Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 09:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the past decade, the labor market in France has not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
During the past decade, the labor market in France has not [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 02:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
During the past decade, the labor market in France has not been operating according to free market principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers.

A) principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers
B) principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers
C) principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing
D) principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled
E) principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

Last edited by karlfurt on 07 Dec 2006, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 12:55
I vote E. Adding the semi colon does not change the context and meaning, it makes the statement more manageable and concise. B is too long and does not seem to flow very well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 18:15
OA is E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 03:48
During the past decade, the labor market in France has not been operating according to free market principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers.

A)principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

B)principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers

C)principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing

D)principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled

E)principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

It is E

"Restrict" and "has been" functioning is not parallel in B. Also, we need a semicolon to avoid run-on
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 10:23
zaarathelab wrote:

A)principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

B)principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers

C)principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing

D)principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled

E)principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

It is E

"Restrict" and "has been" functioning is not parallel in B. Also, we need a semicolon to avoid run-on

I think there is another point to note: "government regulations " doest not restrict "hiring and firing" but promulgation of it doest restrict "hiring anf firing" so E is correct as E is using "restricting"

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
During the past decade, the labor market in France has not [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 11:22
During the past decade, the labor market in France has not been operating according to free market principles,but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers.

a) principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers
b) principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers
c) principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing
d) principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled
e) principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 11:38
IMO E

a) principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers - modifier error
b) principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers - Wordy
c) principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing - Wordy and awkward
d) principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled - where is there?
e) principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers - Correct, conveys the meaning in the most clear and correct way. both the parts before and after the semicolon can stand on their own.

What's the OA?

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 11:57
rafi wrote:
IMO E

b) principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers - Wordy
e) principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers - Correct, conveys the meaning in the most clear and correct way. both the parts before and after the semicolon can stand on their own.

What's the OA?

Is it correct to use "its" in independent clause introduced by semicolon (;)?
It refers to subject of previous clause.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
Orange08 wrote:

Is it correct to use "its" in independent clause introduced by semicolon (;)?
It refers to subject of previous clause.

I am quite certain that it is. I'll explain why with examples from MGMAT SC:
Wrong: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; doing everything together.
The second part can not stand on its own so this is not a right use of the semicolon.
Right: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; they do everything together.
This is one way to correct the sentence above. Each part can stand on his own.
The use of they here is very similar to the use of its in your question.

Hope it helps..

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 06:53
rafi wrote:
IMO E

a) principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers - modifier error
c) principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing - Wordy and awkward
d) principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled - where is there?

What's the OA?

Hi,
In choice E

;instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

Is this part after ; will be called independent even if it is using Its as a pronoun which we can't say to what it is referring to.

Please explain...
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
utin wrote:
rafi wrote:
IMO E

What's the OA?

Hi,
In choice E

;instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

Is this part after ; will be called independent even if it is using Its as a pronoun which we can't say to what it is referring to.

Please explain...

the part after ; functions as a clause with a subject and a verb even if that clause has a pronoun it is grammatically right usage.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 06:32
I see that people have rejected option [B] as wordy but I think in terms of parallelism no other option can beat B.

"has not been operating" parallel portions "has been functioning"

I think parallelism should take precedence over wordiness. Any comments.

-AD

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 251

Kudos [?]: 1378 [0], given: 245

Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 11:41
Expert's post
@ Arundas, IMO, B is to be rejected not because it is wordy, but because it has a fatal, punctuation error. We can not separate two independent but related clauses with just a comma. Either a semicolon with a non-capitalized first word has to be in place or a period with a new sentence has to be created.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 5

Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 02:32
rafi wrote:
IMO E

What's the OA?

I think the answer is B and not E.
E is incorrect because: The statement after the semicolon should be an Independent sentence. However in E, the statement after the semicolon begins with 'Instead' which is a connecting word making it a Subordinator and since there is no Main clause to support the Subordinator the second part becomes a Fragment( not a complete sentence ).

B maintains paralellism and though wordy is unambigious and hence correct.

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 251

Kudos [?]: 1378 [0], given: 245

Re: Labor market in France [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 23:15
Expert's post

Between Choices B and E

e) principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers –

IMO, -instead - is not a subordinate conjunction. It is an adverbial conjunction that is used to bring out the transition of something from the original idea, just as a co-ordinate conjunction – but- would do. In comparison, words such as - although, while and even as - are subordinate conjunctions, still contrasting the two sides of sentence.

Secondly a fragment is in effect a collection or a jumble of words, essentially without a verb. But the second part of the sentence has a rock solid passive voice verb- has been stifled.-

But the biggest problem in B is the ungrammatical joining of two independent clauses by a mere comma, a serious style error

So E

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 09:39
(A) principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers --- but and instead are redundant
(B) principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers -- correct
(C) principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing –- “being” statements are generally avoided in GMAT unless the non underlines part indicates that the sentence is in passive voice.
(D) principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled -- “being” statements are generally avoided in GMAT unless the non underlines part indicates that the sentence is in passive voice.
(E) principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers --- “instead” is placed after semicolon. "Instead" seems unnecessary after semicolon.

So my Option is B.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 99 [4] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
I vaguely remember reading somewhere something like:
1). "Instead is used for a replacement", eg. "I'd ask my sister's friend, instead of my friend's sister, out for a date".
2). "Rather is used for a change of action/plan", eg. "I'd rather date my girlfriend than do my homework".

If indeed this be true, arent all of the options shady? Or have I got it all wrong?

PS: Please excuse the examples if they sound true-ish, they have helped me get the rule :)

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
First, I thought there is nothing wrong with B, but then I realized B is a run-on sentence. Here, instead is not the right conjugation to connect two full independent sentences, but "but" is. E is my choice.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Indian Schools Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 16:44
(A) "But" is a coordinating conjuction. After "but", another independent clause should exist. However, subject is missing. Sentence structure error.
(B) Run on sentence. Sentence structure and style error.
(C) "being"
(D) Many errors. "there" pronoun error; Run on sentence error; Passive voice; "Being"

----------------------------------------------
My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

If you like my post, Kudos me.

Don't forget to visit me - http://mbaido.wordpress.com/

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 17:39
This post received
KUDOS
B- Changes meaning.

E- The available best option

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 364 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-700 Level [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 19:03
This post received
KUDOS
i believe semicolon wins over comma in gmat. so my hunch is E. I like "being" which eliminate D and C. B has ambiguous "it".

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Re: SC-700 Level   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2010, 19:03