Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 23:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:47) correct 42% (00:50) wrong based on 53 sessions
During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water and to apply eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts like a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus.

A) to apply eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts like a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus

B) applying eucalyptus oil, which acts as a growth inhibitor on the nose, allowing the body time to build antibodies and to fight the virus

C) applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts as a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus

D) to apply eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acting like a growth inhibitor allows the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus

E) applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acting like a growth inhibitor allowing the body time for building antibodies fighting the virus
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 11

Re: Ayurveda [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 23:14
Should be 'applying' and not 'to apply' to maintain parallelism. That rules out A and D. In E, 'acting like a growth inhibitor allowing the body time' is grammatically incorrect.

Between B and C, choose C because building antibodies and fighting the virus are not separate but the former leads to the latter.

C it is.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Ayurveda [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 07:59
In option C, what does 'which' modify ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Ayurveda [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 11:15
dipzz wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. The only reason B could be winning is the style in which it is constructed.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 816 [2] , given: 82

Re: Ayurveda [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dipzz wrote:

Hi Dipzz,

In option C "which" modifies "eucalyptus oil". The rule says that noun modifiers should touch the nouns they modify, but there is an exception to that rule. If a phrase (usually a prepositional prepositional phrase), which is critical to the meaning of the sentence and can not be placed else where in the sentence without changing the meaning of the sentence, then it can come in between the noun and the modifier modifying it.

in the given sentence we can not place the phrase "on the nose" elsewhere in the sentence without changing the meaning. So, this prepositional phrase is critical to the meaning of the sentence. Therefore, the usage is correct and "which" is correctly modifying "eucalyptus oil".

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 44

Re: Ayurveda [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 19:22
Vercules wrote:
dipzz wrote:

Hi Dipzz,

In option C "which" modifies "eucalyptus oil". The rule says that noun modifiers should touch the nouns they modify, but there is an exception to that rule. If a phrase (usually a prepositional prepositional phrase), which is critical to the meaning of the sentence and can not be placed else where in the sentence without changing the meaning of the sentence, then it can come in between the noun and the modifier modifying it.

in the given sentence we can not place the phrase "on the nose" elsewhere in the sentence without changing the meaning. So, this prepositional phrase is critical to the meaning of the sentence. Therefore, the usage is correct and "which" is correctly modifying "eucalyptus oil".

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Ya i agree with u dude...
I have two doubts

1. I have doubt on Parallelism if i go with C ?
I replaced C for underlined part

During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water and applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts as a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus

Here drinking .... & applying .... are parallel.
But applying has a prepositional phrase "on the nose" whereas drinking do not ?

If i chose B both are parallel.

2. All over, "suggests" is a subjective verb, which needs plural form verb. Is it true here?

Pls help me in this !

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q V0
GMAT 2: 600 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 690 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 22:49
Another point to choose C over B is the use of AND in the bold phrases shown below.

B) applying eucalyptus oil, which acts as a growth inhibitor on the nose, allowing the body time to build antibodies and to fight the virus

C) applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts as a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus

Antibodies fight the virus. Not the body time fights the virus
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 816 [0], given: 82

Re: Ayurveda [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 00:06
Expert's post
shanmugamgsn wrote:
Vercules wrote:
dipzz wrote:

Hi Dipzz,

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Ya i agree with u dude...
I have two doubts

1. I have doubt on Parallelism if i go with C ?
I replaced C for underlined part

During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water and applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts as a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus

Here drinking .... & applying .... are parallel.
But applying has a prepositional phrase "on the nose" whereas drinking do not ?

If i chose B both are parallel.

2. All over, "suggests" is a subjective verb, which needs plural form verb. Is it true here?

Pls help me in this !

Hi shanmugamgsn,

1) Word by word parallelism is not necessary for a sentence to be correct. The logic always take precedence over grammar. The prepositional phrase "on the nose" is not actually damaging the parallel structure.

lets see B

During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water and applying eucalyptus oil, which acts as a growth inhibitor on the nose, allowing the body time to build antibodies and to fight the virus

The meaning of the sentence is changed. It now says that "on the nose" eucalyptus oil is acting as a growth inhibitor. But, eucalyptus oil acts as a growth inhibitor in general and not just on the nose. By changing the placement of prepositional phrase we have distorted the meaning and logic of the sentence.

Yes the situation is tricky but you have just make a note of it.

As a rule you can remember,

if you have "A + preposition + B, which..."
then:
--> if B works well (in terms of both grammar, common sense and the intended meaning of the sentence) as the antecedent of "which", then "which" should stand for B.
--> if B doesn't work as the antecedent, but "A + preposition + B" DOES work, then "which" can stand for "A (+ prep + B)"

The example in this post comes under the second category.

As an example in which "logic trumps the apparent parallelism" see my post below:

studies-of-performance-reports-show-new-question-147279.html

Quote:

Yes, "suggests" is the main verb of the sentence, but its subject is not plural, it is singular "Ayurveda". The phrase "During winters to stop the spread of flu" is the modifier in the sentence. This modifier also requires a subject of the clause which it is modifying. Moreover, "suggests" is in the non-underlined part of the sentence, and non-underlined parts are always correct.

I hope it clarifies your doubts,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Re: Ayurveda   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2013, 00:06