occur within the family, since many are not reported to the authorities.
(C) Knives are used in other homicides besides those that result from unpremeditated assaults within the family.
(D) The argument assumes without justification that the knives used to commit homicide are generally purchased as part of a deliberate plan to commit murder or to inflict grievous harm on a family member.
(E) If the potentially lethal knives referred to are ordinary household knives, such knives were common before the rise in the homicide rate; but if they are weaponry, such knives are not generally available in households
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2005, 19:43
duttsit wrote:
E is best criticism.
A is close but it narrows scope to the intended killings (non unpremeditated assaults)

Good one! I was stuck between A and E and was not sure why I shoudl choose E over A!

OA is E!

Cheers, Rahul.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 04:51
Rahulraao, could you please post the OE if there is one?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 04:56
Im afraid I dont have an OE for this one. This is from CR-1000

Cheers, Rahul.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Homicide in Britain [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 05:51
Argument: Homicide from lethal knives are up, therefore, if lethal knives weren't readily available, then homicide would decrease.

Assumption: Homicides are only commited with knives.

Flaw: There are other ways to kill someone.

A is correct here.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 08:43
jstalin although your logic is not wrong...it is a scoping issue.
The argument has been scoped with premised that knife is used in most of homocide cases. We should not override this assumption.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 08:58
rahulraao wrote:
Im afraid I dont have an OE for this one. This is from CR-1000

Rahulraao, can you please point me where can I get CR-1000 doc. I got SC-1000 from this site but couldnt get link to CR-1000. TIA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 09:17
I need the CR1000 doc too.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User