Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GMAT 1: Q33 V27
GPA: 2.92
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 61

Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 23:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:44) correct 30% (02:11) wrong based on 98 sessions
Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or y. 0.5% of the products checked by x are defective and 0.8% of the products checked by y are defective. If the total defective rate of all the products checked by x and y is 0.75%, what fraction of the products was checked by y?

A. 3/5
B. 5/6
C. 7/11
D. 4/5
E. 5/8
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 23:47
Expert's post
navigator123 wrote:
Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or y. 0.5% of the products checked by x are defective and 0.8% of the products checked by y are defective. If the total defective rate of all the products checked by x and y is 0.75%, what fraction of the products was checked by y?

A. 3/5
B. 5/6
C. 7/11
D. 4/5
E. 5/8

The easiest way to do these types of questions is to look at the difference between x and y on a number line. x is at 0.5 and y is at 0.8, and together the average is 0.75. This means that every product checked by x brings down the average by 0.25 and every product checked by y brings up the average by 0.05. To balance these two out, y needs to check 5 products for every time x checks 1 product. Hence 1/6 of total checked by x and 5/6 of total checked by y.

Algebra works too but the number line strategy gets you the correct answer quickly. If you practice doing that, this is a 1-minute question, from starting to read to clicking "next".

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1192 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 00:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
You can use alligation to solve this.
Ratio X=0.75-0.5=0.25

Ratio Y=0.8-0.75=0.05
Now the ratio y/x is:
\frac{Y}{X}=\frac{0.25}{0.05} or \frac{5}{1}

So for 6 products there were 5 Y and 1 X. 5/6 is the answer
If you wanna know more about this method check my signature : mixture!

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-05-2013
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 14

Re: Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 01:59
This post received
KUDOS
navigator123 wrote:

A. 3/5
B. 5/6
C. 7/11
D. 4/5
E. 5/8

This is a allegation problem.

We can use a shortcut.

See the attachment for the shortcut.Its a simple one

So X/Y = 0.05/0.25 = 1/5

Therefore the fraction of products checked by Y = 5/6
Attachments

File comment: The shortcut
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 4.43 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]

"Kudos" will help me a lot!!!!!!Please donate some!!!

Completed
Official Quant Review
OG - Quant

In Progress
Official Verbal Review
OG 13th ed
MGMAT IR
AWA Structure

Yet to do
100 700+ SC questions
MR Verbal
MR Quant

Verbal is a ghost. Cant find head and tail of it.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 01:38
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 00:54
SrinathVangala wrote:
navigator123 wrote:

A. 3/5
B. 5/6
C. 7/11
D. 4/5
E. 5/8

This is a allegation problem.

We can use a shortcut.

See the attachment for the shortcut.Its a simple one

So X/Y = 0.05/0.25 = 1/5

Therefore the fraction of products checked by Y = 5/6

Hi, I am not aware of allegation. can you please explain about this or point me to some useful but short source.
Re: Each of the products produced yesterday was checked by x or   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2014, 00:54