Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 May 2016, 11:27
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Pushing Hard
Affiliations: GNGO2, SSCRB
Joined: 30 Sep 2012
Posts: 89
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.33
WE: Analyst (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [3] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 09:47
3
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:01) correct 32% (02:02) wrong based on 293 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each student at a certain university is given a four-character identification code, the …rest two characters of which are digits between 0 and 9, inclusive, and the last two characters of which are selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet. If characters may be repeated and the same characters used in a different order constitute a different code, how many different identification codes can be generated following these rules?

A. 135,200
B. 67,600
C. 64,000
D. 60,840
E. 58,500
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If you don’t make mistakes, you’re not working hard. And Now that’s a Huge mistake.

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 32
Schools: Duke '16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [5] , given: 14

Re: Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 10:01
5
This post received
KUDOS
manishuol wrote:
Each student at a certain university is given a four-character identification code, the …rest two characters of which are digits between 0 and 9, inclusive, and the last two characters of which are selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet. If characters may be repeated and the same characters used in a different order constitute a different code, how many different identification codes can be generated following these rules?

A . 135,200
B. 67,600
C. 64,000
D. 60,840
E. 58,500


Four character identification code
_ _ _ _
First two parts for the code, are digits between 0-9, therefore, 10 options for the first part of the code,
and as characters may be repeated, 10 options for the second part as well
Therefore, we have 10 X 10 possibilities for the first and second part of the code

Last two parts of the code, are characters selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet, therefore, 26 options for the third part of the code,
and as characters may be repeated, 26 options for the fourth part as well
Therefore, we have 26 X 26 possibilities for the third and fourth part of the code

so, in all total no. of different identification codes generated following these rules
= 10 X 10 X 26 X 26 = 67600

Answer B
_________________

Consider giving +1 Kudo :) when my post helps you.
Also, Good Questions deserve Kudos..!

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done!!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 627
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 807 [0], given: 208

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Each student at a certain university is given a four-char [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2013, 00:36
Expert's post
Source : Jeff Sackmann Extreme Challenge

Each student at a certain university is given a four-character identification code, the …rest two characters of which are digits between 0 and 9, inclusive, and the last two characters of which are selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet. If characters may be repeated and the same characters used in a different order constitute a different code, how many different identification codes can be generated following these rules?


(A) 135,200
(B) 67,600
(C) 64,000
(D) 60,840
(E) 58,500
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 33063
Followers: 5776

Kudos [?]: 70912 [2] , given: 9857

Re: Each student at a certain university is given a four-char [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2013, 00:41
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GNPTH wrote:
Source : Jeff Sackmann Extreme Challenge

Each student at a certain university is given a four-character identification code, the …rest two characters of which are digits between 0 and 9, inclusive, and the last two characters of which are selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet. If characters may be repeated and the same characters used in a different order constitute a different code, how many different identification codes can be generated following these rules?


(A) 135,200
(B) 67,600
(C) 64,000
(D) 60,840
(E) 58,500


Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solution above and ask if anything is unclear.

Similar questions to practice:
all-of-the-stocks-on-the-over-the-counter-market-are-126630.html
if-a-code-word-is-defined-to-be-a-sequence-of-different-126652.html
the-simplastic-language-has-only-2-unique-values-and-105845.html
a-4-letter-code-word-consists-of-letters-a-b-and-c-if-the-59065.html
a-5-digit-code-consists-of-one-number-digit-chosen-from-132263.html
a-company-that-ships-boxes-to-a-total-of-12-distribution-95946.html
a-company-plans-to-assign-identification-numbers-to-its-empl-69248.html
the-security-gate-at-a-storage-facility-requires-a-five-109932.html
all-of-the-bonds-on-a-certain-exchange-are-designated-by-a-150820.html
a-local-bank-that-has-15-branches-uses-a-two-digit-code-to-98109.html
a-researcher-plans-to-identify-each-participant-in-a-certain-134584.html
baker-s-dozen-128782-20.html#p1057502
in-a-certain-appliance-store-each-model-of-television-is-136646.html
m04q29-color-coding-70074.html
john-has-12-clients-and-he-wants-to-use-color-coding-to-iden-107307.html
how-many-4-digit-even-numbers-do-not-use-any-digit-more-than-101874.html
a-certain-stock-exchange-designates-each-stock-with-a-85831.html

Hope this helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 328
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 23

Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2014, 10:37
karishmatandon wrote:
manishuol wrote:
Each student at a certain university is given a four-character identification code, the …rest two characters of which are digits between 0 and 9, inclusive, and the last two characters of which are selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet. If characters may be repeated and the same characters used in a different order constitute a different code, how many different identification codes can be generated following these rules?

A . 135,200
B. 67,600
C. 64,000
D. 60,840
E. 58,500


Four character identification code
_ _ _ _
First two parts for the code, are digits between 0-9, therefore, 10 options for the first part of the code,
and as characters may be repeated, 10 options for the second part as well
Therefore, we have 10 X 10 possibilities for the first and second part of the code

Last two parts of the code, are characters selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet, therefore, 26 options for the third part of the code,
and as characters may be repeated, 26 options for the fourth part as well
Therefore, we have 26 X 26 possibilities for the third and fourth part of the code

so, in all total no. of different identification codes generated following these rules
= 10 X 10 X 26 X 26 = 67600

Answer B

Can't it be Letter.Number.Letter.Number? Doesn't this add further combinations?

Additional question -- I followed the approach of 26C2 * 10C2. Why is that wrong? Is it because the combination formula take's the order into account? How would I unorder it?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2014
Posts: 30
GMAT Date: 11-01-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 43

Re: Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 07:37
Can someone help me out with this question..
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 338
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 717 [3] , given: 84

Re: Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 04:57
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sagarag wrote:
Can someone help me out with this question..


Hi sagarag,

The question here is asking us to fill four places with given set of letters and digits. We are given a constraint that first two places can only be filled with digits and the last two places can only be filled with letters. We are also told that the characters can be repeated. Let's see the number of ways in which each place can be filled.

1st Place: The 1st place of the code needs to be filled with digits only. The total number of digits which we have is 10 ( from 0 to 9 both inclusive). So, there are 10 ways in which we can fill the first place.

2nd Place: The 2nd place also needs to be filled with digits only. Since we are given that digits can be repeated, we have again 10 ways (from 0 to 9 both inclusive) to fill the 2nd place. Had the question constrained us that digits can't be repeated, we would have had 9 ways to fill the 2nd place( as one of the digits would have been used to fill the 1st place)

3rd place: The 3rd place can be filled with letters only. The total number of letters which we have is 26 (from A to Z both inclusive). So there are 26 ways in which we can fill the 3rd place.

4th place: The 4th place also needs to be filled with letters. Since the letters can be repeated, we have again 26 ways (from A to Z both inclusive) to fill the 4th place. Had the question constrained us that letters can't be repeated, we would have had 25 ways to fill the 4th place( as one of the letters would have been used to fill the 3rd place).

As the code constitutes of four characters, the number of ways of filling the four places can be written as = 10 * 10 * 26 * 26 = 67,600 ways.

Hope it's clear. Let me know if you have trouble at any point of this solution :)

Regards
Harsh
_________________

https://e-gmat.com/courses/quant-live-prep/

Image

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 6429
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 271

Kudos [?]: 1903 [0], given: 161

Re: Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 10:32
Expert's post
Hi All

Although the question is from last year, it doesn't look like anyone answered russ9's question.

There are a couple of reasons why using the Combination Formula (as he did) is incorrect:

1) We're dealing with unique codes, so order matters (the prompt states "...the same characters used in a different order constitute a different code..." Thus, permutation "math" is appropriate here.
2) Duplicate characters ARE allowed, so choosing one character does NOT impact how we choose the next.

When trying to decide whether to use Combination "math" or Permutation "math", it's usually best to do a quick 'sketch' of what you're after. If ABC is different from BAC and CBA, then it's a permutation. If a GROUP of letters (A, B and C) is the same group as (B, A and C), then it's a combination.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2015
Posts: 7
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 2.67
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 09:17
karishmatandon wrote:
manishuol wrote:
Each student at a certain university is given a four-character identification code, the …rest two characters of which are digits between 0 and 9, inclusive, and the last two characters of which are selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet. If characters may be repeated and the same characters used in a different order constitute a different code, how many different identification codes can be generated following these rules?

A . 135,200
B. 67,600
C. 64,000
D. 60,840
E. 58,500


Four character identification code
_ _ _ _
First two parts for the code, are digits between 0-9, therefore, 10 options for the first part of the code,
and as characters may be repeated, 10 options for the second part as well
Therefore, we have 10 X 10 possibilities for the first and second part of the code

Last two parts of the code, are characters selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet, therefore, 26 options for the third part of the code,
and as characters may be repeated, 26 options for the fourth part as well
Therefore, we have 26 X 26 possibilities for the third and fourth part of the code

so, in all total no. of different identification codes generated following these rules
= 10 X 10 X 26 X 26 = 67600

Answer B


Great explanation of the governing concept. I'd like to add something, though.

Since time is a concern I found myself using this shortcut:
Instead of 10 x 10 x 26 x 26 I used 10 x 10 x 26 x 25.
Changing the last 26 to a 25 allowed me to multiply by 100 then divide by 4 (=25) instead of multiplying by another 26.

10 x 10 x 26 x 100 / 4
10 x 10 x 26 = 2600, 2600 x 100 = 260.000, 260.000 / 4 = 65.000

You know that 26 is barely above 25, so you're looking for the answer that is above, but close to 65.000. 67.600 is the clear answer. Saved myself a good 20-30 seconds because I could do the whole calc in my head.

Another look at it shows me a quicker way, as soon as you know that its 10 x 10 x 26 x 26 you know that the answer's last non-zero digit will be a 6 (you're first non-zero calculation in long multiplication will be 6 x 6 [= 36]). There's only one choice!

Just my $0.02 :).
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Posts: 52
Location: United States
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 15:52
Bunuel...Why are we not multiplying it by 4! to account for the different ordering that can be got.


Bunuel wrote:
GNPTH wrote:
Source : Jeff Sackmann Extreme Challenge

Each student at a certain university is given a four-character identification code, the …rest two characters of which are digits between 0 and 9, inclusive, and the last two characters of which are selected from the 26 letters of the alphabet. If characters may be repeated and the same characters used in a different order constitute a different code, how many different identification codes can be generated following these rules?


(A) 135,200
(B) 67,600
(C) 64,000
(D) 60,840
(E) 58,500


Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solution above and ask if anything is unclear.

Similar questions to practice:
all-of-the-stocks-on-the-over-the-counter-market-are-126630.html
if-a-code-word-is-defined-to-be-a-sequence-of-different-126652.html
the-simplastic-language-has-only-2-unique-values-and-105845.html
a-4-letter-code-word-consists-of-letters-a-b-and-c-if-the-59065.html
a-5-digit-code-consists-of-one-number-digit-chosen-from-132263.html
a-company-that-ships-boxes-to-a-total-of-12-distribution-95946.html
a-company-plans-to-assign-identification-numbers-to-its-empl-69248.html
the-security-gate-at-a-storage-facility-requires-a-five-109932.html
all-of-the-bonds-on-a-certain-exchange-are-designated-by-a-150820.html
a-local-bank-that-has-15-branches-uses-a-two-digit-code-to-98109.html
a-researcher-plans-to-identify-each-participant-in-a-certain-134584.html
baker-s-dozen-128782-20.html#p1057502
in-a-certain-appliance-store-each-model-of-television-is-136646.html
m04q29-color-coding-70074.html
john-has-12-clients-and-he-wants-to-use-color-coding-to-iden-107307.html
how-many-4-digit-even-numbers-do-not-use-any-digit-more-than-101874.html
a-certain-stock-exchange-designates-each-stock-with-a-85831.html

Hope this helps.
Re: Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2015, 15:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic At a certain university, 7 students from the 10-student history depart Bunuel 1 08 Apr 2016, 02:51
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic At a certain university, the dormitory policy is that each dormitory m Bunuel 6 05 May 2015, 02:35
17 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stores X, Y, and Z each sell a certain item that has a given bulletpoint 6 14 Oct 2013, 06:24
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of the 720 students at a certain university, 25 percent are jobeto12 3 20 Jul 2013, 19:35
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student msunny 4 13 Dec 2009, 12:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Each student at a certain university is given a four-charact

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.