Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the last season, the Tigers won 64% of all their

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

During the last season, the Tigers won 64% of all their [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 11:10
During the last season, the Tigers won 64% of all their games. How many games did the Tigers play that season?

1) Tigers won 80 games that season

2) Tigers won 56% of their first 3x games and 76% of their remaining 2x games, where x is an interger and x >24.

Statement 1 is sufficient. .64T = 80

Statement 2 I thought is sufficient as well. I setup the following formula:
56%(3x) + 76%(2x) = 64%(3x+ 2x)

after i set this up, i figured i could solve for x. I got it wrong. can someone tell me why statement 2 is not sufficient then?

thanks
Minhthe

ps. The answer is "A"
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 38
Location: Boston
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Winning Games [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 12:44
minhthel wrote:
Statement 2 I thought is sufficient as well. I setup the following formula:
56%(3x) + 76%(2x) = 64%(3x+ 2x)

after i set this up, i figured i could solve for x. I got it wrong. can someone tell me why statement 2 is not sufficient then?



This gives, 320x = 320x, which holds true for all values of x, and therefore is not sufficient enough to say what value x takes.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 214
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Winning Games [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 12:50
minhthel wrote:
During the last season, the Tigers won 64% of all their games. How many games did the Tigers play that season?

1) Tigers won 80 games that season

2) Tigers won 56% of their first 3x games and 76% of their remaining 2x games, where x is an interger and x >24.

Statement 1 is sufficient. .64T = 80

Statement 2 I thought is sufficient as well. I setup the following formula:
56%(3x) + 76%(2x) = 64%(3x+ 2x)

after i set this up, i figured i could solve for x. I got it wrong. can someone tell me why statement 2 is not sufficient then?

thanks
Minhthe

ps. The answer is "A"


Not 100% sure, we can't solve for X. X could be any # because the proportion would always be 2 to 3?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 403
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Winning Games [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 12:58
minhthel wrote:
During the last season, the Tigers won 64% of all their games. How many games did the Tigers play that season?

1) Tigers won 80 games that season

2) Tigers won 56% of their first 3x games and 76% of their remaining 2x games, where x is an interger and x >24.

ps. The answer is "A"

if the question is correctly typed, then the ans is E.
St 1 insuff: It doesn't give us any info about total # of games
St 2: to which season is it related - last or that?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 158
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 14:02
Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Statement I 0.64 T= 80 which is gives T=80/0.64- SUFFICIENT
Statement II:
0.56(3x) + 0.76(2x) = 80 we can solve for x and the total number of games is 5x..
so ans is D.
Can we get the OA and OE please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 403
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 21:55
vij101 wrote:
Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Statement I 0.64 T= 80 which is gives T=80/0.64- SUFFICIENT
Statement II:
0.56(3x) + 0.76(2x) = 80 we can solve for x and the total number of games is 5x..
so ans is D.
Can we get the OA and OE please

if I correctly understood the question, there are 2 different seasons: LAST season and THAT season.
correct me if i'm wrong
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 22:03
A.

1) 64/100 * Total = 80
Total = 125

2) X can be anything. Hence it is not sufficient to deduce one answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 158
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2006, 05:38
jaynayak wrote:
A.

1) 64/100 * Total = 80
Total = 125

2) X can be anything. Hence it is not sufficient to deduce one answer.


Can you please explain this more. thanks
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 158
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2006, 11:17
vij101 wrote:
jaynayak wrote:
A.

1) 64/100 * Total = 80
Total = 125

2) X can be anything. Hence it is not sufficient to deduce one answer.


Can you please explain this more. thanks


Sorry guys, i agree the answer is A. I made the classical mistake of taking statement I into consideration while analyzing statement II.
  [#permalink] 20 Jul 2006, 11:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Out of this season's obsession with all mayur666 6 19 Sep 2013, 07:35
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic During a certain season, a team won 80 percent of its first Walkabout 1 20 Dec 2012, 07:20
1 Productivity % during application season pguard 26 13 Jan 2009, 13:21
During a certain season, a team won 80% of its first 100 700dreamer 2 08 Jul 2007, 17:23
Done with all apps this season!! gmatmba 5 06 Jan 2007, 09:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

During the last season, the Tigers won 64% of all their

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.