Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 18:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:23) correct 54% (01:48) wrong based on 220 sessions
Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or division Y, but not both. If each division has some part time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees greater for division X than for Company Z?

(1) the ratio of the number of full time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for division Y than for Company Z

(2) More than half of the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of the part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Oct 2013, 05:49, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [5] , given: 0

Re: GMATPrep- DS: Employees [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or division Y, but not both. If each division has
some part time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees
greater for division X than for Company Z?

1) the ratio of the number of full time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for division Y
than for Company Z

2) More than half of the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of the
part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y

D for me.

let's assume the following:
f1 = nb FT employee for div X
p1 = nb PT employee for div X
f2 = nb FT employee for div Y
p2 = nb PT employee for div Y

We are asked to show that:
f1/p1 > (f1+ f2)/(p1 + p2)
develop this inequation and we get:
f1p2 > f2p1

Stat.1 says: f2/p2 less then (f1+f2) divided by (p1+p2), develop it and we get f1p2 > f2p1 => stat.1 sufficient

stat.2 says: f1>f2 & p2>p1, multiply this and we get:
f1p2 > f2p1 => stat.2 is sufficient

Ans. is D

ps: i had problems posting this because of the inequations that are interpreted as CODE by the program
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 08:32
I think I understand A now. even w/o setting up equations, I think I can deduce that b/c the ratio of FT/PT for Y is less than Z then FT/PT for X is going to be greater than Y.

Essentially the question is asking is FT greater for X and is the PT greater for Y.

Ex/ X: FTx/PTx = 6/5 Y: FTy/PTy 1/3

FTx/PTx > FTx+FTy/PTx+PTy ---> process of elimination thru subtraction yields

Is (FTx)(PTy)> (FTy)(PTx)?

S1:
If we do set up equations then we get: FTx+FTy/PTx+PTy > FTy/PTy

which when worked out similar to the equation above yields:
(PTy)(FTx)> (FTy)(PTx) the same as the above so Suff.

S2: No need for equations here. We can answer the question from our rephrased question.

Since MORE than half of the employees at Z are FT under X and more than half are of the employees at Z are PT under Y. Then this answers the question that is the ratio for X:

FTx/PTx> FTx+FTy/PTx+PTy. B/c the FTx is > the the PTx.

Let me know if my logic is correct. I think the nature of this question just spooked me and I just guessed.
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 182 [4] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
I think no point solving this one. Use guesswork

In the weighted average if ratio (full time / part time) increases in division X, the ratio automatically decreases in division Y to keep the weighted average (ratio) same for company Z. This reasoning is for Statement 2)

The same can be applied intuitively to Statement 1) Hence both will be sufficient.

I will guess D after glancing for 60 secs.

punyadeep wrote:
Q))Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either Division X or Division Y, but not both. If each division
has some part-time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time
employees greater for Division X than for Company Z?
(1) The ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for Division Y
than for Company Z.
(2) More than half the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of
the part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
I dont understand why you have to solve in 60 seconds and guess. You can take 90 seconds and be sure.

Yes %Full-Z will be a weighted average of %Full-X and %Full-Y. So either X>Z>Y or X<Z<Y, Z will always be in the middle.

So (1) is enough, as if Y<Z, then 'X must >Z'

For 2 we see that X has more full time and less part time than Y, therefore X>Y, and by extension also X>Z.

So both are enough,(D)
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 276 [2] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
I trudged through this for a while, and I can see now why it was not necessary:

PX + PY + FX + FY = Total

PX+PY = PZ

FX + FY = FZ

So the question is asking: FX/PX > (FZ)/(PZ)

From 1 : FY/(PY) < (FZ)/(PZ)

=> PZ * FY < FZ * PY

=> PZ ( FZ - FX) < FZ(PZ - PX)

=> PZ * FZ - PZ * FX < PZ*FZ - PX * FZ

=> PX * FZ < PZ * FX

=> FZ/PZ < FX/PX, so sufficient

From 2: FX > (FX + FY) /2 and PY > (PY + PX)/2

=> FX > FY and PY > PX

=> FX * PY > FY * PX

=> FX ( PZ - PX) > (FZ-FX)*PX

=> FX*PZ - FX*PX > FZ * PX - FX*PX

=> FX/PX > FZ/PZ, so sufficient

Hence the answer is D.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 276 [1] , given: 36

Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
@bostonrb

For 2 we see that X has more full time and less part time than Y, therefore X>Y, and by extension also X>Z.

jsu to calrify, are you saying that For x -> (Higher numerator)/(lower denominator) > For Y -> (Lower numerator)/(higher denominator) ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
Pretty much. What you wrote for denominators is accurate in terms of the ratio FT:PT, which is what the question is asking about.

In my post I referred to %Full Time, and although the relationship still stands, the lower/higher denominator would not be accurate for that because the denominator in that case would be FT+PT, not PT. Just ignore this caveat if its confusing.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
Lets say

Division X - Fulltime Employee's Fx
Partime Employee's Px

Division Y - Fulltime Employee's Fy
Partime Employee's Py

Total Full Time Employee's F = Fx+Fy
Total Part Time Emplyee's P = Px+Py

Rephrasing Given all they are asking is Fx/Px > (Fx+Fy)/(Px+Py) ? = > Fx/Px > Fy/Py?

1. Fy/Py < (Fx+Fy)/(Px+Py)

cross multiplying and solving this we get Fy/Py < Fx/Px , thats exactly what you had to find. So sufficient

2. Fx> Fy
Py> Px

Fx/Px Fy/Py
so division x has a bigger numerator than division y
and a small numerator than division y.

=> Fx/Px > Fy/Py

Sufficient

Hence Answer is D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 15:08
Lets say ratio was initially 1:1 for Z and for the divisions X 1:1 and for Y 1:1

Now I make the ratio for X as 1:4. Since X is 1:4 then Y will become 4:1 So that the weighted ratio is still 1:1. The same is true vice-versa.

So basically the DS is based on truism. :-)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 15:25
I dont think you understand the meaning of 'weighted' average. You are assuming X and Y have the same size/weight
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 15:34
Pardon me. a) ratios are fractions and not certain numbers and b) there is no statement - saying one division is superior over the other. I dont know what you mean by weight.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1038

Kudos [?]: 4535 [0], given: 162

Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 18:38
Expert's post
Actually, both of you are using exactly the same concept. You are just applying it differently.
bostonrb has depicted the use of weighted averages to solve it, gmat1220 is using it intuitively to solve the question and of course both of you are correct...

Quote gmat1220:
Lets say ratio was initially 1:1 for Z and for the divisions X 1:1 and for Y 1:1

Now I make the ratio for X as 1:4. Since X is 1:4 then Y will become 4:1 So that the weighted ratio is still 1:1.

This just means we are considering weights even if we are showing it in the form of ratios.

According to statement 1, Full:Part for Y is less than that for Z, it means fraction of Full time employees (Full/Total) is less in Y as compared to Z. Hence to get a higher fraction in Z, X must have an even higher fraction of Full time employees (Full/Total)
So if one group has a smaller Full:Part ratio, the other group must have a bigger Full:Part ratio.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 19:10
Actually... I did not use weights, just that z will always be between x and y regardless of their weights.

Dont mean to be rude but you gotta go read up on weights too, because you also dont understand them. e.g. If you make the ratio of X as 1:4 as gmat1220 says, it is completely INCORRECT to say that Y's becomes 4:1. And this is because of weights.

z= weightX*AverageX+weightY*AverageY. NOT (AverageX+AverageY)/2

Belie' dat :)
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 19:21
Karishma,
I didn't do math in this question. So let me throw numbers
20:40 initially for company Z
Let's change ratio of div X to 10:10 then the ratio of div Y becomes 10:30. But yes the intuition was right

If 40:40 initially for company Z
Let's change ratio of div X to 10:30 then ratio of Y becomes 30:10

Pls verify. Thanks for confirming

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1038

Kudos [?]: 4535 [1] , given: 162

Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Don't worry. I understand weighted average. What is intriguing is that we use these concepts often without even meaning to use them. When I say 'he is using weights', it means the general concept of 'weighted averaging'

Let me give you an example:

I have two solutions X and Y, 1 lt each, of wine and water. Solution X has wine:water in the ratio 2:3. I mix these two solutions to get wine:water ratio in the mixture as 1:1. What is wine:water in Y?
Guess what, the ratio of wine:water in Y is 3:2.

You can do it in various ways
Say working with concentration on wine:
1/2 = (2/5 * 1 + x*1)/2
x = 3/5

or we can simply say that wine in X is 40%, so wine in Y must be 60% to get 50% in mixture. This is averaging (or more generically weighted averaging... ) Here the weights are the same....

But the thing to note is that it doesn't matter whether we have the weights or now because due to averaging, the mixture will have concentration of wine in between X and Y.
If one understands this, one may not need to use any math and do it intuitively. Others may use the equations above to arrive at the same conclusion.

gmat1220, I believe, was using a generic example to explain why his intuition said what it did. If you want to get a ratio of 1:1 in the combined mixture and one mixture has a ratio of 1:4, the other will have 4:1 provided they both have equal weights (but we don't have to worry about the weights since eventually they do not matter in our question) So basically, it is the same general concept of weighted averages.

@gmat1220: I hope this answers your question too.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: ratios [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 05:33
Its an average weight problem .Have a look at an awesome article by Stacey (MGMT)
http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/01/26/breaking-down-gmatprep-average-arithmetic-problems
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 20

Re: GMATPrep- DS: Employees [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 21:05
Cant this be solved using fact and logic?

we know that company z, division x, division y each has both full time and part time employees.
There are no fractions , -ve number or 0 possibilities here.
Q is if FTX/PTX > FTY/PTY is true?

if it can be deduced that if FTZ/PTZ > FTY/PTY is true than Q is true.
Also for the Q condition to be true, company Z should have more full time employees in div X than div Y (i.e. in Q - num of left hand side should be higher than number of right hand side) and more part time employees in company Y than div X (i.e. in Q - denorminator of right hand side should be higher than denominatior of left hand side).

Both the statements gives very clear idea of the Q condition to be true.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 36

Re: GMATPrep- DS: Employees [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 03:46
@agdimple333

Please read this post, and the post from Ron Purewal for a conceptual explanation :

http://www.beatthegmat.com/ratios-t10513.html

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 543

Re: Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 23:19
Is there an alternative explanation for this question? What would be the difficulty level of this question?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Re: Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2013, 23:19