Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 05:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

e 25.B 24. A recent study has found that within the past few

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

e 25.B 24. A recent study has found that within the past few [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 22:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:46) correct 13% (00:44) wrong based on 78 sessions
[Reveal] Spoiler:
24. e 25.B

24. A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.
(A) had elected early retirement rather than face
(B) had elected early retirement instead of facing
(C) have elected retiring early instead of facing
(D) have elected to retire early rather than facing
(E) have elected to retire early rather than face

Fight between A and E... can anyone clarify....???
25. A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.
(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and
I choose D...plz clarify your choice???
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1189

Kudos [?]: 3174 [2] , given: 178

Re: sc DOUBTS PLZ EXPLAIN [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:

1) When do we know that 'to' and be understood and can be omitted?
I eliminated E because I thought 2 structures are not parallel because you dont have a 'to' before face

2) What is wrong with C :shock:
retiring and facing are parallel.

Hi Sachin,

Whenever we have a list, the common items in the first entity of the list may not be repeated before all the entities in the list. OG questions are inundated with such parallel construction. For example the first question of OGV2:

Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in which a few individuals reproduce and the rest serve the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or battling intruders.

This is the sentence with correct answer choice E. Notice the entities in the sub-list. Termites serve the colony by:
a. tending juveniles,
b. gathering food,
c. building the nest, or
d. battling intruders.

In the sentence, only the first entity is preceded by “by”. It is understood before other entities. This is a very common structure. Here comes the need to identify the correct entities that are intended to make the correct intended parallel list. Try out this official question:

The computer software being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education will not only meet the needs of that study, but also has the versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.

(A) but also has the versatility and power of facilitating
(B) but also have the versatility and power to facilitate
C) but it also has the versatility and power to facilitate
(D) and also have the versatility and power of facilitating
(E) and it also has such versatility and power that it can facilitate

Now let’s analyze, why choice C is incorrect.

C) have elected retiring early instead of facing: Notice the use of “elected” here. The way it has been used in this choice and the original sentence as well, it seems to suggest that the doctors have cast their votes for an entity named “retiring” instead of another entity “facing”. This is the incorrect use of the word. The intended meaning is that they have elected to – chose to – do one thing rather than the other. This incorrect use of “elected” makes this choice incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc DOUBTS PLZ EXPLAIN [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 00:32
This post received
KUDOS
24. A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.
[using past perfect is not correct as the first part of a sentence uses present perfect, which implies that the action should have connection with present; early retirement-noun and face-verb are not parallel]
(E) have elected to retire early rather than face [correct]

25. A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.
(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
[pronoun reference is not correct-here that refers to a meteriote impact. In fact the cause of extinction of the dinosaurs... are forest fires ]
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact [correct]
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that [I think it's not clear to what 'that' refers here]
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1189

Kudos [?]: 3174 [1] , given: 178

Re: sc DOUBTS PLZ EXPLAIN [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cyberjadugar wrote:
Hi,

I am confused between (D) & (E), could anyone please explain?

Regards,

Hi there,

This is the sentence with choice D:

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors have elected to retire early rather than facing the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

The original sentence means that according to a recent study, in the last few years many doctors have chosen to do X rather than Y. Here, X and Y should be parallel. Per this choice (D),
X = to retire early
Y = facing the threats of…
These two entities are not parallel because X is “to verb” while Y is written in verb-ing form. Hence, we have parallelism error in this sentence.

Choice E corrects this error. This is the sentence with choice E:

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors have elected to retire early rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

X = to retire early
Y = (to) face the threats of…
The two entities are parallel here, and hence choice E is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc DOUBTS PLZ EXPLAIN [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 23:18

E would be the right answer because of correct use of verb tense.
Sentences which describe an event that has happened in near past will almost invariably tend to use present perfect. ( recently in this case)

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: sc DOUBTS PLZ EXPLAIN [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 19:45
Maulikgmat wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
24. e 25.B

Hi,

Regards,

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: e 25.B 24. A recent study has found that within the past few [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 06:07
@Maulikgmat, could you please ensure that the relevant parts in SC questions are underlined, so that you can get prompt and accurate replies ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc DOUBTS PLZ EXPLAIN [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 02:54
egmat wrote:
cyberjadugar wrote:
Hi,

Regards,

Hi there,

This is the sentence with choice D:

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors have elected to retire early rather than facing the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

The original sentence means that according to a recent study, in the last few years many doctors have chosen to do X rather than Y. Here, X and Y should be parallel. Per this choice (D),
X = to retire early
Y = facing the threats of…
These two entities are not parallel because X is “to verb” while Y is written in verb-ing form. Hence, we have parallelism error in this sentence.

Choice E corrects this error. This is the sentence with choice E:

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors have elected to retire early rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

X = to retire early
The two entities are parallel here, and hence choice E is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,
Again, a great post of yours.. I, however, have 2 doubts:

1)

When do we know that 'to' and be understood and can be omitted?
I eliminated E because I thought 2 structures are not parallel because you dont have a 'to' before face

Kindly help..

Regards,
Sachin

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 44

Re: e 25.B 24. A recent study has found that within the past few [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 19:56
I agree with 24 OA...

But i have doubt with 25 ????

(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that --- too many that distrots meaning
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that

i could eliminate only C easily..
But i need some one to comment on E ???

OA B is in passive construction, but E is in active.
So why dont we prefer E ?
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc DOUBTS PLZ EXPLAIN [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 05:52
egmat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

1) When do we know that 'to' and be understood and can be omitted?

Now let’s analyze, why choice C is incorrect.

C) have elected retiring early instead of facing: Notice the use of “elected” here. The way it has been used in this choice and the original sentence as well, it seems to suggest that the doctors have cast their votes for an entity named “retiring” instead of another entity “facing”. This is the incorrect use of the word. The intended meaning is that they have elected to – chose to – do one thing rather than the other. This incorrect use of “elected” makes this choice incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

I find it difficult sometimes to understand the intended meaning.. This is one area I guess that can't be learnt by any grammatical rules.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: e 25.B 24. A recent study has found that within the past few [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 15:31
A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.

Lets try to re-write this sentence as below
SOMETHING has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires <ignited by a meteorite impact that> contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.

Here Global forest fire is the reason for the extinction. Hence we need to use

SOMETHING has provided new evidence supporting the theory THAT global forest fires contributed to blah blah blah

Please give Kudos if you like the post

VP
VP
Followers: 205

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: e 25.B 24. A recent study has found that within the past few [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 22:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: e 25.B 24. A recent study has found that within the past few   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 22:08