Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each of the vegetables in the store had been washed with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 0

Each of the vegetables in the store had been washed with [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

49% (01:31) correct 50% (00:41) wrong based on 226 sessions
Each of the vegetables in the store had been washed with vegetable wash before they were sold.

A) had been washed with vegetable wash before they were sold

B) was washed with vegetable wash before it was sold

C) was washed with vegetables washes before they were sold

D) had been washed with vegetable wash before it was sold

E) was washed with vegetable wash and had been sold after
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 11:26
A incorrect because past perfect is not needed as before correct define the sequence

B is correct

C They is incorrect , each of the vegetables is singular subject

D same A

E awkward
10 KUDOS received
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 133 [10] , given: 0

Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 21:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Official Answer:

There are two main issues in this sentence, pronoun and verb tense. I will choose to work with verb tense as the first issue. In this case, one thing happened before another in the past and therefore the first event requires the use of past perfect while the second event requires simple past. There are some cases, in which specific time is mentioned in which past perfect is optional but this is not such a case because the event happened at an undetermined time in the past. Therefore past perfect is required and B, C and E are eliminated.

The second issue is pronoun. Answer D uses "it" while Answer A uses "they". most people think the subject of the sentence is vegetables but the subject of a sentence cannot be in a prepositional phrase. Therefore, the subject of the sentence is Each, which is a singular pronoun thus the correct pronoun is "it" and the answer is D.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 543

Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
As per the meaning and sequencing of events The vegetables were washed and then they were sold.

Only A and D have the right tense. Since "each" is singular you need "it"

So A is incorrect because of "they" Hence Answer is D

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 04:25
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
Official Answer:

There are two main issues in this sentence, pronoun and verb tense. I will choose to work with verb tense as the first issue. In this case, one thing happened before another in the past and therefore the first event requires the use of past perfect while the second event requires simple past. There are some cases, in which specific time is mentioned in which past perfect is optional but this is not such a case because the event happened at an undetermined time in the past. Therefore past perfect is required and B, C and E are eliminated.

The second issue is pronoun. Answer D uses "it" while Answer A uses "they". most people think the subject of the sentence is vegetables but the subject of a sentence cannot be in a prepositional phrase. Therefore, the subject of the sentence is Each, which is a singular pronoun thus the correct pronoun is "it" and the answer is D.

I want to know if it is a questions from GMAC.

Also i want to know if the past perfect tense is actually required here since use of "before" already denotes the time sequence correctly. I want further discussion on this.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 06:20
Past perfect is not required when sequence of events is evident with the use of words like Before and After.
In this case before clearly states that vegetables were washed before selling.

Please let me know if my information on this subject is incorrect.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 02:55
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
Past perfect is not required when sequence of events is evident with the use of words like Before and After.

above idea is correct.

this question is wrong. both choice b and d are correct.

If anyone in this gmat forum know anybody traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam on around 25 Jan 2014, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some problem and need your help. Thank

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 06:44
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:

I don't agree with you. I think that 'before' is obvious signal that we must use 'had' to indicate 1 action occurred before another one. If its possible cite the source for such a strict rule that you said. thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Each of the vegetables in the store had been washed with [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 03:20
i think option b is correct as the use of the word "before" clearly states that the veggies were washed before selling...could someone please elaborate and explain why we cannot omit the use of past perfect tense.

Thanks
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 1000 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Each of the vegetables in the store had been washed with [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 03:35
Ace99 wrote:
i think option b is correct as the use of the word "before" clearly states that the veggies were washed before selling...could someone please elaborate and explain why we cannot omit the use of past perfect tense.

Thanks

In fact you can go either way. B and D are both fine.

If the order of the events is clear "X before Y" the past perfect is not required (I cannot say it's wrong, but it's unnecessary).
There is no much evidence to choose between B and D, so if you pick B you are fine.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 200

Re: Each of the vegetables in the store had been washed with [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
'D' stands out as the most logical answer here ....Use of past perfect is very much needed ...Other difference being use of 'it' as Each of needs a singular pronoun...

Now as Zarrolou has pointed out that its not necessary to use past perfect if the sequence of the actions has been clearly demarcated using "BEFORE" ...As far as grammar says ... If the Past Perfect action did occur at a specific time, the Simple Past can be used instead of the Past Perfect when "before" or "after" is used in the sentence. The words "before" and "after" actually tell you what happens first, so the Past Perfect is optional. For this reason, both sentences below are correct.
Examples:

She had visited her Japanese relatives once in 1993 before she moved in with them in 1996.
She visited her Japanese relatives once in 1993 before she moved in with them in 1996.

On the other hand..

If the Past Perfect is not referring to an action at a specific time, Past Perfect is not optional. Compare the examples below. Here Past Perfect is referring to a general action rather than an action at a specific time. For this reason, Simple Past cannot be used.
Examples:

She never saw a bear before she moved to Alaska. Not Correct
She had never seen a bear before she moved to Alaska. Correct

Last edited by abhijeetjha on 20 Aug 2013, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 70

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 08:59
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
Official Answer:

Really nice explanation. Except for I did not understand past perfect and everything. Anyways I looked up.
Re: Each of the vegetables   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 08:59