Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1905 [157]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Magoosh
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [30]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [25]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
was made possible demands a by
Hence we can narrow it between B & C
and also is wrong and hence B
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure [#permalink]
Kudos
margarette wrote:
The answer choices for this question are all very similar in terms of pure meaning: [causal conjunction] Einstein's theory of relativity and (also)

In cases like this, where there seem to be "too many right answers", look for the simplest way to package what every answer says. Being concise is key. The simplest way isn't always the shortest, but look for complete, accurate meaning with the simplest, most direct syntax and structure.

Lastly, two smaller tip-offs that signal the right answer and might be helpful if you're stuck between choosing between two:
1. "made possible by" is slightly more idomatically common and natural than "made possible as a result of" or "made possible because of".
2. If you take a step back and look at the whole sentence, the emphasis is on the evolution from theoretical to practical, so NOT ONLY Einstein's theory, but the more practical "ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects" as well, so emphasizing the two by using the word "both" prominently before the conjoined noun phrases.

Hope that helps! :)

"Made possible by" is idiom, isn't it? or we choose based on the most shortest version?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: operations
Schools:NUS
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="margarette"]The answer choices for this question are all very similar in terms of pure meaning: [causal conjunction] Einstein's theory of relativity and (also)

In cases like this, where there seem to be "too many right answers", look for the simplest way to package what every answer says. Being concise is key. The simplest way isn't always the shortest, but look for complete, accurate meaning with the simplest, most direct syntax and structure.

Lastly, two smaller tip-offs that signal the right answer and might be helpful if you're stuck between choosing between two:
1. "made possible by" is slightly more idomatically common and natural than "made possible as a result of" or "made possible because of".
2. If you take a step back and look at the whole sentence, the emphasis is on the evolution from theoretical to practical, so NOT ONLY Einstein's theory, but the more practical "ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects" as well, so emphasizing the two by using the word "both" prominently before the conjoined noun phrases.

is" made possible by" only flaw in the option D or and also is also incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
I ignored option (C) and (D) becasue of expression "and also".

MGMAT SC puts expression "and also" in SUSPECT category(pg 161). Can someone suggest is it fair to ignore "and also"?

Cheers!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Magoosh
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [7]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tuanquang269 wrote:

"Made possible by" is idiom, isn't it? or we choose based on the most shortest version?

For "made possible", "by" would be the best, idiomatically, but I would avoid relying solely on memorization of idiomatic phrasing to choose an answer, and use it more as a last test. Basically, any formulaic or ironclad strategies such as if X then answer is Y, especially when it comes to Verbal, are tricky (but that's another discussion!).

alex39 wrote:

is "made possible by" only flaw in the option D or and also is also incorrect?

The "because of" is certainly a detractor, as is the lack of emphasis on the conjunction (having "and also" at the end), but the overall wording of that answer choice ("because of Einstein's theory of relativity and also") is unwieldy.

Capricorn369 wrote:
I ignored option (C) and (D) becasue of expression "and also".

MGMAT SC puts expression "and also" in SUSPECT category(pg 161). Can someone suggest is it fair to ignore "and also"?

Cheers!

"And also" may seem a little redundant, since you're basically saying the same thing twice ("and" conjoins and "also" introduces an addition) but I wouldn't put a blanket ban on it, since there are some cases where it could be used effectively. For this particular question, "and also" is incorrect because when you say "Einstein's theory of relativity AND ALSO better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects", it seems to subordinate the second practical example (as if you said "I like apples and also oranges", it seems as if you liked apples a bit more, right?), which we don't want to do, because the prompt says studies have "evolved from the theoretical to the practical". Using the word "both" eliminates this risk.

Feel free to let me know if you guys want me to clarify anything, I'd be happy to help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
two idioms: "made possible by" and "both X and Y."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Bookmarks
gmatopoeia wrote:
Quote:
During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure of the universe evolved from the theoretical to the practical; the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.

A) because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and

B) by both Einstein's theory of relativity and

C) by Einstein's theory of relativity and also

D) because of Einstein's theory of relativity and also

E) as a result of both Einstein's theory of relativity and

Answer: B
Idiom - 'made possible by [something]' and never 'made possible because...' ---> eliminates A, D and E

Essentially, the statement is saying, "field of physical cosmology is made possible by Einstein's theory of relativity; field of physical cosmology is made possible by the better ability to observe [farther]...'. So, for concision's sake, we say 'made possible by both [X] and [Y]'.
This can also be rewritten as 'Both [X] and [Y] made [Z] possible' ---> hence, B is correct.

i got it wrong. i picked A here. anyway nice explanation. another idiom is included in my list. "made possible by X and Y ....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [5]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This sentence uses the Passive Voice and in such sentences "because of" and "by" must follow the structures below:

Action because of cause/reason for the action
Action by agent of the action

Now if we look at the sentence
the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.

Einstein's theory of relativity does not (automatically) cause the field of physical cosmology.
The theory is just an agent (means), not a reason, by which the field is made possible. Hence the structure Action by agent of the action is more appropriate here.

Same logic applies to the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.

Only options B & C have the correct structure. In C "and also" is redundant, hence B is the best option.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4585 [5]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Kudos