Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the early years of European settlement on a continent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
During the early years of European settlement on a continent [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 18:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.

(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of
(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue
(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-rescue [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 18:44
jallenmorris wrote:
C.

spriya wrote:
During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.

(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
This seems passive. That may not be the right term for it, but I'm certain it isn't correct. I don't like "were a help in the rescuing" This seems wordy and awkward.
(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of
"this" is a pronoun wihout a clear antecedent.
(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue
the clause modifies "Native Americans". Take it out and you have "Native Americans helped to resuce" That is clear and concise. No verb-tense disagreement and no orphaned pronouns.
(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
The modified noun must come right after the comma for this sentence to make any sense. Because D & E do not have this, neither can be the correct answer.
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

I was concerned with E .Whats wrong with E.And in C moreover with the intimate knowledge made me reject it.That sounded awkward

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-rescue [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:01

When you use the word "knowing", it is almost always used after a noun. Such as, "Allen, knowing he was about to be hit, closed his eyes and screamed like a girl." If we put E into the sentence, we don't find a noun preceeding "knowing intimately". The noun being modified comes after this phrase, which is rather odd. Also, the OP wasn't underlined, so I wasn't exactly sure where the question started and where the questions stopped. Additionally, a plain infinitive like "to rescue" is not often correct on the GMAT. Here the correct form, instead of "Native Americans helped to rescue" would be "Native Americans helped rescue".

I think "knowing" is one of those trigger words that can mark the start of a modfiying phrase, similar to "which".
"The ball, which he filled with air, bounced up and down."
"The doctor, knowing his patient had cancer, hesitated before he told the bad news."

Does this help?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-rescue [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:02
spriya wrote:
I was concerned with E .Whats wrong with E.And in C moreover with the intimate knowledge made me reject it.That sounded awkward

C definitely sounds best. E has an ambiguous modifier.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-rescue [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 23:29
C.

jallenmorris wrote:

When you use the word "knowing", it is almost always used after a noun. Such as, "Allen, knowing he was about to be hit, closed his eyes and screamed like a girl." If we put E into the sentence, we don't find a noun preceeding "knowing intimately". The noun being modified comes after this phrase, which is rather odd. Also, the OP wasn't underlined, so I wasn't exactly sure where the question started and where the questions stopped. Additionally, a plain infinitive like "to rescue" is not often correct on the GMAT. Here the correct form, instead of "Native Americans helped to rescue" would be "Native Americans helped rescue".

I think "knowing" is one of those trigger words that can mark the start of a modfiying phrase, similar to "which".
"The doctor, knowing his patient had cancer, hesitated before he told the bad news."

Does this help?

Just to add to what jallenmorris has explained above.

Knowing can come before the noun it modifies. However only if it is a opening modifier.
Something like this :
knowing his patient had cancer,the doctor hesitated before he told the bad news.

However it cannot come before the noun it modifies in the middle of the sentence. As it does in option E above.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-rescue [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 00:31
Please undirline, because I started to read as a CR question.)))

Yes, answer is C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 438 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-rescue [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:53
"their" in C is ambigous right?
It can refer to newcommers or Nativeamericans????

Am I missing something.

I chose A.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-rescue [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:58
"Native Americans, with their"

their is used so closely (although not right after its antecedent) that it clearly refers to Native Americans. Something else you can do to view this question in a different way is that everything inside the commas is the modifier, and this phrase follows directly after Native Americans, so the entire phrase clearly modifies Native Americans. Since the entire phrase modifies Native Americans, "their" within that phrase does too.

x2suresh wrote:
"their" in C is ambigous right?
It can refer to newcommers or Nativeamericans????

Am I missing something.

I chose A.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-rescue [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 07:55
jallenmorris wrote:

Does this help?

yes this is a great explanation .Thank you.I agree with mamta too.Knowing can come before modifying phrase but only in the starting of a sentence.

As far as A is concerned passive is always a second choice in GMAT moreover in the rescue is also not good.

OA is (C)

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: SC-rescue   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2008, 07:55