Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:13

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each employee of a certain task force is either a manager or

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [3] , given: 1

Each employee of a certain task force is either a manager or [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (02:16) correct 46% (01:25) wrong based on 239 sessions
Each employee of a certain task force is either a manager or a director. What percent of the employees on the task force are directors?

(1) the average (arithmetic mean) salary of the managers on the task force is 5000 less than the average salary of all the employees on the task force.
(2) the average (arithmetic mean) salary of the directors on the task force is 15000 greater than the average salary of all the employees on the task force.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 01 Nov 2013, 00:13, edited 2 times in total.
OA added.
15 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 2867

Kudos [?]: 18328 [15] , given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Each employee.. [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
achan wrote:
Each employee of a certain task force is either a manager or a director. What percent of the employees on the task force are directors?
1) the average ( Arithemetic mean) salary of the managers on the task force is 5000 less than the average salary of all the employees on the task force.
2) the average ( Arithemetic mean) salary of the directors on the task force is 15000 greater than the average salary of all the employees on the task force.

S_a - Average salary of all employees
S_m - Average salary for manager
S_d - Average salary of directors
d - # of directors;
m - # of managers.
Question \frac{d}{m+d}=?

(1) S_m=S_a-5000 --> Not sufficient to calculate ratio.
(2) S_d=S_a+15000 --> Not sufficient to calculate ratio.

(1)+(2) S_a=\frac{S_m*m+S_d*d}{d+m} --> substitute S_m and S_d --> S_a=\frac{(S_a-5000)*m+(S_a+15000)*d}{d+m} --> S_a*d+S_a*m=S_a*m-5000*m+S_a*d+15000*d --> S_a*d and S_a*m cancel out --> m=3d --> \frac{d}{m+d}=\frac{d}{3d+d}=\frac{1}{4}. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Or for (1)+(2): if we say that the fraction of the directors is x (x=\frac{d}{d+m}) then the fraction of the managers will be (1-x) (1-x=\frac{m}{d+m}) --> S_a=x(S_a+15000)+(1-x)(S_a-5000) --> S_a=x*S_a+15000x+S_a-5000-x*S_a+5000x --> x=\frac{1}{4}.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

5 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 321

Kudos [?]: 1271 [5] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: NEED HELP - 2 DATA SUFFICIENCY PROBLEMS [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
Question 1:

Okay, let us assume the number of managers are M and the number of directors are D. So the total number of employees = M +D

Average Salary of Manager = x
Average Salary of Director = y

So, we have: Total salary of all employees = Mx + Dy
Average salary of employee = Total salary/Total employees = \frac{Mx+Dy}{M+D}

Statement 1:

Average salary of manager = Average salary of employee - 5000

x = \frac{Mx+Dy}{M+D} - 5000

Cross multiplying to the other side we get:

x(M+D) = Mx + Dy - 5000

Cancelling Mx on both sides and rearranging like terms together we get:

D(y-x) = 5000 - (1)

However, this doesn't say anything specific to us. So we move on to the second statement.

Statement 1:

Average salary of director = Average salary of employee + 15000

y = \frac{Mx+Dy}{M+D} + 15000

Cross multiplying to the other side we get:

y(M+D) = Mx + Dy + 15000

Cancelling Mx on both sides and rearranging like terms together we get:

M(y-x) = 15000 - (2)

This doesn't say anything by itself either. But when we put the results of the two statements [(1) and (2)] together, we get:

D(y-x) = 5000
M(y-x) = 15000

Dividing statement 1 by 2 we get

\frac{D}{M} = \frac{5000}{15000} = \frac{1}{3}

M = 3D

Total = M+D = 4D

From here, we can say percentage of directors = \frac{D}{4D}*100 = 25%.

Hence answer is C.
5 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 92 [5] , given: 2

Re: NEED HELP - 2 DATA SUFFICIENCY PROBLEMS [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
[quote2raulmaldonadomtz]I don't understand how can you get the number of employees from an average salary. Can someone explain this problem. For me neither of the 2 statements answer the question.[/quote2]

We can't get the number. We can get the ratio of director to total though.

This is a weighted average problem. From (1) and (2) together, we know that the managers are 5,000 smaller than the grand average, and that the directors are 15,000 greater than the grand average, or:

5000----grand average-------------15000
(mgrs)----------------------------(dirctrs)

The managers are way closer to the grand average than are the directors. So, there must be way more managers than directors. In fact, there are 15000/5000 or 3 times as many managers as directors. So, the manager to director ratio is 3:1. Thus, the director to total ratio is 1:4, or 25%.

I discuss weighted average strategy in more detail here: mixtures-96284.html

(For question 2, whiplash's explanation was simply superb).

Kaplan Teacher in Toronto
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Each employee.. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 04:01
Let's call all employee A, manager M, and director D, so A=M+D. Their average salary is Sa, Sm, and Sd for A, M, and D respectively. The percentage of M and D are x% and y% respectively, so x+y=100%. We have the following equation:
Sa=\frac{x*Sm+y*Sd}{x+y} or Sa=\frac{x*Sm+y*Sd}{100}
Now consider the statement 1, it can be written as Sm=Sa-5000, not sufficient to determine x and y.
The same for statement 2, it leads to Sd=Sa+15000, not sufficient to determine x and y.
Nevertheless, using both statement, by eliminating the constant as follows:
3Sm+Sd=3*(Sa-5000)+(Sa+15000)
3Sm+Sd=4Sa
Sa=\frac{3Sm+Sd}{4}=Sa=\frac{75Sm+25Sd}{100}

Answer is C.

Hardworkingly, you like my post, so kudos me.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Each employee.. [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 11:14
thanks a lot bunuel!! i wonder how you know that someone posted the same question before. i did try to do a search, but couldn't find any...
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: Percentage of salary of directors. [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 18:58
From the given, avg salary = (D(X%) + M(100-X%))/100

Statement 1 doesn't provide any info on D. Not Sufficient
Statement 2 doesn't provide any info on M. Not Sufficient

Now we have 3 unknowns - with 2 equations...

Statement 1 & Statement 2 can come together to provide us with our 3rd equation, which is, on avg, M = D - 20,000

With 3 equations and 3 unknowns - u can find M, D & X. Sufficient

Answer: C

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 393 [2] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Percentage of salary of directors. [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 23:37
This post received
KUDOS
shan123 wrote:
In a work force, the employees are either managers or directors. What is the percentage of directors?
(1) The average salary for manager is $5,000 less than the total average salary.
(2) The average salary for directors is $15,000 more than the total average salary.

(1) : Tells us nothing about how many directors or managers
(2) : Again tells us nothing about how many

(1+2) : Say average salary is x and there be m fraction of managers and hence (1-m) directors

m(x-5000) + (1-m)(x+15000) = x
mx - 5000m + x + 15000 -mx - 15000m = x
15000 - 20000m = 0
m = (3/4)
Hence fraction of directors = (1/4)

Sufficient !
Answer is (c)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: Each employee.. [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 01:34
Bunuel - is my minimalist solution of just identifying 3 equations satisfactory?

Or do you recommend fully solving it out to see if I net a result?

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18328 [0], given: 2345

Re: Each employee.. [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 02:31
Expert's post
MackyCee wrote:
Bunuel - is my minimalist solution of just identifying 3 equations satisfactory?

Or do you recommend fully solving it out to see if I net a result?

Generally you can stop solving a DS question at the point you realize a statement is sufficient to get the answer. Note that for this question we don't need to solve for unknowns, we need to get the ratio of directors to total employees. I don't know what 3 equations are you talking about but the statements together are indeed sufficient to get the desired ratio and one can get this even not calculating its exact value.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Each employee.. [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 09:56
Good question. While you can not figure out the number of manager and directors available, you still can manipulate the two equations to get a ratio or percentage. I didn't do any calculations but knowing that there where two statements that are relative to one another and that has factors that do not cancel one another out when setting up the equation to solve for the ratio is enough to conclude that C is the answer.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Each employee.. [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 22:31
Bunuel wrote:
achan wrote:
1) the average ( Arithemetic mean) salary of the managers on the task force is 5000 less than the average salary of all the employees on the task force.
2) the average ( Arithemetic mean) salary of the directors on the task force is 15000 greater than the average salary of all the employees on the task force.

S_a - Average salary of all employees
S_m - Average salary for manager
S_d - Average salary of directors
d - # of directors;
m - # of managers.
Question \frac{d}{m+d}=?

(1) S_m=S_a-5000 --> Not sufficient to calculate ratio.
(2) S_d=S_a+15000 --> Not sufficient to calculate ratio.

(1)+(2) S_a=\frac{S_m*m+S_d*d}{d+m} --> substitute S_m and S_d --> S_a=\frac{(S_a-5000)*m+(S_a+15000)*d}{d+m} --> S_a*d+S_a*m=S_a*m-5000*m+S_a*d+15000*d --> S_a*d and S_a*m cancel out --> m=3d --> \frac{d}{m+d}=\frac{d}{3d+d}=\frac{1}{4}. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Or for (1)+(2): if we say that the fraction of the directors is x (x=\frac{d}{d+m}) then the fraction of the managers will be (1-x) (1-x=\frac{m}{d+m}) --> S_a=x(S_a+15000)+(1-x)(S_a-5000) --> S_a=x*S_a+15000x+S_a-5000-x*S_a+5000x --> x=\frac{1}{4}.

GREAT EXPLANATION.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Statistics [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 17:03
This post received
KUDOS
Good one.

To solve it under 2 minutes, I had to guess this one as C. You are provided two relationships: managers-all and directors-all. That should be likely enough to determine the number of managers and directors as note that the differences in average numbers are specific to the number of managers and directors.

To calculate, you can solve two equations such as:
1. Sm/m = (Sm+Sd)/(m+d) - 5000.
2. Sd/d = (Sm+Sd)/(m+d) + 15000.

You need to solve for d/m+d.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
Please consider giving +1 Kudos if deserved!

DS - If negative answer only, still sufficient. No need to find exact solution.
PS - Always look at the answers first
CR - Read the question stem first, hunt for conclusion
SC - Meaning first, Grammar second
RC - Mentally connect paragraphs as you proceed. Short = 2min, Long = 3-4 min

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 0

Re: Statistics [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
Supergmatgirl wrote:
Can you please elaborate?

One has to understand the concept of weighted averages pretty well to understand my solution.

The point of a weighted average is to know how much weight to give these two individual groups, the managers and the directors.

Statement 1 tells how the managers' salaries relate to employee average but there is no information about how the directors' salaries relate to the employee average.
Insufficient
Eliminate A & D

Statement 2 tells how the directors' salaries relate to employee average but there is no information about how the managers' salaries relate to the employee average.
Insufficient
Eliminate B

Statements 1 and 2 together:
The manager average is 5000 less than the combined average. The director average is 15000 greater than the combined average. The difference between the manager average and the director average is 20000.

If there were an equal number of managers and directors they would each be 10000 off of the combined average - that would be a 50/50 weighting.
But the combined average is closer to the manager average, so there are more managers than directors. Use the above three numbers to know how much: the difference is 20000, and the combined average is three-quarters of the way towards the manager average.

Hence, 3/4 of the employees are managers & 1/4 are directors.
Sufficient.

Hence C.

Hit kudos if my post helps you.
You may send me a PM if you have any doubts about my solution or GMAT problems in general.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Statistics [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 04:25
There should be a minor correction in the above equations - as the salaries are not same.
1. S1m/m = (S1m+S2d)/(m+d) - 5000.
2. S2d/d = (S1m+S2d)/(m+d) + 15000.

Going back to the weighted average method. I would think in this way, say if the average of all employee’s salary is 10K then that of Manager is(10-5) = 5K and of Directors is (10+15) = 25 k . So for each new directors, we need 3 managers to offset the total average from increasing. That’s it - meaning for every 4 employees - 3 are manager and 1 is director.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 28

Re: Each employee of a certain task force is either a manager or [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 18:19
Hey Bunuel,

What clue told you that "average salary of all the employees", your S_alpha was a weighted average?I tried solving the problem thinking it was an arithmetic average. Was the clue that the question did not specify that it was an arithmetic? Just puzzled. I mean it makes sense that its a weighted average but the question did not specify that info.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [3] , given: 102

CAT Tests
Re: Each employee of a certain task force is either a manager or [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
This can be solved in allegations method.
The ratio of the components is inverse of the ratio of their differences from the average.

#Managers:#Directors = Difference between salary between combined avg and directors : Difference between salary between combined avg and managers

M:D = 15000:500 = 3:1

D:M = 1:3

D:(M+D) = 1: (1+3) = 1:4

this way you can solve under 30 secs.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 422 [1] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Each employee of a certain task force is either a manager or [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
achan wrote:

(1) the average ( Arithemetic mean) salary of the managers on the task force is 5000 less than the average salary of all the employees on the task force.
(2) the average ( Arithemetic mean) salary of the directors on the task force is 15000 greater than the average salary of all the employees on the task force.

This is a question involving weighted average.
Having two quantities Q_1 and Q_2 with averages a_1 and a_2 respectively, if the combined average is a, and let assume that a_1>a>a_2, then we can write:

\frac{a_1Q_1+a_2Q_2}{Q_1+Q_2}=a from which a_1Q_1+a_2Q_2=aQ_1+aQ_2 or (a_1-a)Q_1=(a-a_2)Q_2, which means that the distances from the combined average are inversely proportional to the quantities.
This equality we can also be written as \frac{a_1-a}{a-a_2}=\frac{Q_2}{Q_1}.

To answer the question it is enough to know the ratio between the two types of employees.
In our case we have a certain number of managers Q_1 and a certain number of directors Q_2.
From the above, if we know the two differences between the combined average (average salary of all employees) and each type of average, then in fact we have the ratio between Q_1 and Q_2.
Sufficient

Answer C

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 02-21-2014
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 4

Re: DS Weighted Average [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 01:07
This post received
KUDOS
Let T be the total average salary.
M be the no of Managers
D be no of Directors.

1st Statement: Aveg salary of Managers is T-5000.
2nd Statement: Avg salary of Directors is T+15000

1st things first. None of the statements provide sufficient information when taken one at a time. So the answer is either C or E
Combine two statements and you get one equation:

(T-5000)*M + (T+15000)*D = T*(M+D)
(Average Salary of M * no of Managers + Average salary of D* no of directors = Total Average Salary T * (M+D)

solving this we get M=3D

So ratio of Directors = D/(D+M) = D/(D + 3D) = 1/4 = 0.25

Hence 25%. So the answer is C

DJ
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18328 [0], given: 2345

Re: DS Weighted Average [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 03:28
Expert's post
kingston wrote:
In a work force, the employees are either managers or directors. What is the percentage of directors?
(1) the average salary for manager is $5,000 less than the total average salary.
(2) the average salary for directors is $15,000 more than the total average salary.

c

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: DS Weighted Average   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2013, 03:28