Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 83

Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 00:57
PranavChamp wrote:
St 1 : InSuf
piglet A fed 1/4 of oats.
St 2 : InSuf
piglet B fed 1/6 of barley.

St 1+2 : Suff

There are total 10 parts of Oats & Barley
Piglet A fed 2 parts out of 10. These 2 parts weigh 0.5 pound.
So 10 parts weigh 2.5 pounds.
Each piglet fed 0.5 pound so we can say that 2.5/0.5 = 5 piglets

How have you come up with 2 parts?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1134

Kudos [?]: 5192 [0], given: 164

Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 20:19
Expert's post
Raihanuddin wrote:
PranavChamp wrote:

You do not know that oats and barley were mixed in the ratio 4:6 i.e. you cannot say that there are 4 parts of oats and 6 parts of barley. They could be in any ratio and hence we cannot say that piglet A was fed 2 parts of the mix.
Look at the explanations given in previous posts.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 83

Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 21:55
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Raihanuddin wrote:
PranavChamp wrote:

You do not know that oats and barley were mixed in the ratio 4:6 i.e. you cannot say that there are 4 parts of oats and 6 parts of barley. They could be in any ratio and hence we cannot say that piglet A was fed 2 parts of the mix.
Look at the explanations given in previous posts.

Thank you very much.
Can you please give two or three variation of this question so that I can practice and familiarize myself with this type of question?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1784

CAT Tests
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 02:53
Does anyone have any concrete proof such as a screenshot showing that this is a GMATPrep question? I doubt that GMATPrep would be this difficult.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 23

Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 10:01
dkj1984 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I understood your explanation for the general part,however,with reference to this problem,I am still a little confused.

Can u please elaborate on the usage of the weighted average method for this problem.

Thanks!

Regards,

Ok, let me explain using a different example.
Say a meal consists of a sandwich and a milkshake. You eat 1/2 of the sandwich and drink 1/2 of the milkshake. Can I say you have had 1/2 of the meal? Sure, right?
If you eat only 1/4 of the sandwich and drink 1/4 of the milkshake, then you would have had only 1/4 of the meal.
What happens in case you eat 1/2 of the sandwich but drink only 1/4 of the milkshake? In that case, you have had less than 1/2 of the meal but certainly more than 1/4 of the meal, right?

So when piglet A is fed 1/4 of the Oats and 1/6 of the Barley, it is fed less than 1/4 of the total food but more than 1/6 of the total food.

Another thing to consider here is that number of piglets has to be a positive integer, say 'n'. Now, since it is given that each piglet gets the same amount of food and there are n piglets, each piglet will get 1/n of the total food. So piglet A must have got 1/n of the total food too.

This 1/n must lie between 1/4 and 1/6. Only 1/5 lies between 1/4 and 1/6 (such that n is a positive integer). Hence n must be 5.

Hi Karishma,

I was with you until the highlighted statement above. I understand the logic as to why piglet A is fed less than a 1/4 but more than a 1/6. That being said, why is 1/5 the only other variables? Even though piglets have an integer constraint, I fail to see how that translates into your last statement?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1134

Kudos [?]: 5192 [0], given: 164

Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2014, 00:16
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:
dkj1984 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I understood your explanation for the general part,however,with reference to this problem,I am still a little confused.

Can u please elaborate on the usage of the weighted average method for this problem.

Thanks!

Regards,

Ok, let me explain using a different example.
Say a meal consists of a sandwich and a milkshake. You eat 1/2 of the sandwich and drink 1/2 of the milkshake. Can I say you have had 1/2 of the meal? Sure, right?
If you eat only 1/4 of the sandwich and drink 1/4 of the milkshake, then you would have had only 1/4 of the meal.
What happens in case you eat 1/2 of the sandwich but drink only 1/4 of the milkshake? In that case, you have had less than 1/2 of the meal but certainly more than 1/4 of the meal, right?

So when piglet A is fed 1/4 of the Oats and 1/6 of the Barley, it is fed less than 1/4 of the total food but more than 1/6 of the total food.

Another thing to consider here is that number of piglets has to be a positive integer, say 'n'. Now, since it is given that each piglet gets the same amount of food and there are n piglets, each piglet will get 1/n of the total food. So piglet A must have got 1/n of the total food too.

This 1/n must lie between 1/4 and 1/6. Only 1/5 lies between 1/4 and 1/6 (such that n is a positive integer). Hence n must be 5.

Hi Karishma,

I was with you until the highlighted statement above. I understand the logic as to why piglet A is fed less than a 1/4 but more than a 1/6. That being said, why is 1/5 the only other variables? Even though piglets have an integer constraint, I fail to see how that translates into your last statement?

We need the solution for 1/n such that n is an integer. It must lie between 1/4 and 1/6 i.e. between .25 and .1666. What integer value can n take? Can it be 7? Will 1/7 lie between 1/6 and 1/4? Can it be 3? Will 1/3 lie between 1/4 and 1/6? n cannot be greater than 6 or less than 4 because it goes out of range. So n must be 5.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2014, 00:16