Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6774 [93]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [29]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618703 [29]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Each of the students in a certain class received a single grade of P [#permalink]
Kudos
LM

I started to use Venn but there was no point IMHO.

We don't know what P or F or I represent. no proportion of the total class was given.

does 40% of P represent 10% of the entire class? 90% of the class?

what does 20% of F or I represent of the total percentage of the class? we dont know. maybe my reasoning is wrong, but that is how I came up with my answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT Date: 08-03-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Each of the students in a certain class received a single grade of P [#permalink]
So taking 1&2 together we know 80% of those with a fail/incomplete were male so 20% with F&I were female correct? If 40% of those who passed were female, then we can determine that 30% of the students were female.

This was my rationale towards an answer of C. Can anyone explain where I went wrong?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [3]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
LM wrote:
Each of the students in a certain class received a single grade of P, F,or I.What percent of the students in the class were females?

(1) Of those who received a P, 40 percent were females.
(1) Of those who received either an F or I, 80 percent were males.

Yup, its E. We can't assume that P,F or I are equally weighted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [4]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Takeaways: This one was a bit tricky because I approached the problem as a double matrix set but it had 3 variables in the columns and 2 variables(male/female) in the rows. I also attempted to do percentages that lead up to a total but it was getting more complex than I would like. What has helped was recognizing this as a weighted average problem. Therefore an easy method could be:
Each of the students received a single grade so
T (total) = F + P +I
Since we have male and female : T=(M)F+(F)F+(M)P+(F)P+(M)I+(F)I or organize like this T=(M)F+(M)P+(M)I+(F)F+(F)P+(F)I
Translating the statement word by word I got (W/100)T= F? which is the main question we are looking to answer but made it easier on myself by just writing (F/T)*100%=?
1. Of those who received a P, 40% were females
This is clearly insufficient because (F)(P)= .4P and (M)(P)= .6P does not give us any actual numbers to plug in and we still need the other weighted averages.

2. Of those who received either an F or I , 80% were males.
T=.8F+.2F+ (M)P+(F)P+(.8)I+(.2)I
Insufficient because we need actual numbers because weighted averages depend on quantities

(1) and (2)
Insufficient because although we have several percentages we still need quantities because we can have 80/100 total students in f and I be males but then have 4/10 students in P be women.

Bunuel - thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [10]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi GMAT01,

You ARE correct. When dealing with these type of broad percent-based questions, it's important to be a bit cynical. You do NOT know how many students are in each subgroup, so it would take a LOT of information to answer this question.

As an example, when Fact 1 tells us "Of those who received a P, 40 percent were females", we don't know if 5 people got a P (in which 2 of them were female) or 500 people got a P (in which 200 of them were female). Making the individual group numbers relatively big or relatively small will impact the overall calculation. This can save you some time and effort.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q36 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Nwsmith11 wrote:
Each of the students in a certain class received a single grade of P, F,or I.What percent of the students in the class were females?

So taking 1&2 together we know 80% of those with a fail/incomplete were male so 20% with F&I were female correct? If 40% of those who passed were female, then we can determine that 30% of the students were female.

This was my rationale towards an answer of C. Can anyone explain where I went wrong?

No, the correct answer is E. Consider the following examples:

P=50 and F+I=50, then the # of females = 0.4*50 + 0.2*50 = 30.
P=10 and F+I=90, then the # of females = 0.4*10 + 0.2*90 = 22.

Hope it's clear.

@Bunnel - Is it safe to say that in these type of questions until we get the entire class strength in either of the statements, we would always choose E. As stated in your example, we are plugging different set of values and getting different set of answers.

Thanks. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [4]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is a weighted average question.

(1) Females make up 40% of group 1 (P)
(2) Females make up 20% of group 2 (F or I)

Together, Female will make up somewhere between 20% and 40% of the whole population. The exact percentage depends on the ratio of group sizes. If there are twice as many people in group 1, then the percentage will be twice as close to group 1 datapoint (40%) as it is to group 2. On the other hand if there are three times as many people in group 2, then the percentage will be three times as close to group 2 datapoint (20%) as it is to group 1. Consider below scenario :-

Let T = total number of students in the class

Each received a single grade so T = F + P +I

? % of T = Females

1. of those who received a P, 40% were females

it doesnt give us the the exact number

2. of those who received either an I or I(I or I ??..may be one of the other two) , 80% were males.

Still it doesnt give us the number of females

so E
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [15]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
LM wrote:

We are given that each of the students in a certain class received a single grade of P, F, or I. We can let p = the number of students who received P, f = the number of students who received F, and i = the number of students who received I. Thus, the total number of students in the class is p + f + i. We need to determine the percentage of students who were females.

Statement One Alone:

Of those who received a P, 40 percent were females.

This means 0.4p students are females. However, since we know neither the values of p, f, and i nor the percentage of students who received an F or I, statement one alone is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statement Two Alone:

Of those who received either an F or I, 80 percent were males.

This means 20 percent of the students who received either an F or I were females. In other words, 0.2(f + i) students are females. However, since we know neither the values of p, f, and i nor the percentage of students who received a P, statement two alone is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statements One and Two Together:

From the two statements, we can say that the percentage of students in the class who were females is:

(0.4p + 0.2(f + i))/(p + f + i) x 100

However, since we don’t know the values of p, f, and i, we can’t determine the numerical value of the expression above. Statements one and two together are still not sufficient.

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Is this approch fine?
P = .4 F so .6 M
F+L = .8M so .2F

.4F+.2F\ (.6M+.4F)+(.2F+.8M)

Even after cancelling F we dont know M so not sufficiant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [2]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM