Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the industrial revolution, most of the government sti

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
During the industrial revolution, most of the government sti [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 22:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (02:12) correct 41% (01:37) wrong based on 46 sessions
During the industrial revolution, most of the government stimulus money was spent on mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry large pieces of machinery across the country.

A. mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry
B. mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and when they built the infrastructure needed to carry
C. mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery as well as on building of the infrastructure needed to carry
D. the need to build heavy machinery that required mining of industrial metals and the building of infrastructure that was needed for carrying
E. mining industrial metals that were needed for building of heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure that was needed for carrying of

I choose
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
as the answer to make the following phrases parallel:
1. mining industrial metals that.....
2. building the infrastructure that....

But this choice is incorrect. Can please someone help with the query? Thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please Kudos if you found my post useful

My Debrief: 760-q50-v44-3-months-of-prep-and-advice-162812.html#p1289527

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V31
GRE 1: 321 Q161 V160
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 115

Re: During the industrial revolution, most of the government sti [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 22:32
This post received
KUDOS
yuvrajsub wrote:
During the industrial revolution, most of the government stimulus money was spent on mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry large pieces of machinery across the country.

A. mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry
B. mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and when they built the infrastructure needed to carry
C. mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery as well as on building of the infrastructure needed to carry
D. the need to build heavy machinery that required mining of industrial metals and the building of infrastructure that was needed for carrying
E. mining industrial metals that were needed for building of heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure that was needed for carrying of

Assuming you are stuck between A and E.. and have eliminated BCE on strong reasons...

In (E) mining and building are certainly parallel but the problem is the clause following both these nouns...usually when we say we need something, we follow the action (secondary verb, here build and carry, remember the primary verb of the clause is 'were needed' and 'needed') with an infinitive 'to' and not 'for', thats the correct idiom...moreover the last part of the sentence is really awkward when you combine the underlined and rest of the sentence....'....that was needed for carrying of large pieces of machinery across the country'

does it help?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: During the industrial revolution, most of the government sti [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 22:43
Thanks a lot Akhil. It does. I didn't look at it from the idioms standpoint.

Please Kudos if you found my post useful

My Debrief: 760-q50-v44-3-months-of-prep-and-advice-162812.html#p1289527

Re: During the industrial revolution, most of the government sti   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2013, 22:43