Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 May 2015, 22:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each correctional facility in a certain state has the same

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 1

Each correctional facility in a certain state has the same [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 09:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Each correctional facility in a certain state has the same number of interns, and each facility has interns of each sex. If Lockwood Correctional Facility has 22% of the female interns in the state, does it have less than 20% of the male interns?

(1) Lockwood has between 18% and 22% of the state's male interns

(2) Lockwood has more female interns than does any other facility in the state.

Please explain your answer

Last edited by tarek99 on 20 Jul 2008, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 4

Re: DS: Percentages [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 15:43
Very interesting DS. My pick is B.

Quote:
Each correctional facility in a certain state has the same number of interns, and each facility has interns of each sex. If Lockwood Correctional Facility has 22% of the female interns in the state, does it have less than 20% of the male interns?

(1) Lockwood has between 18% and 22% of the state's male interns

(2) Lockwood has more female interns than does any other facility in the state.

St1: is clearly insuff. (EDITED LATER: how wrong I was... See the later post).

St2: First, we can conclude than each of the other facilities has less than 22% female interns in the state… Which means that there must be at least 5 facilities (including Lockwood one). Also, since the number of interns is the same for all facilities and Lockwood has more females than does any other one => Lockwood has less males than any other one => the Lockwood male interns should constitute less than 100%/5 = 20% of the male interns in the state (because if we assume they constitute 20% or more, it would mean that each of the other facilities would constitute more, and, in order not to exceed 100%, we would have to conclude that there’re less than 5 facilities =>contradiction). Sufficient.

What is the OA?

Last edited by greenoak on 20 Jul 2008, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP

Re: DS: Percentages [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 16:00
OA is D....so can someone explain how???
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 4

Re: DS: Percentages [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 17:13
Aha! I think I got it.

For statement 1: Let m and f be the quantities of interns of the corresponding sex in state, and let’s calculate the minimum possible number of facilities. Minimum possible number of facilities corresponds to maximum possible number of interns in each facility.

The greatest percentage of males that Lockwood could contribute is 22% => The maximum number of interns in Lockwood (and thus, in each facility) is 0.22f+0.22m = 0.22(f+m) which means that the minimum number of facilities is no less than 1/0.22, or, in other words, no less than 5 (because the number of facilities should be an integer).

Now, if we assume that Lockwood contributes 20% or more to the number of males it would mean that it contributes at least 0.22f+0.2m>0.2(f+m) people – i.e., strictly greater than one/fifth. But, since the number of interns is the same it would mean that all other facilities would contribute more than 1/5 =>it is possible only if we have less than five facilities =>contradiction.

So, A is also suff… Overall, is indeed D.

Could you tell where is this Q from?
SVP
SVP

Re: DS: Percentages [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 01:25
greenoak wrote:
Aha! I think I got it.

For statement 1: Let m and f be the quantities of interns of the corresponding sex in state, and let’s calculate the minimum possible number of facilities. Minimum possible number of facilities corresponds to maximum possible number of interns in each facility.

The greatest percentage of males that Lockwood could contribute is 22% => The maximum number of interns in Lockwood (and thus, in each facility) is 0.22f+0.22m = 0.22(f+m) which means that the minimum number of facilities is no less than 1/0.22, or, in other words, no less than 5 (because the number of facilities should be an integer).

Now, if we assume that Lockwood contributes 20% or more to the number of males it would mean that it contributes at least 0.22f+0.2m>0.2(f+m) people – i.e., strictly greater than one/fifth. But, since the number of interns is the same it would mean that all other facilities would contribute more than 1/5 =>it is possible only if we have less than five facilities =>contradiction.

So, A is also suff… Overall, is indeed D.

Could you tell where is this Q from?

I got this question from Gmatprep
Re: DS: Percentages   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2008, 01:25