Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [41]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [11]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [2]
Send PM
Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jscott319 wrote:
Isnt a square BOTH a Rhombus and a Rectangle? I though it can not separately be one or the other?

A square is a special type of:
Rhombus;
Parallelogram;
Rectangle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another --> EFGH is a rhombus --> all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) EFGH is a rhombus (all rhombus are parallelogram). Again all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

Bunuel - One doubt,
If the diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another then the 2 diagonals are of the same measure right? then it could be rectangle also because diagonals of rectangle are equal and bisect each other.....

Cheers
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Jp27 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another --> EFGH is a rhombus --> all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) EFGH is a rhombus (all rhombus are parallelogram). Again all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

Bunuel - One doubt,
If the diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another then the 2 diagonals are of the same measure right? then it could be rectangle also because diagonals of rectangle are equal and bisect each other.....

Cheers

The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another, means that the diagonals cut one another into two equal parts at 90°. If a rectangle is not a square, then its diagonals do not cut each other at 90°.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Bunuel - One doubt,

Cheers

The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another, means that the diagonals cut one another into two equal parts at 90°. If a rectangle is not a square, then its diagonals do not cut each other at 90°.

Hope it's clear.

yes Bunuel totally clear! many thanks for all your responses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 268
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Rhombus is a quadrilateral with all four sides equal in length. So, all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa.

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram --> all squares are parallelograms but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

For more on this topic check Polygons chapter of Math Book: math-polygons-87336.html

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

In 2, the diagonals are perpendicular bisectors could happen for a rhombus as well as a square right? Is that why we're saying it's Insufficient? As far as I know,diagonals are perpendicular bisectors of each other for square ,rhombus and even rectangles.Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
davesinger786 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Rhombus is a quadrilateral with all four sides equal in length. So, all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa.

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram --> all squares are parallelograms but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

For more on this topic check Polygons chapter of Math Book: math-polygons-87336.html

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

In 2, the diagonals are perpendicular bisectors could happen for a rhombus as well as a square right? Is that why we're saying it's Insufficient? As far as I know,diagonals are perpendicular bisectors of each other for square ,rhombus and even rectangles.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

From (2) the figure can be a square or rhombus, yes.

Diagonals of a rectangle are bisectors of each other but not perpendicular to each other, unless of course it's a square.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 268
Send PM
Oh ,right.My bad.It can't be a rectangle.Thanks for your explanation.Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
To prove that a quadrilateral is a square, you must prove that it is both a rhombus (all sides are equal) and a rectangle (all angles are equal).

(1) INSUFFICIENT: Not all parallelograms are squares (however all squares are parallelograms).

(2) INSUFFICIENT: If a quadrilateral has diagonals that are perpendicular bisectors of one another, that quadrilateral is a rhombus. Not all rhombuses are squares (however all squares are rhombuses).

If we look at the two statements together, they are still insufficient. Statement (2) tells us that ABCD is a rhombus, so statement one adds no more information (all rhombuses are parallelograms). To prove that a rhombus is a square, you need to know that one of its angles is a right angle or that its diagonals are equal (i.e. that it is also a rectangle).

The correct answer is E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
jscott319 wrote:
E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square?

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram.

(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another.

I answered B to this question.

Statement 1 is to broad. A parallelogram can be several things

Statement 2 correctly identifies this polygon as a rhombus. If this polygon is a rhombus then it IS NOT a square. By identifying the polygon as a rhombus doesn't this prove that the polygon EFGH IS NOT a square?

I am providing the official answer. Please help!

The GMAT uses the more controversial definition of a rhombus; in other words, all squares are technically rhombuses.

Statement 1

No because we could have a standard rectangle, rhombus or kite.

Statement 2

Too broad because we could have a rhombus- but not all rhombuses are squares; however, all squares are rhombuses.

Statement 1 and 2

The most that we can infer is that this shape is a rhombus- but we cannot exact any further details

E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 924
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey guys,

What we need for a square is

- The diagonals bisect each other at 90° and they are equal

Since question only gives that they bisect, it could also be a kite, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Ivey '22 (A)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Bunuel - One doubt,

Cheers

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel-a query,
If statement two read diagonals of EFGH are EQUAL,perpendicular bisectors of each other .Would that statement be sufficient by itself?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Leonfranco wrote:
Hi Bunuel-a query,
If statement two read diagonals of EFGH are EQUAL,perpendicular bisectors of each other .Would that statement be sufficient by itself?

Yes, because in this case EFGH has to be a square.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Ivey '22 (A)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Leonfranco wrote:
Hi Bunuel-a query,

Yes, because in this case EFGH has to be a square.

Thanks Bunuel.Really appreciate it.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts