Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Send PM
Re: Each correctional facility in a certain state has the same [#permalink]
kevincan wrote:
Each correctional facility in a certain state has the same number of interns. If Lockwood Correctional has 22% of the female interns in the state , does it have less than 20% of the male interns?

(1) Lockwood has between 18% and 21% of the state's male interns.
(2) Lockwood has more female interns than does any other facility in the state.

I think it's B (though I spent more than 2 min. to figure it out)

ok, st.1 definitely says nothing.

now, st2. I used numbers. Let's say there are total of 1000 inters in all state's correctional facility. Let's say there 500 males and 500 females. These people should be evenly distributed among at least 5 facilities (incl. Lockwood). Why "at least 5"? Well, st.2 says that Lockwood has more female interns than does any other facility in the state. Which is 22% from the question stem. So, it means that 78% remained females should be distributed in such a manner that no one facility has more that 22%. It could be only if you put this 78% in at least 4 facilities.

So, we have 1000 inters and 5 facilities. Since "each facility has the same number of interns", each facility has 200 people. Now we know that Lockwood has 22% of 500 females, which is 110. It means that there are 90 males in Lockwood (add up to 200). 90 out of 500 is 18% which is less than 20%. you can play with numbers, but I guess the outcome will be the same.

hope I didn't mess up:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
elgo wrote:
kevincan wrote:
Each correctional facility in a certain state has the same number of interns. If Lockwood Correctional has 22% of the female interns in the state , does it have less than 20% of the male interns?

now, st2. I used numbers. Let's say there are total of 1000 inters in all state's correctional facility. Let's say there 500 males and 500 females. These people should be evenly distributed among at least 5 facilities (incl. Lockwood). Why "at least 5"? Well, st.2 says that Lockwood has more female interns than does any other facility in the state. Which is 22% from the question stem. So, it means that 78% remained females should be distributed in such a manner that no one facility has more that 22%. It could be only if you put this 78% in at least 4 facilities.

So, we have 1000 inters and 5 facilities. Since "each facility has the same number of interns", each facility has 200 people. Now we know that Lockwood has 22% of 500 females, which is 110. It means that there are 90 males in Lockwood (add up to 200). 90 out of 500 is 18% which is less than 20%. you can play with numbers, but I guess the outcome will be the same.

you can't assume there are an equal number of male and female interns in the state though. There may be 200 female interns and 1,500 male interns for all we know.

I'm not even sure it can be figured out using both 1 and 2, but I'd love to find out
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
I am getting B
assume for instance that there are 100 female studensts and 100 male students
lockwood has 22 females

then others might have 21, 20, 19 and 18 female interns

assume that if 21 guys are in lockwood then there is no way 21+22=43 total student population, is going to be the same for other schools can have the same number of students if lockwood were to have more than 20 male students..try it..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
I am getting B
assume for instance that there are 100 female studensts and 100 male students
lockwood has 22 females

then others might have 21, 20, 19 and 18 female interns

assume that if 21 guys are in lockwood then there is no way 21+22=43 total student population, is going to be the same for other schools can have the same number of students if lockwood were to have more than 20 male students..try it..

but if we're just going off of the information in B, how can we assume there are an equal number of male and female students?

why couldn't there be 100 prisons and only 5 of them have female students at all? and the other 95 have all male guards, so that the percent at Lockwood is < 1%?

you could have 22% of the females at lockwood and only 5% of the males and still have the same number of students at each facility.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Send PM
eschn3am wrote:
elgo wrote:
kevincan wrote:

you can't assume there are an equal number of male and female interns in the state though. There may be 200 female interns and 1,500 male interns for all we know.

I'm not even sure it can be figured out using both 1 and 2, but I'd love to find out

you don't have assume that there an equal number of males and females (I just used it b/c it's easier to calculate:)

let's use your numbers:
total of 1700 people, who are evenly distributed among 5 facilities=> 340 interns in each. Then, 22% of 200 females, which is 44, is in Lockwood. It means that there are 340-44= 296 males. Finally, 296/1500=19.7%<20%.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
this one is killing me.

all I know is that 1 puts a limit on how small the number of men can be. Picking numbers like 22 women vs 4 men is too disparate. What's the limit?

To test 2, you should use that lower limit number from 1.

But I still dont know if this is sufficient, together. and It took me more than 5 minutes to get no answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
WIth at least 5 facilities and 22% of the women in the first one, the % of men can only approach 20% (as the total number of men approaches infinity).

To go to an extreme, imagine we've got 100 women and 1000000000 men to work with. That's 200000020 people per facility. 22% of the women is 22 women, leaving 199999998 men, or 19.9999998%

Imagine we kept the same 5 facilities and employed only 20% of the female interns in the first one. To have an equal number of total employees in each facility, 20% of the males would also have to be employed there too. But if we increase the % of women, we must decrease the % of men to keep things even.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts
GMAT Tutor
1906 posts