Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 931 [2] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

44% (02:06) correct 56% (01:13) wrong based on 183 sessions
Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys are randomly reassigned to the locks. What is the probability that exactly two of the keys fit the locks to which they are reassigned?

A 1/8
B. 1/6
C. 1/4
D. 3/8
E. 1/2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3419

Kudos [?]: 25096 [3] , given: 2702

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys are randomly reassigned to the locks. What is the probability that exactly two of the keys fit the locks to which they are reassigned?

a) 1/8

b) 1/6

c) 1/4

d) 3/8

e) 1/2

Total # of ways to assign the keys to the locks is 4!.

C^2_4 to choose which 2 keys will fit. Other 2 keys can be aaranged only one way.

So P=\frac{C^2_4}{4!}=\frac{1}{4}.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25096 [1] , given: 2702

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:

a) 1/8

b) 1/6

c) 1/4

d) 3/8

e) 1/2

Similar question with all possible scenarios: letter-arrangements-understanding-probability-and-combinats-84912.html?hilit=letter%20arrangements

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25096 [1] , given: 2702

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:
This is first question of Mgmat challenge set of Gmat Club tests.

Though while solving the tests my question was wrong, but later I tried to solve it and got the correct answer. I looked at the explanation it was too long. I have done in a simple way, but I m not 100% if I m correct.

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Solution
OA is C -1/4

Let L1,L2,L3,L4 are locks with K1,K2,K3,K4 respective keys.

Final output after merging them is L1K1, L2K2, L3K4, L4K3.
Now we have to find the probability of happening the above arrangement.

What I did was, I supposed the above arrangement to be M M U U where M - matching, U- un-matching

The above can be arranged in 4!/2!2! = 6

Total number of arrangement = total number of ways = 4! = 24

Hence the probability = \frac{6}{24} = \frac{1}{4}

No this approach is not right (you've got the correct answer because 2 keys which should be assigned incorrectly can be assigned only in 1 way {A-b; B-a}).

Consider this: if it were 5 locks instead of 4 and everything else remained the same.

Your approach would give MMUUU = \frac{5!}{2!3!}=10 --> total # of assignments 5! --> P=\frac{10}{120}.

But correct answer would be: C^2_5 - choosing which 2 keys will fit --> other 3 keys can be arranged so that no other key to fit in 2 ways: {A-b; B-c; C-a} OR {A-c; B-a; C-b}. So total # of ways to assign exactly 2 keys to fit would be C^2_5*2.

So P=\frac{C^2_5*2}{5!}=\frac{20}{120}.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 931 [1] , given: 235

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
A basket contains 3 white and 5 blue balls. Mary will extract one ball at random and keep it. If, after that, John will extract one ball at random, what is the probability that John will extract a blue ball?

The above question is from M14 q1. I solved it using steps by taking different conditions and solved it correctly.

the answer was 5/8.

I was wondering is this true for probability that whatever happens in between, the finally probability will remain same?
if I exclude "Mary will extract one ball at random and keep it. If, after that," still the probability is 5/8.

is this a co-incidence for a particular case?

I know if it had mentioned that mary picked a particular ball, then probability would have changed. I m talking about the case in which no specific thing mentioned. Actually I have seen such question earlier and I though it would be better to confirm it. I think if mary picks 2 balls without mentioning which ones, then the probability will remain 5/8.

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :

Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 469 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:10
gurpreetsingh wrote:

a) 1/8

b) 1/6

c) 1/4

d) 3/8

e) 1/2

Total ways to assign keys = 4! = 24

Ways to assign keys such that only 2 fit = Choose the 2 that fit = C(4,2) = 6

Note that once you pick the two locks on which the keys fit there is exactly one allocation of keys possible. For eg. If you pick Lock A & Lock B fit, the only allocation possible is [Key A, Key B, Key D, Key C]

So probability = 6/24 = 1/4

Answer (c)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 235

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:14
This is first question of Mgmat challenge set of Gmat Club tests.

Though while solving the tests I got it wrong, but later I tried to solve it and got the correct answer. I looked at the explanation it was too long. I have done in a simple way, but I m not 100% if I m correct.

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Solution
OA is C -1/4

Let L1,L2,L3,L4 are locks with K1,K2,K3,K4 respective keys.

Final output after merging them is L1K1, L2K2, L3K4, L4K3.
Now we have to find the probability of happening the above arrangement.

What I did was, I supposed the above arrangement to be M M U U where M - matching, U- un-matching

The above can be arranged in 4!/2!2! = 6

Total number of arrangement = total number of ways = 4! = 24

Hence the probability = \frac{6}{24} = \frac{1}{4}

Gmat test review :

CEO
CEO

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:34
Thanks Bunnel I got it....

Your letter arrangement thread is quite good !! I m able to answer probability questions, but these letter arrangement sometimes confuses me. +1

Gmat test review :

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25096 [0], given: 2702

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 06:27
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:
A basket contains 3 white and 5 blue balls. Mary will extract one ball at random and keep it. If, after that, John will extract one ball at random, what is the probability that John will extract a blue ball?

The above question is from M14 q1. I solved it using steps by taking different conditions and solved it correctly.

the answer was 5/8.

I was wondering is this true for probability that whatever happens in between, the finally probability will remain same?
if I exclude "Mary will extract one ball at random and keep it. If, after that," still the probability is 5/8.

is this a co-incidence for a particular case?

I know if it had mentioned that mary picked a particular ball, then probability would have changed. I m talking about the case in which no specific thing mentioned. Actually I have seen such question earlier and I though it would be better to confirm it. I think if mary picks 2 balls without mentioning which ones, then the probability will remain 5/8.

The initial probability of drawing blue ball is 5/8. Without knowing the other results , the probability of drawing blue ball will not change for ANY successive drawing: second, third, fourth... There is simply no reason to believe WHY is any drawing different from another (provided we don't know the other results).

If Mary extracts not 1 but 7 balls at random and keep them, then even after that, the probability that the last ball left for John is blue still will be 5/8.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

CEO
CEO

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 07:56
Yes Bunuel, I was thinking the same but you have confirmed it. This concept is quite helpful.

Thanks !!

Gmat test review :

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 193

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 09:02

1/8
1/6
1/4
3/8
1/2

Each of four locks has a matching key => 4 original keys and 4 matching keys. => total 8 keys. probability of finding 2 keys. => 2/8=>1/4=> correct..... i don't know if my approach is right or wrong. Please comment
thanks.

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 46

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 14:17
1. to find the probability: number of needed outcomes divide by the number of all possible outcomes
2. All possible outcomes - 4!
3. Find the needed number of outcomes:
Two options:
either 4C2= 4!/2!*2! or just write them down: FFNN(fit/non fit), FNFN, FNNF, NFFN, etc... There will be 6.
therefore,

Probability= 6/4!=1/4.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 495

Kudos [?]: 2029 [0], given: 30

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 14:21
Expert's post
Dhairya275 wrote:

1. 1/8
2. 1/6
3. 1/4
4. 3/8
5. 1/2
Help please ! Any Simple Solution ?

Dear Dhairya275
There are not hugely simple solutions to this. All solutions that occur to me involve using counting techniques. You might take a look at this blog post.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-proba ... echniques/

Total number of orders for 4 keys = 4! = 4*3*2*1 = 24

Of those 24 possible orders, how many have two keys in the right place and two in the wrong place. Suppose the locks are {a, b, c, d}. If the keys are in the order {A, B, C, D}, then all four are correct. To get two right & two wrong, we would need to select one pair from {A, B, C, D} and switch them. How many different pairs can we select from a set of four?

4C2 = \frac{4!}{(2!)(2!)}
= \frac{4*3*2*1}{(2*1)(2*1)}
= \frac{4*3}{2}
= 6

So, of the 24 sets, 6 of them would have two right & two wrong. P = 6/24 = 1/4

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 23

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 18:13
Bunuel wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:

a) 1/8

b) 1/6

c) 1/4

d) 3/8

e) 1/2

C^2_4 to choose which 2 keys will fit. Other 2 keys can be aaranged only one way.

I'm definitely missing something rather fundamental because I can't make out what connection I'm missing. I'm not able to apply the correct methodology to the correct problem -- ever. The way I tackled this problem(which was obviously wrong was):

There are 4 keys and 4 locks, therefore 16 combinations? Out of 16 possibilities, there are only 2 ways to arrange this so that the locks match - (Lock A, Key A), (LB, KB), (LC,KD) and (LD, KC) and another way is LBKB, LAKA, LCKD, LDKC. Therefore, I calculated 2/16 which is 1/8.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 00:58
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:

a) 1/8

b) 1/6

c) 1/4

d) 3/8

e) 1/2

I'm definitely missing something rather fundamental because I can't make out what connection I'm missing. I'm not able to apply the correct methodology to the correct problem -- ever. The way I tackled this problem(which was obviously wrong was):

There are 4 keys and 4 locks, therefore 16 combinations? Out of 16 possibilities, there are only 2 ways to arrange this so that the locks match - (Lock A, Key A), (LB, KB), (LC,KD) and (LD, KC) and another way is LBKB, LAKA, LCKD, LDKC. Therefore, I calculated 2/16 which is 1/8.

A - B - C - D (locks)
a - b - c - d (keys)
a - b - d - c
a - c - b - d
a - c - d - b
a - d - b - c
a - d - c - b

b - a - c - d
b - a - d - c
b - c - a - d
b - c - d - a
b - d - a - c
b - d - c - a

c - a - b - d
c - a - d - b
c - b - a - d
c - b - d - a
c - d - a - b
c - d - b - a

d - a - b - c
d - a - c - b
d - b - a - c
d - b - c - a
d - c - a - b
d - c - b - a

As you can see there are 4!=24 ways to assign keys to locks (arrangement of 4 keys). So, the number of total outcomes is 24.

Next, consider a case when exactly two of the keys fit the locks, say a and b fit and d and c not:
A - B - C - D (locks)
a - b - d - c (keys)

As you can see if a and b fit, d and c not to fit can only be arranged in one way as shown above.

Now, the number of ways to choose which 2 keys fit is C^2_4, so the number of favorable outcomes is 1*C^2_4=6.

P = 6/24 = 1/4.

Does this make sense?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 30 May 2014, 08:55
I think I got this one wrong.

I did the following

4C2 * (1/2)^4

4C2: Choosing which 2 keys will be the correct keys

(1/2)^4 = 1 correct and one incorrect choice for each key

Therefore, 3/8

Could anyone suggest what's wrong with this method?

Thanks
Cheers
J
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 30 May 2014, 09:11
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
I think I got this one wrong.

I did the following

4C2 * (1/2)^4

4C2: Choosing which 2 keys will be the correct keys

(1/2)^4 = 1 correct and one incorrect choice for each key

Therefore, 3/8

Could anyone suggest what's wrong with this method?

Thanks
Cheers
J

The denominator is wrong. It should be 4!, not 2^4. Please go through the solutions above.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 03:52
Just another approach.
The probability of choosing the first matching key is 1/4, the probability of choosing the second matching key is 1/3,
the probability of choosing the third not matching key is 1/2 and the probability of
choosing the fourth not matching key is 1. We've got 4!/2!2! =6 ways of doing so.
Thus the answer is 6*1/4*1/3*1/2*1 = 6/24 = 1/4
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 23:34
I was just going over probability questions.
can some one explain me what's wrong in my approach here.

Probability of choosing one right key out of 4 is 1/4.

Probablity of choosing another right key is 1/4.

since the question is asking for 2 right keys , probability is multiplication of both = 1/4 * 1/4 = 1/16.

I went through explanations here. but this is how I solved when i looked at problem. Can some one correct me why is this approach not taken?

Thanks
Re: Each of four different locks has a matching key. The keys   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2014, 23:34