Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 46

Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 09:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:59) correct 30% (01:57) wrong based on 110 sessions
Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track tryouts: High jump, long jump, 100 meter dash. If 20 students participated in high jump tryout, 40 students participated in the long jump tryout and 60 students participated in the 100 meter dash tryout, and if 5 students participated in all 3 tryouts, how many students participated in only two of these tryouts?

(A) 25
(B) 20
(C) 15
(D) 10
(E) 5
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 115 [1] , given: 12

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

So the formula that we can work from is: Group A + Group B + Group C + Neither - Doubles - 2(Triples) = Total

So 20 + 40 + 60 + 0 - Doubles - 2(5) = 90

110-Doubles = 90

Doubles = 20

The above formula is critical. Although it is simple, it is important to really understand it. Once you do, groups will be much easier.

Happy Studies,

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 947 [1] , given: 895

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
its B

We are asked how much are in only two tryouts that means what is (H and L only) + (L and 100m only) + (H and 100m only)
Total = H + L + 100m - both + All + None
90 = 20 + 40 + 60 - both + 5 + 0
90 = 125 - both ----------> both = 35

35 = (H and L) + (L and 100m) + (H and 100m)

H and L only = H and L - all ------> H and L - 5
L and 100m only = L and 100m - all ------> L and 100m - 5
H and 100m only = H and 100m - all ------> H and 100m - 5

so (H and L only) + (L and 100m only) + (H and 100m only) = (H and L) + (L and 100m) + (H and 100m) - 15 ---------> 35 - 15 = 20.

Regards,

Abhijit.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1132

Kudos [?]: 5171 [4] , given: 164

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mun23 wrote:
Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track tryouts: High jump, long jump, 100 meter dash. If 20 students participated in high jump tryout, 40 students participated in the long jump tryout and 60 students participated in the 100 meter dash tryout, and if 5 students participated in all 3 tryouts, how many students participated in only two of these tryouts?

(A) 25
(B) 20
(C) 15
(D) 10
(E) 5

A venn diagram can show you exactly what you are supposed to do.
Attachment:
Ques4.jpg
Ques4.jpg [ 18.31 KiB | Viewed 2576 times ]

The high jump circle has 20 students. It includes the pink region (only High jump), d, e and 5 (students who tried all 3)
The long jump circle has 40 students. It includes the yellow region (only long jump), d, f and 5 (students who tried all 3)
The 100 meter dash circle has 60 students. It includes the green region (only 100 meter), e, f and 5 (students who tried all 3)

So when you add 20 + 40 + 60, you get 120 which is 30 more than 90. Why? Because in 20+40+60, you have counted, d, e and f twice and 5 thrice.
You need to subtract two times 5 and d+e+f once to get 90.
120 - 2*5 - (d+e+f) = 90
(d+e+f) = 20

This is how you get the formula: Group A + Group B + Group C + Neither - Doubles - 2(Triples) = Total

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 03:08
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mun23 wrote:

(A) 25
(B) 20
(C) 15
(D) 10
(E) 5

A venn diagram can show you exactly what you are supposed to do.
Attachment:
Ques4.jpg

The high jump circle has 20 students. It includes the pink region (only High jump), d, e and 5 (students who tried all 3)
The long jump circle has 40 students. It includes the yellow region (only long jump), d, f and 5 (students who tried all 3)
The 100 meter dash circle has 60 students. It includes the green region (only 100 meter), e, f and 5 (students who tried all 3)

So when you add 20 + 40 + 60, you get 120 which is 30 more than 90. Why? Because in 20+40+60, you have counted, d, e and f twice and 5 thrice.
You need to subtract two times 5 and d+e+f once to get 90.
120 - 2*5 - (d+e+f) = 90
(d+e+f) = 20

This is how you get the formula: Group A + Group B + Group C + Neither - Doubles - 2(Triples) = Total

I get your method here..however can you please explain the problem mentioned below as well...

The 38 movies in the video store fall into the following three categories: 10 action, 20 drama, and 18 comedy. However, some movies are classified under more than one category: 5 are both action and drama, 3 are both action and comedy, and 4 are both drama and comedy. How many action-drama-comedies are there?

In this question, we are looking for those movies that are in all 3 categories.

The answer I am getting is -1 which is wrong

38=48-12(i got this 12 by adding 5+3+4)-2x
therefore, 2=-2x

can you please help me fix this?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1132

Kudos [?]: 5171 [1] , given: 164

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 04:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Shini1 wrote:

I get your method here..however can you please explain the problem mentioned below as well...

The 38 movies in the video store fall into the following three categories: 10 action, 20 drama, and 18 comedy. However, some movies are classified under more than one category: 5 are both action and drama, 3 are both action and comedy, and 4 are both drama and comedy. How many action-drama-comedies are there?

therefore, 2=-2x

I am glad you asked this question. This is the reason I tell people to not use formulas in sets questions and to rely on their understanding of venn diagrams. The formula discussed above is used in case you know d, e and f i.e. no of people participating in two and only two events. In this question, the given numbers 5, 3 and 4 are not d, e, and f. They are the number of movies which fall into two groups as well as three groups. 5 movies which are both action and drama include those movies which are comedy as well i.e. which fall in all three categories.

In this case, the formula we use is
P(A u B u C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) – P(A n B) – P(A n C) – P(B n C) + P(A n B n C)
38 = 48 - 12 + x
x = 2

Think about this formula. P(A) includes P(A n B) which includes P(A n B n C). To avoid double counting in case of P(A), P(B) and P(C), you subtract P(A n B), P(A n C) and P(B n C) once but now you have subtracted P(A n B n C) thrice which means you haven't accounted for it at all. Hence, you add it back.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 12

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 07:33
Expert's post
Hi,

I'm not a big fan of Venn diagrams and have found that for groups, these formulas, once you really practice them, are big time savers. In this case, the formula would be:

Singles + Doubles + Triples = Total

24 + 12 + Triples = 38

Triples = 2

This is just a derivative of the other formula. You have to play around with this to get the hang of it. OG 13 PS #178 is a good one to practice with.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy studies.

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 08:23
I get Karishma's method .. Thanks :)

@ HerrGrau- how n here do you get your singles from :P
tried the OG prob too thank u ..and do we have your debrief on the site as well ..your verbal is outstanding ..need to know how for that as well ..
Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 12

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 13:39
Expert's post
Hi,

You can find the singles by subtracting all of the overlaps from the fake total (I call it the fake total because it is the total that counts all of the movies that are in different categories). In this case we are told that there are 12 overlaps. You have to multiply that by 2 because each overlap is in two groups (for instance, there are 5 doubles in action and in drama so those 5 doubles take up 10 slots). So the singles are 48-24 = 24. There is no doubt that the "formula" approach to groups takes practice but it does work very well once you are comfortable with the formulas and how the different groups interact. Maybe a combined approach with Venn Diagrams would work for you.

Let me know if you need more advice on this.

HG.

PS: I am planning on writing a debrief but haven't yet found the time:(

CEO
CEO
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 16:10
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 167

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 02:01
mun23 wrote:

(A) 25
(B) 20
(C) 15
(D) 10
(E) 5

Refer diagram below

We require to find value of shaded region = a + b + c

(Values in Blue are calculated)

Setting up the equation

20 + 55 - (b+c) + c + 35 - (a+c) = 90

a+b+c = 20

Answer = B
Attachments

jump.png
jump.png [ 6.49 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 167

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 02:14

therefore, 2=-2x

Refer diagram below

We require to find x

10 + 11 + x + 4 - x + 11 + x = 38

x = 2
Attachments

come.png
come.png [ 5.82 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Re: Each of 90 students participated at least 1 of the track try   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2014, 02:14