Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the Cold War, most overseas travel from the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
During the Cold War, most overseas travel from the United [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 09:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
During the Cold War, most overseas travel from the United States was to places in Western Europe. At that time, because of the war or because of other regional instability, travel to Western Europe was much less risky than travel to other parts of the world. But in recent years this has become less and less the case. Now many other countries are open to travel that are just as safe as Western Europe but are also cheaper and, in most instances, as full of things to do and see. Paradoxically, more people than ever are traveling to Western Europe over these other countries.

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to a resolution of the paradox discussed above?

(A) U.S. travelers feel at least as safe in Western Europe as they would in the other countries.
(B) U.S. travelers recognize the better value of travel to Western Europe.
(C) Many airlines would love to acquire exclusive rights to offer flights to some Western European countries.
(D) At one point in time, it was much more difficult to arrange travel to non-Western European countries.
(E) The governments of Western European countries are very concerned with having Americans travel there, so they sometimes transfer the advertising of their country`s merits to other advertising firms.
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 10:27
E by POE.

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 10:40
E because Western European countries advertise more than the other countries.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 11:44
I think the answer is D. E is out of scope.

hey ya......

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 20:58
I'll take E. It suggests that some Western European countries are promoting their merits through the use of professionals (advertising firms).
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 22:05
E gives a good reason for the paradox.....
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 22:43
I too guessed E, but it is not the OA. Any other guesses??
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 23:08
My answer is D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 23:14
B resolves the problem.

All other choices are either irrelevant or beyond scope.
The passage says that - despite safety and cheap fares, US travellers prefer to avoid these places and stil travel to Europe.

B says that the reason is these travellers recognize the better value.

Cheers, Rahul.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Paradox [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 23:41
...then it's (C).

(C) tends to mean that there are currently few flights to some west european countries and so people will tend to travel less there.

i'll have chosen (E) on matchday.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 03:20
rahulraao wrote:
B resolves the problem.

All other choices are either irrelevant or beyond scope.
The passage says that - despite safety and cheap fares, US travellers prefer to avoid these places and stil travel to Europe.

B says that the reason is these travellers recognize the better value.

I agree.
Should be (B).

"some" is not a good indicator.

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 08:19
my guess is B.

The paradox here is that American used to travel to Western Europe becuase it was safer during the War, but they continue to do so even after the other places are comparitively safer after the war.

B, resolves htis by saying that WE offers better value for travelling (despite other regions being safe)

E goes out of scope .
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 12:05
What is the OA for this one?

hey ya......

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Paradox [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 14:17
I got B.

Altough other countries are just as safe as Western Europe but are also cheaper and, in most instances, as full of things to do and see Western Europe offers the better value hence they travel there.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 19:32
B ain`t the OA either :!: I`ll let you guys dwell on this mindbender for a few more hours before I post the OA/OE after work tonight.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 19:43
B as well.

I think only B can solve the paradox above.
:)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Paradox [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 23:02
Hmm this is a rather hard question, no choice seems to provide a good explanation.

Basically the paradox says that US people used to travel to Europe a lot because other countries are not open. Now that other countries are open, and they are as safe and as valuable (as full of things to do) and even cheaper, why then we see even more people go to Europe?

Why I first read this question, I thought that the explanation was that people from other countries have been visiting Eruope, for the question stem didn't say more US people are visiting Europe. Unfortunetaly this is not one of the explanations.

(A) U.S. travelers feel at least as safe in Western Europe as they would in the other countries.
So both Europe and other countries are safe. Why would they all go to Europe then?

(B) U.S. travelers recognize the better value of travel to Western Europe.
There isn't a "better value" for travelling to Europe, according to the stem. However if this were true ... then it could explain the paradox. But it can't be true hmmm.

(C) Many airlines would love to acquire exclusive rights to offer flights to some Western European countries.
This one is rather interesting. On the surface if they have exclusive rights the airline tickets may have been more expensive, compare to other countries where many airlines are competing. In other words, people should have gone to Europe less often ... But let's keep this one for a little bit ...

(D) At one point in time, it was much more difficult to arrange travel to non-Western European countries.
So now it's easier to travel to non European countries. Why then do more people travel to Europe?

(E) The governments of Western European countries are very concerned with having Americans travel there, so they sometimes transfer the advertising of their country`s merits to other advertising firms.
This one again is curious. I'm not sure why the first part of the sentence would lead to the second part. However if they do let other advertising firms advertise for them, perhaps those firms do this very successfully and that's why people go to Europe more often?

Well, given that B and E are not correct, I would guess C, for A and D seem to me rather incorrect. From C, we could say that they love to get the exclusive right but they may not have gotten it, and so they may actually compete even harder for it, and therefore airline tickets are cheaper so more people go there ... I know it is a little far fetched. :-D

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Current Student

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 09:31
Source: bellcurves.com

OA: A

OE: (Directly from Bellcurves)

Step 1: ID Question Type and Task

The question has a paradox, this indicates that this is a Paradox Question.

Task: Find the seemingly contradictory issue and pose it to yourself in the form of a question.

Step 2: Read the Argument and Extract Necessary Information:

The necessary information is the paradox, identify the paradox and pose it to yourself as a question.

Paradox: Why would more people fly to Western Europe when other destinations are cheaper than and as safe as Western Europe?

Step 3: Formulate an Answer to the Question

Formulate a resolution to the paradox (if possible). There must be another reason why the expected circumstance is not actually what is happening.

Remember, the best answer provides a connection between the two sides of the paradox without changing or discounting either side.

Step 4: Eliminate Answer Choices:

(A) This explains the circumstances because while the other destinations are as safe, travelers feel as safe or safer in Western Europe.

(B) This doesn`t differentiate between the two travel groups.

(C) Doesn`t explain. The desires of the airlines are irrelevant to our discussion.

(D) The previous circumstances are irrelevant to our current circumstances.

(E) Transferring advertising between firms tells us nothing about the other travel destinations.

Step 5: Identify differences in remaining choices

Since A is the only answer choice remaining this is our correct answer.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 20:29
Hmmm I truely don't believe A provides a good explanation to the paradox. The stem says other countries are as safe as Europe. A says Europe are as safe as other countries. This alone cannot explain why people choose not to go to other countries if other countries are cheaper and as valuable (and as safe).

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Paradox [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 22:07
i think B should resolves the parodox.

why american visit most to western europe? becuase they vlaue visiting there and americans are the determiners why they most visit there.
Re: CR Paradox   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2005, 22:07