Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the Great Depression, Roosevelt's New Deal expanded

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 20

During the Great Depression, Roosevelt's New Deal expanded [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 12:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:26) correct 36% (01:12) wrong based on 88 sessions
During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded federal authority by creating several new government agencies designed to provide and administer relief to the country, which had been devastated by the 1929 stock market crash. Many agencies created under the New Deal were discontinued in subsequent decades, however, when policymakers grew uncomfortable with the amount of power wielded by the federal government. Additionally, a large number of economists at the time felt the market had recovered to the point that federal regulation had become more a hindrance to than a provider of economic stability.

The economists’ support of the discontinuation of New Deal programs rests on which of the following assumptions about the role of the federal government in the market?

A) Interference by federal government in the market can never create economic stability.
B) Federal regulation of the market is an emergency measure and, as such, should be temporary.
C) Agencies created under the New Deal routinely exercised control beyond what was stated in their charters.
D) Policymakers who discontinued New Deal programs were not the same policymakers who originally implemented them.
E) New Deal programs designed to provide economic relief actually perpetuated market instability.

GMAT Club Test: V04- 29
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by agdimple333 on 09 Jul 2011, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 116 [2] , given: 13

Re: Economic stability - Assumption [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
I go with B on this one ..
Most important clue is 'economists at the time felt the market had recovered to the point'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Economic stability - Assumption [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 10:23
B for me as well...it's the only option that is logically presents the relationship between the view of the economists and the role of the federal government.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 22

Re: Economic stability - Assumption [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 02:04
Why do you guys reject C?
Sorry, i think B seems best option but i cannot find any reason to reject C.
Author is assuming that "Agencies created under the New Deal routinely exercised control beyond what was stated in their charters." and that is the reason agencies became hindrance rather than a provider of economic stability.

Correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks.

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 13

Re: Economic stability - Assumption [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 08:43
jamifahad wrote:
Why do you guys reject C?
Sorry, i think B seems best option but i cannot find any reason to reject C.
Author is assuming that "Agencies created under the New Deal routinely exercised control beyond what was stated in their charters." and that is the reason agencies became hindrance rather than a provider of economic stability.

Correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks.

how do we know what is stated in their chapters?
may be thats how their chapters are written , and they are perfectly within the scope of their chapters
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Economic stability - Assumption [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 11:44
Simple answer: B. Economists think that the federal govt should intervene only as required and stay out if the economy is ok.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 19

Reviews Badge
Re: Economic stability - Assumption [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 22:43
This post received
KUDOS
good one. I chose A. B seems clear now. A uses strong wording and I was inclined to reject it but between B and A picked A.

Looking for Kudos :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 4

Re: Economic stability - Assumption [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 07:35
agdimple333 wrote:
During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded federal authority by creating several new government agencies designed to provide and administer relief to the country, which had been devastated by the 1929 stock market crash. Many agencies created under the New Deal were discontinued in subsequent decades, however, when policymakers grew uncomfortable with the amount of power wielded by the federal government. Additionally, a large number of economists at the time felt the market had recovered to the point that federal regulation had become more a hindrance to than a provider of economic stability.

The economists’ support of the discontinuation of New Deal programs rests on which of the following assumptions about the role of the federal government in the market?

A) Interference by federal government in the market can never create economic stability.
B) Federal regulation of the market is an emergency measure and, as such, should be temporary.
C) Agencies created under the New Deal routinely exercised control beyond what was stated in their charters.
D) Policymakers who discontinued New Deal programs were not the same policymakers who originally implemented them.
E) New Deal programs designed to provide economic relief actually perpetuated market instability.

A) is wrong because it overbroad. Look for words like NEVER, ALWAYS, etc. These are probably going to be overbroad.
C) is incorrect because we have no idea what is in their charters
D) is incorrect because this is not an assumption that the economists' conclusion rests upon. Who cares if they aren't the same?
E) is incorrected because the stimulus refutes it. The economists actually acknowledge that there was recovery, not a perpetuation of instability.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
During the Great Depression, Roosevelt s New Deal expanded [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 20:16

(a) Interference by federal government in the market can never create economic stability.
(B) Federal regulation of the market is an emergency measure and, as such, should be temporary.
(C) Agencies created under the New Deal routinely exercised control beyond what was stated in their charters.
(D) Policymakers who discontinued New Deal programs were not the same policymakers who originally implemented them.
(E) New Deal programs designed to provide economic relief actually perpetuated market instability.

OA later some discussion

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: During the Great Depression, Roosevelt s New Deal expanded [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 10:22
agdimple333 wrote:

Make this one easy by keying in on the boldface text I've created above. C,D,E can be easily eliminated because they don't deal with the (general) role of the federal government in the market. So we're left with A and B. Throw out A because clearly economists didn't think federal intervention could *never* create stability since the article states they felt intervention *had become* a hindrance (i.e. previously intervention had not been a hindrance).

Therefore B.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 09:40
I go for B.
In the question stem it says that the economy had recovered enough and now the regulation is a hinderence. So economists thought it worked and is now causing issues.

Option B best reflects the temporary view of the economists

C is out of scope
E actually caught my eye at first but if that was the case the economy may not have recovered and economists may have seen it as a hindernce before.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 07:37
3 guys correct and 3 guys incorrect.

Can anyone explain more on this question? This is tough one deserved to bring out of light :D.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 11:23
A good way to answer this is to negate the answers. If the conclusion cannot hold true with the negated answer then that is the correct answer.

The two most common answers were C and B

(B) Federal regulation of the market is an emergency measure and, as such, should be temporary.
---(Negate) cannot be temporary. If they cannot be temporary then the agencies cannot be discontinued. This is the answer.
(C) Agencies created under the New Deal routinely exercised control beyond what was stated in their charters.
----(negate) rarely / did not exercise control beyond what was states in their charters. If they did not go beyond their charters then The discontinued agencies would still be there.

Let me know what your opinion is on how i answered the question. I am still rusty on answering CR questions.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 00:58
Hope this makes sense,

(a) Interference by federal government in the market can never create economic stability.
-- very strong. Avoid strong word as 'never'

--federal reg. came in when there was crisis and people want them out when no crisis. Hence
correct

-- this is not stated. Nothing abt exercising control mentioned.

(D) Policymakers who discontinued New Deal programs were not the same policymakers who originally implemented them.
-- way out. out of scope

(E) New Deal programs designed to provide economic relief actually perpetuated market instability.
-- discussion is about the power and distribution. the new deal actually made the market stable.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: During the Great Depression, Roosevelt s New Deal expanded [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:55
B it is.If the economy becomes stable then the federal agencies and their powers should be withdrawn as they will only prove themselves an hindrance as compared to an business booster.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

17) During the Great Depression, Roosevelt s New Deal [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 19:00
17) During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded federal authority by creating several new government agencies designed to provide and administer relief to the country, which had been devastated by the 1929 stock market crash. Many agencies created under the New Deal were discontinued in subsequent decades, however, when policymakers grew uncomfortable with the amount of power wielded by the federal government. Additionally, a large number of economists at the time felt the market had recovered to the point that federal regulation had become more a hindrance to than a provider of economic stability.

Please discuss.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 20:40
at the time of need federal regulation's help was good , temporarily but later when the need was not required then it could have been stopped.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 20:51
nirakrish wrote:
17) During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded federal authority by creating several new government agencies designed to provide and administer relief to the country, which had been devastated by the 1929 stock market crash. Many agencies created under the New Deal were discontinued in subsequent decades, however, when policymakers grew uncomfortable with the amount of power wielded by the federal government. Additionally, a large number of economists at the time felt the market had recovered to the point that federal regulation had become more a hindrance to than a provider of economic stability.

Please discuss.

I was about to choose option E until I reread the question stem.

This is a weird assumption stem because it asks for a specific assumption. The question is asking for an assumption based on the economists POV. The premise is stating that congress was growing uncomfortable with the regulations that have not been dismantled, and Congress wants the government to have less control.

The economists statement is what the question is asking us to draw an assumption from. Their view is that to much regulation could impede the country's ability to grow on its own. Answer choice B is basically saying that the regulations worked during troubled times, but is a hindrance to economic growth during times of prosperity.

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 3

Re: V04- 29 : During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s N [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 06:46
The Question in the passage is about what economists.
The most important point to note here is what economist felt.
So the key line is: economists at the time felt the market had recovered to the point…

Now look at the choices and eliminate the wrong choices:
During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal expanded federal authority by creating several new government agencies designed to provide and administer relief to the country, which had been devastated by the
-- This is nowhere said or meant by the economists.

Correct! This is correct as it indicates what economist means when they said that At this point market has recovered to a point.
- -Not relevant as not related to provided economist thinking in anyway.

The Kudo please :)

Expert Post
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2608 [0], given: 696

Re: V04- 29 : During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s N [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 13:57
Expert's post
Well from a standpoint that adheres to reality B is not always true.

But, considering that this is gmatland and the argument must be taken as such, B is correct.

I will pick it wrong, for sure during the test if I think like an aconomist due to my degree :( :wall:

Good stuff rock ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Re: V04- 29 : During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s N   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2013, 13:57